1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP GOP PARTY 1854-2016 - GOP Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by IBTL, May 3, 2016.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The Republicans embracing the religious fanatics was a major mistake religion is dying, they hooked their wagons to the zealots.....and that is a dying mistake.

They need to drop the religious right and remake themselves.

DD

IBTL likes this.
  2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I honestly bet he doesn't even know that. And if he does post something about it, it's probably because he looks up the information and reads about the history.

IBTL likes this.
  3. MSBRockets

MSBRockets Member

The death of the current Republican Party isn't due solely to Trump. The Tea Party led by Ted Cruz and their far right/won't compromise beliefs was just as big of a cause.

Republicans shouldnt blame Trump. They should look at the majority of the American public and adapt their conservative and individual rights agenda to that. Don't expect people to fall in line with what the Party "represents." If they want to win of course, if not they can keep up the status quo.

4. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

True. Cruz dropping out was a matter of when, not if.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not a matter of Cruz dropping out, it's a matter of Trump being the nominee. Cruz would have been a bad nominee, Trump is an abomination. What's sad is that there actually were some legit candidates this time around, they just ran them out a long time ago and went with the clown show.

When it was becoming obvious that Trump would win enough votes to get the nomination, it was clear the GOP had died.

IBTL likes this.
  6. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

So what you're saying is southern conservatives have history of racism when they were Democrats? Is that when you considered yourself a Republican? Were you even alive back then? What Republican candidate fits the characteristic of old southern Democrat, today?

IBTL likes this.
  7. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I knew the history of racism in the Democratic party for a long time, I also know they w**** themselves for the minority vote today but do absolutely nothing for them when they're elected.

IBTL likes this.
  8. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/03/goldwater-jackie-robinson/474498/

Jackie Robinson saw the beginning of the end of the GOP and couldn't stop it.

During my life, I have had a few nightmares which happened to me while I was wide awake,” Robinson wrote in 1967. “One of them was the National Republican Convention in San Francisco, which produced the greatest disaster the Republican Party has ever known—Nominee Barry Goldwater.” Robinson, a loyal Republican who campaigned for Richard Nixon in 1960, was shocked and saddened by the racism and lack of civility he witnessed at the 1964 convention. As the historian Leah Wright Rigueur describes in The Loneliness of the Black Republican, black delegates were verbally assaulted and threatened with violence by Goldwater supporters. William Young, a Pennsylvania delegate, had his suit set on fire and was told to “keep in your own place” by his assailant. “They call you ‘******,’ push you and step on your feet,” New Jersey delegate George Fleming told the Associated Press. “I had to leave to keep my self-respect.” *

The 1964 campaign was pivotal for Republicans because, despite Goldwater’s loss, the GOP came away with a dedicated network of people willing to work between election cycles to build the party. The GOP has won more presidential elections than it has lost since Goldwater. Donald Trump’s campaign plays on fears and resentments similar to those that fueled Goldwater’s presidential bid five decades ago. It is not yet clear, however, how this strategy will play out with an electorate that will be the most racially and ethnically diverse in U.S. history (over 30 percent of eligible voters will be racial or ethnic minorities).

As the Draft Goldwater campaign expanded in early 1963, the editors at the Chicago Defender warned that Goldwater’s “brand of demagoguery has a special appeal to ultra conservative Republicans” and that he “cannot be laughed off as a serious possibility as is being done in some quarters unfriendly to him.” After the 1964 Republican National Convention, the Defender suggested, “Goldwater in the White House would be a nightmare from which the nation and the world would not soon recover.” Another editorial two days later struck a stronger tone: “The conviction is universal that Goldwater represents the most diabolical force that has ever captured the leadership of the Republican Party. After 108 years of exhortation to freedom, liberty, and justice, the GOP now becomes the label under which Fascism is oozed into the mainstream of American politics.”

In 1964, unlike 2016, it was not a foregone conclusion that the vast majority of black voters would support the Democratic Party. Republicans Dwight Eisenhower and Richard Nixon received 39 percent and 32 percent of the black vote in the 1956 and 1960 presidential elections, compared to 6 percent for Goldwater in 1964. No Republican candidate since Goldwater has earned support from more than 15 percent of black voters.

“A new breed of Republicans has taken over the GOP,” Robinson wrote just after Goldwater claimed his party’s nomination. “It is a new breed which is seeking to sell to Americans a doctrine which is as old as mankind—the doctrine of racial division, the doctrine of racial prejudice, the doctrine of white supremacy.” He continued, “If I could couch in one single sentence the way I felt, watching this controlled steam-roller operation roll into high gear, I would put it this way, I would say that I now believe I know how it felt to be a Jew in Hitler’s Germany.”

