1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Morey be demoted or given a different role?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by by78, May 2, 2016.

1. OldYelllowDog

OldYelllowDog Contributing Member

I agree, promote him to a VP, higher level and then let him hire a basketball minded GM to work for him.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Like how Colangelo was brought in to help Hinkie with certain things? How is that going?

This is why I say we need to either keep him as GM or fire him.

[​IMG]

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You mean like the year he spent under Carroll Dawson and the years working for the Celtics under Danny Ainge?

Even making him co-GM is a demotion and Morey would almost certainly resign.

4. caneks

caneks Rookie

It sicks me every time I heard that Morey is smart and talented.

If Morey has any true knowledge of NBA, he should know that almost every NBA final team was built mainly from development, not through trading. He should know that the team he build after 9 years is a mess and there is no future with it.

It is time to dump Morey and rebuild this team.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

With the exception of the Spurs and Warriors I'd say every NBA championship team in the last 10 years has been built by trades. Lakers, Celtics, Heat and Mavs.

6. caneks

caneks Rookie

Lakers was built around Kobe Bryand, not trade.
    cletics was built around Paul Pierce, not trade,
    Heat was built around Dwyane Wade, not trade
    Mavs was built around Dirk Nowitzki, not trade

what are you talking about?

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Did the Lakers draft "Kobe Bryand" and Shaq?

Did the Celtics draft KG and Ray Allen?

Did the Heat draft LeBron and Bosh?

Did the Mavs draft Corey Brewer?

8. REEKO_HTOWN

Aww so if that's the case then EVERY NBA CHAMPION hasn't been built by a trade.

Lakers and Mavs traded for Kobe and Dirk BTW.:p

Nice try Rook.

9. caneks

caneks Rookie

Did Kobe played in team other than Lakers? it is development.
    Did Dirk played in team other than Mavs? it is development.

10. caneks

caneks Rookie

what is your point? Every NBA team has trades?

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

give em one more year to right the ship!!!!!

12. REEKO_HTOWN

moving the goal posts now?

Funny I wonder why the Lakers stopped winning championships after Shaq left?

Oh wait, they sucked and TRADED for Pau Gasol.

What about Wade? Oh wait they traded for Shaq, Bosh and Lebron.

I guess the Mavs developed Tyson Chandler, Kidd, Marion and Jason Terry too!

you sure showed me.

13. Zergling

Zergling Member

I think you should probably stop posting threads about Morey

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Those trades are what put those teams over the top.

We already have our Pierce in Harden; now we need our KG and Allen.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just a Jerry West style consultant....Rudy T....he is the man.

Or, if that is offensive to the Moreyites...why not give Morey a guy UNDER him who understands that stuff.

Shane Battier for instance.

DD

16. caneks

caneks Rookie

You just proved that I am right. Those teams made all kind of trades to build around their core which is/was their own development.

17. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

In the NBA, talent trumps chemistry. If you can have both then even better but you can't win without talent. You can win however without chemistry.

Jerry West himself paired up Shaq and Kobe who hated each other. Neither wanted to play with the other but the still won 3 titles together.

Last season we overachieved and everyone said that we had great chemistry. Now we underachieve and our GM doesn't understand chemistry. Basically, if a team wins then people say they have good chemistry. If teams aren't doing well then the no chemistry cry goes up.

Fact is that winning a title or being in a position to is not as simple as posters here would like to think. Look at Jerry West. He took over as Memphis GM in 2002 for a team that was coming off of a 23 win season.

Under West the Grizz won 28 games the next season and then 50,45 and 49 the next 3 years but they were swept in the first round of the playoffs in each of those 3 years.

The Grizz then fell to 22 wins in each of the next 2 seasons prior to West resigning as GM. In the 6 years with West as GM, not only didn't the Grizz win a championship, they never even won a playoff game.

So did Jerry West not understand talent evaluation? Did he not understand chemistry? No, it's just not that easy to build a championship team.

Building a championship team also takes a bit of luck too. Leading up to the 1979 draft, Jerry West preferred Sidney Moncrief as the 1st pick over Magic Johnson. Jerry Buss was in negotiations to buy the team at the time and he insisted that drafting Magic was a must if he was to buy the team so Magic became the pick.

West's logic wasn't ridiculous at the time. Nobody knew if a 6'9" guy could really play PG or if he could learn to shoot and the Lakers already had a very good PG in Norm Nixon. In that case West was extremely lucky that Buss insisted on selecting Magic. If the Lakers had listened to West then there's no Showtime Lakers and the fortunes of the Milwaukee Bucks would have been much different.

If it was that easy to build a championship team then GMs wouldn't be making the type of money that they do and we wouldn't all be posters on a team bbs. You have to take some chances and you have to have some luck. Things won't always go your way but that doesn't mean that you give up. Every GM has decisions that turn out to be bad but that's just the nature of the game.

Back in 2010 Sam Presti was the golden boy. A genius who had assembled a future dynasty. Where did that get him? He hasn't won a title or even been back to the finals since then and he's one free agent loss from the whole thing coming unraveled. Did Presti suddenly get stupid in 2011? No, it's just a really hard job and he had some bad luck where things didn't break his way.

18. caneks

caneks Rookie

Harden was a star before he joined Rockets.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He was a 6th man. I know "star" is subjective but seems like most people thought he was a potential star at best. Had other teams known he was a star like he eventually became, I imagine the trade offers for him would have been much better.

Basically you're saying that if everything else was the same but we had somehow drafted Harden at 20 years old instead of trading for him at 23 years old, it'd make a huge difference. I disagree.

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member