1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Conley wants to play with Harden?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by #CTCJET, May 5, 2016.

1. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Even if this is true Conley isn't good enough to warrant the contract he's going to get. You need underpaid/undervalued players to win a championship, not overpaid ones.

Honestly the future of this team looks pretty grim. If they can't sign KD they can't compete with the Warriors, Spurs, or Cavs. It would be best to try to build a team who's championship window doesn't co-inside with those teams'.

As crazy as it sounds, the best thing to do might be trying to trade Harden for the #1 pick.

2. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

Trade a top 5 proven player in the league for a question mark with upside? That is basically rebuilding....but I am high on Ben Simmons. Thats a tough one.

3. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Some good comments here, we need better shooters to compete.. Ariza is great but he hit a cold spell at the wrong time.... Just putting this out there random statement I like the Wolves roster better than ours...

4. hakeemthagreat

You're not getting CP3, Lillard, Curry or any of the elite pg's. You have to be realistic in assessing this. If Conley's available you have to nab him up. I like Beverley too, but Conley's too good to pass up. What exactly did you have in mind as other options?

5. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Oh yeah, definitely. Towns is absolutely incredible, I think he'll be the best player in the league in 5 years. Wiggins is no slouch either.

1 person likes this.
  6. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

TBH I don't like any of the realistic options.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Conley is awesome. Doesn't rely on his athleticism a lot. Smart player, strong voice on the court. Will demand respect from Harden and the rest of the team too.

I would give him the max. He's a great two way player, not easy to find someone efficient on both ends and a great personality.

2 people like this.
  8. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Good points here I agree with you, I am like a lot of people hesitant about giving this much money to someone who by definition may not be a gamebreaker??? To me franchise players are gamebreakers... I dont know if Mike is a Gamebreaker...?

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Conley next to Harden would be amazing, and Bev would make a great back-up behind Conley and Harden especially if he can continue to improve his 3 point shot.

If you get Conley you can keep this core together and you just need to get a Ryan Anderson or another big with range, you can keep Dmo, let Jones go, and you have a good team for next year.

2 people like this.
  10. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

I like this a lot , a good plan B when we strike out on Durant, However Ryan Anderson is only as good as the Star next to him in the front court in the paint..

11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Can we make the cap room to sign Conley whiteside and Anderson or Conley Barnes whiteside?

1 person likes this.
  12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

If we could make Conley-Whiteside-Anderson happen that would be sick.

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

No.

In today's NBA free agency market, Conley, Barnes and Whiteside will all be given max contracts. And Anderson likely won't get a max, but it will be above 18M/per for sure. There are just too many teams with Max cap room to burn. People will spend it. And GSW will match any Barnes offer as a RFA.

14. craguin

craguin Member

15. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Haha, didn't everyone here got this excited before Lawson joined the team? What makes people think it will work out this time?

This team doesn't needs PG, but interior defender, and maybe good shooters?

#115 daoshi, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
  16. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets will do extremely well to get Whiteside and Conley.

I will say this, if the Rockets add Conley and Whiteside and get Vogel, they will have one of the 2-3 best defenses in the NBA.

17. spark06

spark06 Member

In before more Cyber fortune-cookie news.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Well, for one Conley is a better player than Lawson.... he is a vastly better defender, he actually works hard.... he isn't an alcoholic that has lost two steps.

The Rockets need players that work hard, together and can defend and are leaders. That is Conley. Also do not under estimate the importance of point guard defense in the scheme Vogel runs.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Conley can hit 3's, he can defend, he can be a playmaker, he is composed - he's the perfect Robin to Harden.

You have Conley and it's like what you hoped Jeremy Lin was going to be x 2.

We'd have the best backcourt in the NBA - on par with Curry/Thompson.

You would just need guy who can space the floor for those guards - which is why Anderson would be the perfect fit. Throw in Whiteside for rebounding and defense as well as a finisher - and you are good to go.

20. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I said early on that targeting Conley along with wing and two guard help is what I would do. (Conley, Lee & Thabo - then ship out Ariza (value) and Brewer to get a serviceable big to pair with Capela).

Why?

Because centers are overpaid in the league and no longer have the impact they used to.

Because this is a guard dominated league and you need to have:
    1. multiple shot creators
    2. multiple shot makers (3 pt for spacing)
    3. multiple wing defenders (not just to cover up for harden - but to guard teams like GS)

I'd go balls to the wall on Conley and make him plan A, B & C.