Deckard and IBTL like this.
  9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

No offense , but I didn't understand a lick of what you wrote. I'll just clarify and reiterate what I wrote. Today's neoconservatives (of the south especially) are the southern democrats of old. it doesn't matter what the group of people call themselves, they adhere to a racist sentiment. It just so happens that almost all of them ended up changing towards elephants mid centuryish. That statement is specific to those group of people who are majority republicans, it doesn't really apply to "democrats in general" , as northern democrats (much like the republicans of old/democrats of today) have been much more progressive in their thinking and less focused on keeping doscriminatory policies such as Jim Crowe in place.

That's factual, so if you have a problem with it take it back with you on a time machine and convince the racists to remain democrats.

10. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

which is why he's gonna be deported on the first Federal Trump™ Immigration Patrol

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

RocketsLegend only knows the history he reads on Facebook. He's unfamiliar with the term Dixiecrat.

Deckard likes this.
  12. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

LBJ was southern Democrat, he was also the man who signed the Civil rights acts of 64. Are you saying a Republican signed a the civil rights acts since all Southern Democrats in 60's are Conservatives today. And can you answer my question, What Republican candidate fits the characteristic of old southern Democrat, today?

IBTL likes this.
  13. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bobby, out of curiosity, who were you hoping the nominee would be from the field?

IBTL likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Out of the entire field? I could most support Rand Paul.

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Not all Democrats, just some. Do you do history?

Democrat - LBJ (signed Civil Rights Act)
    Dixiecrat - Strom Thurmond (Ran for President as a segregationist)
    Republican - Richard Nixon (Invoked the Southern Strategy)

The Southern Stategy

In American politics, the Southern strategy refers to a strategy by Republican Party candidates of gaining political support in the Southern United States by appealing to disaffected white Democratic voters.[1][2][3]

During the 1950s and 1960s, the African-American Civil Rights Movement achieved significant progress in its push for desegregation in the Southern United States. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965, in particular, largely dismantled the system of Jim Crow laws that had enforced legal (or de jure) segregation in the South since the end of the Reconstruction Era. During this period, Republican politicians such as Presidential candidate Richard Nixon worked to attract southern white conservative voters, most of whom had traditionally supported the Democratic Party, to the Republican Party,[4] and Senator Barry Goldwater won the five formerly Confederate states of the Deep South (Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, and South Carolina) in the 1964 presidential election. In the 1968 presidential campaign, Nixon won Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, and Tennessee, all former Confederate states, contributing to the electoral realignment that saw many white, southern voters shift allegiance from the Democratic Party to the Republican Party during this period.

In academia, the term "southern strategy" refers primarily to "top down" narratives of the political realignment of the south, which suggest that Republican leaders consciously appealed to many white southerners' racial resentments in order to gain their support.[5] This top-down narrative of the southern strategy is generally believed to be the primary force that transformed southern politics following the civil rights era.[6][7] This view has been questioned by historians such as Matthew Lassiter, Kevin M. Kruse and Joseph Crespino, who have presented an alternative, "bottom up" narrative, which Lassiter has called the "suburban strategy." This narrative recognizes the centrality of racial backlash to the political realignment of the South,[8] but suggests that this backlash took the form of a defense of de facto segregation in the suburbs, rather of overt resistance to racial integration, and that the story of this backlash is a national, rather than a strictly southern one.[9][10][11][12]

The perception that the Republican Party had served as the "vehicle of white supremacy in the South," particularly during the Goldwater campaign and the presidential elections of 1968 and 1972, has made it difficult for the Republican Party to win the support of black voters in the South in later years.[4] In 2005, Republican National Committee chairman Ken Mehlman formally apologized to the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), a national civil rights organization, for exploiting racial polarization to win elections and ignoring the black vote.[13][14]

IBTL likes this.
  16. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks, I was just wondering. Do you think it's too late for a third party, like the Libertarians, to gain any momentum in the wake of Trump?

17. TheresTheDagger

18. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

It's for the best.

The GPO had stagnated a long time ago - they weren't going anywhere without Trump. There is no LEFT and RIGHT anymore. You do what works in today's world and no one understands that more than a competent businessman.

Bush was a horrible President.

Obama, the most mediocre one.

Americans knew they had to take the risk to be led by an intelligent President with all the makings of an above average leader, crude rhetoric be damned.

IBTL likes this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They'll get more votes than they normally would, but they have their own problems with their race between Gary Johnson and John McAfee.

20. Major

Major Member

Really? In the history of this country, you know of only THREE known racist politicians? :confused:

IBTL likes this.