1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dave Joerger?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, May 7, 2016.

1. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Disagree, I think Hollins is a vastly overrated coach. Joerger was more creative and flexible offensively. I think Memphis's decline on both ends was due to aging personnel and injuries and not due to coaching. That franchise has an identity and if it loses that identity to go play fast-paced small ball, the Grit and Grind are basically going to be playing someone else's game poorly.

2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

The Press Conference has been set in Sacramento for tomorrow, Joerger will be their next HC.

#122 treyk3, May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
  3. hakeemthagreat

Hollins overrated? Lmao. He brought them back from the dead. Nobody cared about Memphis until Hollins got there. Not understanding how you can credit Joeger but say Hollins is overrated:confused:

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

feels like we were never really in the mix. hard to know, but damn...Sac town got themselves a great young coach.

5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

My personal feeling is that we weren't ready to commit to him and Sacramento made known he was their first and last choice. Hopefully our patience is worth it, I think Joerger is a great coach.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources: As Kings, Dave Joerger push to finalize agreement today, deal would be three guaranteed years and a team option for a fourth.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojVerticalNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/729729163423162368">May 9, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I know there is a lot going on behind the scenes and I don't know if I prefer Joerger over Vogel, but I can't help but be a little sad that the most analytics driven coach in the league seems to be choosing the Kings over the Rockets.

If we were strongly interested in him, and I think we must have been, that tells you a lot about the state of the franchise.

8. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

How did he do in Brooklyn? Joerger made the playoffs all three years too. A lot of the improvement was due to savvy personnel changes and the emergence of Conley and Gasol. Hollins' offenses eschewed the three for back-to-the-basket post ups and mid-range jumpers. It all worked fine as long as the defense held up, but against a good offensive team they didn't have the firepower to keep up. Joerger took two games from the champs last year, I'd say he's a good coach in his own right.

9. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I highly doubt he is choosing the Kings over the Rockets. More likely scenario is that Joerger wasn't the clear cut #1 choice here so he moved quickly to secure a different job.

10. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Agreed. The likely scenario.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Brought them back from the dead is strong. I mean Mike Fratello led them to the dead.... but I don't think Fratello's a bad coach. He took over for Hubie, made the team better for a bit (but still no postseason wins), then circumstance led to a bad year, Fratello leaving, Gasol being traded, etc.

With Hollins, it was the opposite. He took over a team that didn't have Zach Randolp. The next year it did. He took over a team with a 21 year old Mike Conley and rookie Marc Gasol. Circumstances come together and it is not surprising that they gradually got better.

But yeah, I think it is clear Hollins definitely CAN be a good coach. A system in place. Players seemed to like him. Etc. But is also clear that he probably isn't some kind of amazing coach or anything.

And if someone prefers Joerger over Hollins (as I certainly would), it's a fine take.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dave Joerger has agreed to a deal in principle to become the new Sacramento Kings coach, league sources tell <a href="https://twitter.com/TheVertical">@TheVertical</a>.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojVerticalNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/729737110605815808">May 9, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Joerger will sign three-year deal -- with a team option for 4th -- paying him $4M per year. Contract coming, possible news conference today.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojVerticalNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/729737634608611328">May 9, 2016</a></blockquote>

14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I out Woj'd Woj.

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Jeez... disappointing that the Kings are a more attractive opportunity than the Rockets.

16. Nook

Nook Member

They aren't more attractive that the Rockets.

He didn't want to wait.

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

He actually did wait. We didn't make an offer it appears. Instead, we are interviewing Blatt and Kenny Smith.

Update: it appears we didn't even interview him?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15493889/ex-cleveland-cavaliers-coach-david-blatt-interviewing-houston-rockets

#137 NewRoxFan, May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
  18. Vivi

Vivi Member

So, Joerger himself is was pushing to join the freaking Kings?

If that's true we shouldn't have a problem picking the coach "we" want.

19. chandlerbang21

Houston running out of competent coach options

20. Fantasma Negro

Coach the best big in the league in Demarcus Cousins, another chance to coach Rudy Gay probably re-sign Rondo and have weekly meetings with Shaq vs coaching a roster full of tweener chuckers and have weekly meetings with some nerd that tells you how to coach? Yes, the Kings are a more attractive opportunity