1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Radiohead

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BrieflySpeaking, May 3, 2016.

1. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

2. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

This was the best thing ever to wake up to. Thank you music gods.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I actually like the ambient sound and vocals, but would still prefer some actual drums. Kid A had the perfect combination of both IMO.

4. Caesar

Caesar Member

I like it though Thom's voice seems to be a bit too low. I can barely hear him over the sound of the bass and strings.

5. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i give it a 3.6.

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Very familiar Jonny's string plucking from There Will Be Blood. Bass line reminiscent of "Airbag".

7. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I've never listened to Radiohead before, but this song sounded good. I'll have to torr.... buy their discography and check them out.

8. Pete the Cheat

tour date showing March 3rd at Toyota Center...hard to plan a year in advance...but hopefully gonna be a good birthday week.

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Start with:

The Bends
    OK Computer

Then:
    In Rainbows
    Amnesiac
    Hail to the Thief

Then and only then will you be ready for the insanity that is music's modern masterpiece: Kid Mother****ing A.

Light up a spliff and let it blow your mind.

Then you can also listen to:
    Pablo Honey
    The King of Limbs

#29 moestavern19, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
  10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I believe that was the last time they were here. 3/3/2012.

They haven't announced a Houston show as of yet.

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

my favorite radiohead words:

You and whose army?
    You and your cronies..

12. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Sounds like I've got some catching up to do. I like Audioslave, have no idea how or if that relates at all. But my music taste isn't very broad, so I kind of define music into 4 sectors, HipHop and R&B/ Rock/ Country/ Pop. Radiohead and Audioslave in my mind are both Rock bands.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Radiohead is a transcendent rock band. Pablo Honey is their kind of ****ty (by their standards) debut with the song "Creep" that ends up making them a household name. Then they make "The Bends" which is a ridiculously ****ing good album. They follow that up with "OK Computer" which is modern rock perfection.

Then they completely flip the script and make "Kid A" which is more electronica / avante garde and half the Radiohead fans revolt against it and the other half realize it's pretty much the most inventive, bold work ever.

A year later they release Amnesiac which is basically thought of as the leftover tracks from Kid A. It's still pretty damn awesome.

Hail to the Thief is next and it's a bit of a departure from the Kid A sound. I don't consider it one of their finest albums, but it definitely has moments of brilliance.

So then they say "**** everybody" and their next album In Rainbows is released solely on their website as a "pay what you want for it" album. And it's ****ing amazing. It's a very intimate album. The kind of album you can rock the sheets to.

Then they put out The King of Limbs in 2012 and it's kind of ok. It's pretty experimental and actually sounded really good live. Its a decent album but just can't really stand up compared to their other godly albums. However the track "Codex" is one of my favorite Radiohead tracks. A real gem.

14. Pete the Cheat

my buddy sent me a screen grab from their facebook page on Sunday before they took down all their social media. was joking now we didn't have to buy tix to lollapalooza...

cautious optimism?

15. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Pair Amensiac and Kid A together. Amnesiac is pretty much part 2 of Kid A.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Nice write up.

What's funny about Pablo Honey is that I think the opening track (You) is one of their better songs. Love the opening riff. It's always sounded more like a Bends track than a PH track to me. Hidden gem IMO.

17. Spooner

Spooner Member

18. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

One day I woke up and was like man, I've really only loved one Radiohead album the past 15 years.

Amnesiac - liked
    Hail to the thief - liked some songs
    In Rainbows - loved
    King of Limbs - indifferent

It's weird, because I still think of them as one of my favorite bands and have enormous anticipation for each new release. But man, I've only loved 25% of their output for the last 15 years. That's over half my music-appreciating life!

I think I probably skew the most from Radiohead fans in my rating of Amnesiac. I've always viewed it quite literally as the weaker, b-sides that didn't make it on Kid A. Or more accurately, it's kind of like the slightly less experimental, less electronic, less bold songs that didn't make sense to put on Kid A. Never really have the urge to revisit it very often.

That being said, this new song sounds great. At least an 8/10 on first listen.

#38 DCkid, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
  19. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Loving the new song. Like most Radiohead post-Bends, it is a grower.

If they do indeed come back to Houston, I pray that they come to the Woodlands vs Toyota Center. The sound is so much better and you can get pit tix for face via WASTE

20. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I'd definitely be in again and this time Moes better damn fist bump me.