1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Astros "What Needs to be Done" Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, May 5, 2016.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am hopeful that we can find a place for team analysis. So much ends up in series threads and elsewhere.

Lets see if we can consolidate it here.

2. ThaShark316_28

Simple, yet effective:

Go 17-12 this month, and 15-11 next month.

Right at .500 with a 10 game homestand before the all-star break.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

How do we go about scheduling the Twins more often?

Really, I don't want them to do anything right now, stay the course. The 2 things I wanted them to do (Devenski starting, take Giles out of high leverage situations) they've already done.

Tyler White needs to play less frequently, but I think they're doing that too. I don't want him demoted, or mothballed because I think he can still help us long term, and that's the best way to work him through this. AAA won't help him learn to hit MLB pitching.

The promotions of Reed and Moran would be next on the itinerary if White, and Valbuena don't start producing.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Better starting pitching... better situational hitting.

The bullpen is not as big a concern... they haven't been tasked to protect many leads thus far, and despite Giles' struggles thus far, the Oakland game was actually his first blown save. Harris/Gregerson have been even better than last season thus far. If Giles gets his head on right (and given his last 2 appearances, in lower pressure situations, it doesn't look like a physical issue), the bullpen becomes that much more dangerous.

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Looking over the team stats, we are still getting nothing from DH, 1B & 3B. Sound familiar? Yup. Same offensive holes as last year :(

DH: Gattis & Tucker have nearly identical offensive stats, neither good. Its bad enough to have a underperforming DH, but to have two roster spots dedicated to two players that not only have no offense, but cant play another position is a real waste.

1B: White looked like the real deal early, but has since fallen off the map. Maybe a White/Reed swap is in order.

3B: Valbuena is nobuena. Moran time people.

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

#1 Bring up Moran immediately.
    #2 Bring up Reed at Super 2 deadline.
    #3 Have a short leash with the back end of our rotation. Every start should be an audition for these guys. Our top 5 should no longer be a question mark by the all-star break, whether solidified by in-house options or a trade.
    #4 Trade for Lucroy. There are suddenly no catcher mentions on this thread. Don't be that fickle. I could care less about a sudden short-term "hot stretch" from Castro, and, regardless, he's likely gone after this year, and Lucroy fills the need perfectly. Would be an enormous boost to our offense.

Those combined with the return of McCullers should have us where we need to be. Hopefully we haven't dug ourselves too deep of a hole, and if they are going to continue their road mental midgetry, no changes/upgrades they make will matter.

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Good post. Though #4 may conflict with 1 or 2 based on Milwaukee's huge asks for Lucroy so far (or so we've heard).

Add to it, fix Keuchel somehow. Whether it's rest, DL, mechanics, a hypnotist, or something else...this team isn't going anywhere without him getting back on track.

[​IMG]

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

I wouldn't think Moran carries a ton of value, but perfectly fine shipping him in any package for Lucroy. I'm eager to bring him up because Valbuena is putrid and he represents an instant upgrade, not because I have sky high expectations or hopes for him.

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Tough call on White. While I understand your point and concerns, he won the job because of his production. That lasted two weeks. The last two weeks he has been abysmal.

As far as learning ML pitching, the same argument could be made for Singleton.

The problem with playing him less frequently is that neither Marwin or Valbuena is hitting well either. So while I am not totally against giving him more time, the power outage at 1B persists even when he isnt playing.

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Agreed

When would that be exactly?

Yup

I am finding myself reluctant to do another Giles type trade right now. Believe me, I have no illusions about Castro. But fixing 1B, 3B and DH are higher on the priority list I think. And given these areas will take time to address, we can revisit the catcher situation and need later.

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

This would be my current roster:

2B Altuve
    RF Springer
    SS Correa
    LF Rasmus
    CF Gomez
    DH Gattis
    1B White
    C Castro
    3B Moran

Bench: Tucker, Valbuena, Marwin, Marisnick

Rotation: Keuchel, McCullers, McHugh, Fister, Fiers
    Bullpen: Feldman, Fields, Neshek, Giles, Sipp, Harris, Gregerson

Gattis would be the backup C. Kratz would be DFA to add Moran, who replaced a high K bat in Valbuena with a high contact bat at the bottom of the order. Valbuena moves into a bench role where as a LHB he can platoon with both White and Moran. Marwin serves as a defensive replacement for 1B/3B as well as backup SS/2B. Tucker platoons at DH with Gattis and can also platoon in LF (subbing in for Springer/Gomez with Rasmus and the other OF playing CF/RF). Marisnick serves as a defensive replacement in the OF and pinch runner.

Fiers and Fister would be on a short leash with Feldman, Devenski, Feliz, Peacock, and Musgrove lined up.

Giles would be given 2-3 more weeks of low leverage work. If he succeeds shift him back to the 8th inning role; if he fails, send him to AAA and callup Hoyt or Feliz.

