1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

RIP GOP PARTY 1854-2016 - GOP Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by IBTL, May 3, 2016.

1. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

A ringing endorsement from TraderJ.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I feel like we are living in a protracted version of Padme's realization that the Republic was about to die.

3. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Why so serious?

IBTL and justtxyank like this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Tough hill to climb glynch.

Citizens United left open the possibility of Congress reforming campaign finance laws (albeit much weaker), but I doubt either party really wants to and they would rather point fingers at the Supremes to overturn the decision.

I hope it gets better, but when is another matter.

5. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

You keep throwing the word racist out there in reference to about 50% of the population of the US. What exactly are you talking about?

6. Northside Storm

maybe not 50%, but a significant part of the Trump base.

http://www.complex.com/life/2016/02/31-percent-trump-supporters-say-whites-superior-race

31 percent of Trump voters in South Carolina either think "whites are the superior race"--or they're "unsure" (?)

That's like tens of thousands of people.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

There's one key distinction you are forgetting.

Democratic crazies end up becoming Internet memes.

Republican crazies end up in Congress... or worse.

[​IMG]

IBTL likes this.
  8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't think I could ever bring myself to do it, but there is a part of me that would vote for Hillary just to help show how embarrassing the current GOP is.

I'm strongly considering voting against every Republican on the ticket in protest of Donald Trump (My ballot has always been at least slightly mixed, though majority Republican).

9. Raven

Raven Member

The GOP serves wall street, and main street finally figured that out. Trump won, because he was the only non wall street candidate available. Cruz was toast the min voters found out that his wife worked at Goldman Sachs. Trump vs Clinton should make Democrats very worried. Trump vs Sanders should make Trump supporters very worried.

BTW, neoconservatism is officially finished at the national level. Good!

10. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

/thread

IBTL likes this.
  11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

good to see you back here posting again

12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

The majority of the GOP especially have been fooled into voting against their economic interests based on racism, homophobia, misguided versions of religion promoted by wealthy evangelists, the propaganda from the corporate media. The patience of the American public especially lower income GOP voters has been surprising but they have finally started hurting to the point at which they are lashing out against their leaders. Hence the immediate rejection of Jeb, Scott Walker, and the rest of them. They are turning to a strong man Donald Trump who is somewhat similar to the fascistic leaders who arise at these times.

If the Dems especially can't start to address the economic pain of the lower 80%, with actual deeds and not just tinkering with social issues, talking about the S.Ct. or promoting tiny economic changes, Trump types and even more harsh strongman leaders will probably become more common.

IBTL likes this.
  13. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Guess who voted in the current congress? The democrats will be hard pressed to take back the house IMO, but if they at least take back the senate, they might be able to get a little bit done. Those low income Republicans who keep voting against their self interest and those low income democrats who skip the mid year elections have nothing but themselves to blame for the current situation in the government.

IBTL likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

This.

The Democrats are not retaking the House. They would need to nearly run the table to take the House and local politics is different than national.

The Senate has a chance to flip Democratic, and likely will if Clinton wins the Presidency.

IBTL likes this.
  15. okierock

You do realize that that percentage was of Trump supporters in SC back when there were LOTs of GOP candidates. This means that 16% of a small percentage of people polled in SC are idiots. I'm pretty sure we could find a similarly racist group of people that support Hillary if we look in the right place.

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Trump's funny. His idea of politics...take the Pakistani doctor who helped catch Bin Laden..."I would tell Pakistan to release the doctor or were not going to give you any more money". Yea...okay. He's going to be way in over his head imo once he gets in office. His one-liners aren't going to get him anywhere then. But, hey, he thinks he would make a great president. And, "I'm going to make Mexico pay for the wall!". ;)

IBTL likes this.
  17. Northside Storm

9% of Rubio fans thought the same thing.

You want to find the thousands of white supremacist Hillary fans? I'm having a bit of trouble.

18. okierock

Do you think that only white people are racist?

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Well you can blame tens of millions of less educated working class voters
    who see little difference between two centrist parties -- or you can ask for more inspiring politicians pushing easy to understand benefits like free college, national healthcare, guaranteed four week vacations of the types other advanced countries

20. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I'll go there...

[​IMG]

IBTL likes this.