1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Morey be demoted or given a different role?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by by78, May 2, 2016.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

1) Demoting him will make him resign.

2) He won't be OK with it.

3) He would get hired pretty quickly.

4) Why would anyone ever be OK with being demoted to a junior position to "learn" a job they've had for 10 years? In what context does that make any sense? Put yourself in that circumstance at your work: would you be OK with that?

1 person likes this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

What's wrong is that you thikn working as a GM of an NBA team does not give you "NBA experience"

It does, by definition.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

Ideally, I would like to see mauri be given 3 years without Le$ putting his hands all over the place in the roster decisions. However I would like for Le$ to go out and get a real head coach, because nobody trusts mauri on coaching evaluations.

4. SkareKrow

SkareKrow Member

You have started 3 threads in about a week asking the same thing about demoting or getting rid of Morey. Its clear you are not up for discussion.

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Well also from context it appears Morey has never really picked a coach in his tenure as a rocket. The latest presser Morey said "Mr. Alexander has had a good track record of picking coaches", to me that sounds like even Mac was a Les decision. Ownership taking an active role scares me, but I understand where it comes from. It would be hard for me to hand over something worth $1.5 bil (basically everything I am) and say "it's in your hands now". I couldn't do that. A lot of people forget that Morey acts as a buffer between everyone. He isn't just a number cruncher.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So you think Morey knows what players go through in the locker room?

You think Morey can relate to an NBA player at all?

Why do you think Morey hired McHale after failing to lure Bosh in 2009 with an iPad? Because he can't completely relate with NBA players and needed a recruiter to help him. McHale was the voice Morey needed to get guys to sign.

No. Morey is limited in his experience of professional basketball PERIOD.

7. by78

by78 Rookie

Then how about this, let Morey keep the title of GM but have him give up certain decision-making powers such as talent evaluation to a more qualified person.

Or, have Morey be the co-GM alongside a more experienced basketball mind who has actually played the game, with Morey responsible for crunching numbers and dealing assets only.

Either way, Morey's deficiencies must be compensated. If Morey's ego can't take it, then perhaps he should resign and test the market. It won't be hard to find a separate numbers guy and a dealmaker to replace Morey.

Whatever the case maybe, the Rockets simply can't go on business as usual with Morey.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sometimes you have to be fired to get better, maybe Morey is at that point where he can self analyze instead of blaming others for the team's failure.

That being said, why not bring in Rudy T as Director of Basketball - where he fills in the Jerry West role, or put him at equal footing - but someone Morey can go to and discuss chemistry and how players games fit together.

DD

1 person likes this.
  9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

So basically you have to be an ex-player to be successful.

I would reel off the names of the successful non-ex-player GM's but it's too tedious to even contemplate. Suffice it to say you are wrong.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah, this is a fact that is ignored by most CFers: (for better or worse) Les makes the decision to hire/fire coaches, not Morey. Feigen has said it before, Morey has said it before, and I think Les said something before when McHale's firing was announced.

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Not even... It's not statistically inevitable that a team who remains relatively healthy has a falloff like the Rockets did this year. That's why it caught everyone off guard.

It's statistically inevitable that players get hurt, or leave through FA, etc. Thus causing a down year. Just look at the last year's Thunder team or even the 05-06 Rockets. But what this Rockets team did this season was not statistically inevitable.

How everything went so wrong this season is beyond me. And it isn't fair to place the blame solely on Morey. But, if Morey tries to sell that "statistically inevitable" line of BS as some type of reasoning for this season's failures he should be fired on the spot.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

Humor me Sam. Please don't walk away from this discussion.

Can't you at least admit that Morey wouldn't be harmed by seeking a ex player to help him evaluate talent?

My point is not that Morey isn't a good GM or that he doesn't know anything about basketball. My point is why not have another voice with NBA experience to help him even as an assistant?

13. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Personally I think the amount of fans wanting to fire and/or demote Morey is ridiculous. The team had a down year. Morey is not perfect, but has more than warranted more time and the opportunity to continue as GM. Was this roster perfect? No. Who would have known that Harden would come in out of shape and he along with the rest of the team would stop responding to McHale? Who would have known that Lawson would be a shell of his former self? Who would have known that Howard would be less than how he left off in last years playoffs. I could go on and on about what guys played at a much lower level than last year...almost the whole team.

All of you yayhoos (my grandmothers term:p) that complained about roster turnover, letting the young guys develop and continuity are now the ones asking for these two things.

Morey is capable of making moves that will turn this thing around quickly. Will he? Guess we will see.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I mean if Les looks at Morey and decides that he isn't doing a good enough job then he should fire him. That I could see. But Morey being ok with becoming an assistant GM? I don't think that's realistic.

15. by78

by78 Rookie

This. +1

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He already has been. Les is picking our new coach. No way in hell Les picked Mchale and Finch all by himself.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

Agree completely that Morey can not be demoted. He should however bring in an ex player as an assistant maybe.

He had Rosas and Hinkie so why not Battier?

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

JVG as head coach, Battier as assistant coach and newly-created "Liaison to Front Office"

I'd be fine with that. Probably not very realistic either but moreso than demoting Morey.

19. by78

by78 Rookie

I suggested co-GM - NOT assistant GM - in my last post. Or have Morey retain the title of GM but with certain responsibilities taken away from him and given to more qualified people.

However you want to play with Morey's formal job title, it's pretty damn well clear that he needs help evaluating talent and instilling a winning culture. Number crunching alone won't suffice for this job. Let Morey learn from more seasoned hands. It will be good for him and the Rockets.

20. alcatrazpsycho

The only way I can see this working logistically is if Morey is promoted. Give him title of "Team President", a slight salary bump, but give him a vastly smaller role. Bring in a new GM with the qualities the OP listed.

Otherwise, Morey is gone.