1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

D.J. Reader - Texans 5th round pick, 166th overall

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 30, 2016.

?

Do you agree with this pick?

Poll closed Sep 1, 2016.
  1. YES

95.2%
  2. NO

4.8%
  1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wrote this about newest Texan D.J. Reader in my Senior Bowl observations back in January <a href="https://t.co/gGQlHkTUbv">pic.twitter.com/gGQlHkTUbv</a></p>&mdash; John Harris (@jharrisfootball) <a href="https://twitter.com/jharrisfootball/status/726494652682108928">April 30, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;He really has the ability to dominate and play at a high level.&quot;-GM Rick Smith on NT D.J. Reader.</p>&mdash; Drew Dougherty (@DoughertyDrew) <a href="https://twitter.com/DoughertyDrew/status/726495805536755712">April 30, 2016</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&quot;I think I'll play nose tackle.&quot;-D.J. Reader when asked about where he'll likely play in NFL. Said he weighs 333 lbs now.</p>&mdash; Drew Dougherty (@DoughertyDrew) <a href="https://twitter.com/DoughertyDrew/status/726493628458127360">April 30, 2016</a></blockquote>

3. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

NT Lust

Big boy with a motor! Let's go!

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

CBS Sports: A big, strong run-stuffing off-and-on starter for Clemson. Has a good motor and should be a part of a rotation in Houston. (Grade: B+)

ESPN: What he brings: At 6-foot-3 and 327 pounds, Reader is an outstanding run-stuffer with the size and strength to clog up the middle and anchor a three or four-man front. While he's not overly explosive, he is a powerful bull-rusher who pushes the pocket. There are a couple of red flags attached to Reader, though, as he left Clemson with the support of the coaching staff to attend to personal issues in August and missed the first six games of the 2015 season. He also needs to keep his weight down. -- Steve Muench

Rotoworld: Reader (6'3/327) was a rotational tackle before succeeding Grady Jarrett as a senior, managing 1.5 tackles for loss as a nine-game starter. Reader finished the college season at 340 pounds, and weight fluctuation could be an ongoing problem. An old-school nose tackle who did 30 bench-press reps in Indy, Reader is a two-down lineman entirely lacking of pass-rush ability. His upside is a run-stuffing role player.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

That's first rounder and current Colts center Ryan Kelly, guys. Freaking beast

7. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

their*

top notch journalism

8. conquistador#11

can he play centerfield?

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

DJ Sabathia

10. awc713

awc713 Member

couple thoughts:

1) dont know anything about him, but Clemson has a good history with DLs

2) absolutely love trading our late picks to move slightly higher iin first couple rounds. I don't see a big drop off in 6/7th round talent and UFA...BOB and co. have so far shown their ability to find and plug in undrafted players, making those latter picks more moveable.

11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So do I! I have never been so excited about the upcoming season as I am right now. I hope Clowney can add to my excitement by being the Beast we thought he could be this year.

12. Poloshirtbandit

Maybe he can be the Astros new closer.

13. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

James Harden is so excited about this pick, a great teammate to hang out with in the next 4 months.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

he could probably start for the Astros right now

15. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

And down goes Samaje Perine, 240-pound All-American RB.

16. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

lotta nice reviews and scouting reports... wonder why he felt to the 5th round then?

17. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Dude is a MONSTER. Watt gotta be doin cartwheels about now

18. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

He played 1st as a Freshman in college, was a top 150 prospect..

19. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

ESPN

5. Texans buck trend

The Houston Texans followed what might have been the smartest approach to a draft deep with defensive tackles. They didn't rush to take one, regardless of need.

Instead, the Texans spent much of this draft accumulating options for new quarterback Brock Osweiler. They selected receivers in the first (Will Fuller) and third (Braxton Miller) rounds, and a running back (Tyler Ervin) in the fourth. Then, with their second selection of the fifth round, they grabbed defensive tackle D.J. Reader.

Some might argue that the Texans missed out on the strength of this draft by looking elsewhere in the first four rounds. I'd suggest the opposite. They jumped on less-stocked positions when they could and then circled back to the hog mollies later. Intentional or by accident, it made perfect sense.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...nly-week-1-qb-starter-and-lots-of-hog-mollies

20. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I chuckled... sadly.