Start working the phones to acquire another ace at the deadline. If White or Tucker enters a prolonged slump, call up Reed. If Altuve or Correa suffers a lengthy injury, call up Bregman. 40 man chopping block order would be Kratz, Wojo, Chapman, Minaya, Duffy, Gonzalez.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

There is no way i'd DFA Kratz until Gattis proves he can do the job.

13. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I get that Castro is better at throwing people out than Conger was..but was Conger better at working with the Pitchers? I think people underestimate a Catchers duties.

I remember when Pudge Rodriguez was behind the plate for the Rangers, the Pitchers didn't pitch as well as when his 39yr old backup (I forget his name) was behind the plate. The reason was that Pudge refused to do any homework and talk to the pitchers. Meanwhile, his backup (although he wasn't near as good at hitting) would watch game films of his upcoming opponents and really brought a lot of insight to the Pitchers during the game. Rangers pitchers actually pitched much better with him behind the plate - and it really showed when Pudge went out with an injury.

14. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

You never know the exact Super 2 deadline until the end of the season, teams worrying about Super 2 usually wait until June though before bringing those guys up

As for Lucroy, by all reports if you truly want to make a move for Lucroy you better be ready to give up Reed or Bregman, one of the top pitching prospects and another lower level guy. I don't think I would be ready to do that. While that might fill a need at the catcher spot, it would likely leave another trouble spot (1B) with less good options to improve, and even if our rotation was pitching up to expectations, only 2 of those guys (plus Lance) should really be looked at as long term options, so I would be really reluctant to give up Martes/Musgrove/Paulino in any deal that wasn't for a pitcher with some team control. We really need one of those guys to turn into a quality major league pitcher

15. The Beard

With a team who has a pitching staff that is struggling badly, why on earth would you demote Devenski?

And I think it is pretty clear they have been working with Gattis behind the plate, if they were seeing anything that they liked i'm sure that move would have been made already

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

With Stassi's return imminent there's insurance there. Kratz's days are numbered either way.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Once McCullers comes back, who does Devenski replace? You can't send Feldman, Fister, or Fiers to the minors. So to keep a rookie with a low ceiling and just a few MLB appearances you're going to release one of those 3?

The delay in Gattis catching may simply be caution or health related. No sign whatsoever that they have given up on the idea, especially since they keep talking about it.

18. The Beard

1) Bring up Moran and trade/dfa Valbuena. You could likely trade him pretty easily for a low level minor league guy. Him and Marwin have been terrible at the plate trying to hold down 3B for us. Valbuena has a .541 OPS and Marwin has a .569. Marwin has value to the team with his versatility, and it's not likely he continues to be as bad as he has been, but it's time to pull the plug on Valbuena who doesn't have much upside anyway even if he "gets going"

2) Bring up AJ Reed and send White back to AAA. I think White has a good future ahead of him in mlb, he understands hitting. Most young players face struggles early in their career, many are sent back down to "get right" and then come back at some point and succeed. While I do understand the idea that "he can't learn to hit mlb pitchers at AAA, he can certainly get his stroke back and confidence back down there. Meanwhile Reed can get his first taste of the bigs, and maybe he would give the lineup a jolt of power. It's time

3) Something has to be done at the backup catcher spot, I won't pretend to know the answer, but we can't keep going with Kratz. I know he doesn't play a lot, but 1-19 with 9 K's.....have to at least have a "threat" when you go to your backup. Not sure who, but there has to be someone available who would at least be below average as a backup, as opposed to a black hole

4) Figure out what is going on with Keuchel. Did he throw too many innings last year? If so and they think a month off could help, bring up Musgrove and sit Dallas down for a while. We could survive being without him a bit, but we aren't going anywhere long term (and by long term i'm talking about the long season THIS year) without him being an Ace.

5) Gary Pettis was one heck of a defensive outfielder. The man was a stud. He is horrendous in his current job though. I have no idea what kind of a person he is, and what he might bring to the club in the clubhouse or what he brings to the team in workouts or whatever, so maybe he should stay around in some capacity....but for the love of God please replace him as the 3B coach

19. The Beard

On Gattis, i'm sure they haven't given up on it. But whether its performance related or surgery related, you can't make that move until he is ready for it. I would prefer going after another backup if they don't think Gattis would be ready to play there within the next few weeks.

Fister has been our most consistent starter so he definitely stays. Of course you don't send Feldman or Fiers to the minors or release them, but you could dang sure send Fields down and put Fiers in the pen. As long as Devenski keeps throwing well, you don't send him down, not in a season in which you are trying to win. If his performance at some point says he shouldn't be in the rotation, then you make that move. As of right now though, he has probably been the best pitcher on our team this year.

Also, if you feel like Musgrove is "ready if needed" you could move Feldman in a trade pretty easily. He wouldn't bring back anything major of course, but he is a guy who could be moved for something. Heck, maybe someone has a catcher at AAA who would improve us immediately as a backup and they need a pitcher....

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I'm not sure Fields has options remaining. If he does then I agree that makes keeping Devenski up more plausible.