1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Should Morey be demoted or given a different role?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by by78, May 2, 2016.

1. dmoneybangbang

The narrative the Morey doesn't have basketball guys around helping with decision making and talent evaluation is simply false.

2. dmoneybangbang

It is ignored because it doesn't fit The Narrative and many CF's don't like complexity and prefer simplicity; i.e., it's much easier to say Morey evaluates using a protractor.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Yes and Les also makes the decision to draft first round busts like White or Dekker or TJ and is overall responsible for the abysmal drafting record in the 10-20 range

4. j3i

j3i Member

I think he should stick with scouting and acquiring players only. Let the coach have the final say on the schemes according to the players' skillset. If Morey acquires the right players, he shouldn't have to worry about what the coach is going to do with them.

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

For people who make the claim that Morey needs a basketball guy above him to help choose the targets - give me a few examples where that has actually worked? Seems like on the rare occasion those situations happen, they are tentative at best and usually result in one of the GMs leaving under lots of team turmoil shortly after. Either fire Morey or get of his way, but don't pit him against another managing executive for the same role(but different titles).

6. dmoneybangbang

Lol like Capela? Marcus Morris? Patrick Patterson? All of which are playing for playoff teams?

TJones is a bust because he got injured and never become productive again?

Dekker is a bust because he hasn't played yet? Trollolololololol

Don't quit your day job... Whatever the hell that is.

7. dmoneybangbang

And Morey doesn't do that already? Or how about you prove Morey is meddlesome in how players play. That's another narrative...

8. by78

by78 Rookie

I forgot to mention that Les does need a scapegoat... and since Les can't fire himself or probably won't sell the team, so I guess the available options are obvious.

9. by78

by78 Rookie

Then kick Morey upstairs, make him a VP, a 'Chief Strategist', a 'First Visionary' or whatever, and don't forget to give him a raise. Whatever his new title should be, it doesn't matter so long that talent evaluation and personnel decisions are made by someone else with more experience.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

What is this the 80's?? Lol

Of course not, We're not going to have a "basketball guy" influence major roster and operational decisions, we don't want to be left in the dust by the most modern franchises.

11. by78

by78 Rookie

Really? Should I instead post articles on Rockets from 2014-2015? In case you haven't noticed, this Rockets' season has been a dumpster fire. It's post mortem time. And all options and opinions should be laid out as to how Rockets can move forward and become a better team.

12. by78

by78 Rookie

That works too. Kick him upstairs and let him 'save face'.

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

So for those who hate Morey and want a guy with basketball sense I would like to point you in the direction of the LA Clippers. They got as far as we did this season, and we demoralized them last season. At the helm of both coaching and major roster decisions you have Doc Rivers. Sometimes, having "basketball sense" doesn't account for much. You have to make good decisions. Now the Clippers are staring down a team in which Blake Griffin might not be on next year, Paul is getting older and Deandre almost walked out on. What did all that basketball sense get them in the long run? Nada.

14. by78

by78 Rookie

I assume Morey was simply trying to wiggle his way out before the reporters and was being completely disingenuous.

Morey presented Les with a list of coaching candidates and carefully steered Les' decision making. So in a way Morey was correct that Les 'picked' the coaches, but that's not entirely true is it?

It's like Dick Cheney's committee on searching for a running mate for George W. Bush, and Dick Cheney ended up steered W. to pick Cheney's preferred candidate: himself!

15. Sanity2disChaos

Morey is better with numbers than he is with evaluating talent and dealing with people.

He is a glorified accountant in sports business (notice I didn't say team).

16. by78

by78 Rookie

You are confusing what is necessary with what is sufficient. For example, while having a pair of lungs is necessary for breathing, it alone does not guarantee that you can in fact breathe. For breathing to happen, your lungs being functional is the sufficient condition here.

Having basketball sense is a necessary condition, but not a sufficient one for success. Doc Rivers may have basketball sense, but he is deficient in other areas that his basket sense wasn't able to compensate.

But having no basketball sense or prior playing experience by itself pretty much pre-ordains failure, if you aspire to moving past the first round in the playoffs.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think this is fair. I see a lot of people around here making ridiculous statements like "Morey is worthless!". This seems like much more level-headed criticism.

Morey is undeniably brilliant. He basically invented protected draft picks. He stumped the league with the Lin, Asik contracts. His ability to maintain flexibility and manage is assets is just unquestionable. His ability to consistently find NBA talent in the second round is also impressive. I'm a huge Morey fan, but I can't help but admit that lately I've been wondering if we need a better basketball mind to pair him up with.

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

And I'd add that the Lakers did trade for Kobe. They traded Vlade Divac for him during the draft.

And Dirk Nowitski was drafted by the Milwaukee Bucks. The Mavs traded the rights to Robert "Tractor" Traylor for him. Granted, that was more of a draft situation since that exchange took place on draft day, but technically....

20. dmoneybangbang

What type of experience? He's been in professional sports for how many years now?