1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Exit intereviews?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Apr 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Vivi

Vivi Member

Interesting, thanks.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Im sure they are having them. Its pretty standard procedure. But the front office is likely knee deep with the coaching situation. They have a major time crunch to secure JVG or Walton (seems to be their top 2 candidates) and both are extremely busy either coaching or announcing the playoffs.

However the front office seems to insist on doing this before the players go on extended vacation. My guess would be that they would be doing it either today or early next week. Usually the media gets advanced notice to do exit interviews to the media, but this year with so much negatively and hard questions criticism the front office will be giving the players, its no shock that they are not or will not allow the media to partake.

I will say this though....

We are about to have a Summer full of Rockets news, rumors, and moves. We will get quite a bit of new and whatnot to keep us busy this Summer.

3. verysimplejason

They can exit now and forgot all about the interview for all I care...

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I'd agree if the franchise atm mattered and the team had some redeeming quality (maybe with the right coach etc... something could be salvaged but right now it's mediocre at best other than Harden). And if this offseason sucks how much lower can it get? I mean if Morey and co don't figure it out Harden will be gone eventually and it's back to starting over anyway. Also with the way this franchise operates it's all business (except maybe last season), so I'm sure the rep isn't at Spurs level or something to lose because they never had it.

5. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

only Harden will get an exit interview, everyone **** outta here.

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

FWIW, as y'all have probably seen on Twitter, Morey just got done speaking... and that's the only media interview scheduled. Seems like Daryl is it this year.

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep lol.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">What about the ones that quote Rockets players? <a href="https://t.co/iRmxNQHMJn">https://t.co/iRmxNQHMJn</a></p>&mdash; Tim MacMahon (@espn_macmahon) <a href="https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/726178071779266561">April 29, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Daryl Morey said NBA teams have been negative regarding the Rockets to hurt them in free agency.</p>&mdash; Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) <a href="https://twitter.com/calvinwatkins/status/726177572925509633">April 29, 2016</a></blockquote>

Daryl is so gawd damn delusional.

Teams don't need to put stuff out to the media. People can watch your team. People can listen to your OWN players who said YOUR team had chemistry issues.

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if anybody finds a video of the whole thing. I was only able to see the 30 second snippets that Mark Berman put up. It would be great to hear the whole thing.

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Well, i don't think Morey is necessarily talking about the "H vs H" argument, in fact he would be dumb since Terry pretty much admitted this yesterday, maybe he's talking about other things, all those negative things about Harden we've read this season...

11. The Cat

Not saying there weren't chemistry issues, but it can often be a catch-all excuse that players like to use. If they say "well, this roster just doesn't have enough good players", that's obviously much worse for everyone's future earning potential. It's better for the players to play it off as a group of talented individuals who for whatever reason just couldn't come together. Same logic as a person who gets fired explaining it to professional colleagues as a "bad fit" -- it sounds a lot better to frame it that way than to say "well, I just wasn't good enough."

Again, this isn't me saying chemistry wasn't a factor in their disappointing performance. It certainly was to some degree. But "Jason Terry said so and so!" isn't necessarily proof to the contrary.

On the flip side, it's in Daryl's interest to put out the position that he did today. It's much easier to sell a max free agent on the Rockets if he thinks the reason for their mediocre performance was that the roster simply wasn't good enough, because in theory, a max free agent would certainly improve it. On the other hand, if a max FA thinks the Rockets underachieved largely due to culture/chemistry... he'll be more likely to question Houston as a fit, even if individually it looks positive.

Both Daryl and the players are putting out the spin that's best for their personal interests. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

I also think seeing Daryl come out this aggressively against the "bad culture" narrative shows you what he's looking for in a coach. He wants instant credibility -- the type of name that's going to make marquee free agents take notice and feel like the culture has immediately been changed. That absolutely plays into the desire for JVG, in my opinion.

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, great post.

13. The Cat

Actually, this tweet from one of my Twitter follows sums things up fairly well, IMO:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/BenDuBose">@BenDuBose</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/SportsTalk790">@SportsTalk790</a> I think by the end of year, chemistry was obviously a big issue. But a lot of that is the result of being bad 1st.</p>&mdash; Justin (@jlr3) <a href="https://twitter.com/jlr3/status/726187464440856577">April 29, 2016</a></blockquote>

I think chemistry eventually became an issue, but the unexpectedly-mediocre roster (Dwight's decline, regression from Brewer/Jones and Lawson being horrific) was the driving force behind everything. With the team continuing to underachieve relative to expectations, it's human nature for the folks involved to want someone or something to blame -- which leads to chemistry issues. However, in my view, that was a symptom rather than the root cause of the illness.

#33 The Cat, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  14. albuster

albuster Member

The genius of Morey is his incredible ability to deflect blame for all his mediocrity as a basketball GM. Even before free agency starts he is already blaming other teams for what he knows is his impending failure to get significant free agents to sign with the Rockets. And Les will, once again, drink this poisonous kool aid and the mind numbing cycle of mediocrity continues. Awesome maneuver Morey. And the beat goes on.

15. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Morey: &quot;There are teams swept out of the playoffs and we're not hearing about how they have a problem.&quot; <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rockets?src=hash">#Rockets</a></p>&mdash; Brian T. Smith (@ChronBrianSmith) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChronBrianSmith/status/726181557765955586">April 29, 2016</a></blockquote>

gotta admit, this is pretty frustrating to read. I'm still a pretty big Morey fan, but I think this is pretty disingenuous of him to deflect the issue of Houston's "problem" away in such a flippant manner. This doesn't help him any in terms of countering the criticism that he's either in denial or simply spinning bullsh!t to deflect attention away from his own role in the season's debacle. Not a very good look for Murray I think.

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Morey: We need a great player to go along with James. Dwight Howard is certainly an option that we're looking at. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rockets?src=hash">#Rockets</a></p>&mdash; Brian T. Smith (@ChronBrianSmith) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChronBrianSmith/status/726173345905922048">April 29, 2016</a></blockquote>

and this one just makes me laugh. :rolleyes:

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Dallas(1-4)? The team not expected to even make the playoffs?
    Memphis(0-4)? The team fielding a D-League team due to injuries?
    Detroit(0-4)? I'm unaware of any problems in Detroit?
    Boston(2-4)? Yeah, they're lacking a star.

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

and the only reason we weren't swept was that the opposing team was missing their best player, who also happens to be the league's mvp. and we beat them by 1pt. at home. maybe morey really just does not get it..

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If Morey really is going to defect blame off obvious chemistry issues he should be let go.

That's so stupid, ignorant and incompetent. Free Agents aren't going to buy the **** you're selling Genius.

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

It's also true that from the start of the season we read and listen to a lot of bs like Stein yesterday about the bus thing, i mean, i remember something about Brendan Wright having problems in the locker room in Memphis about a fake injury, i've never read or heard something about this by BSPN...and i'm sure there's more if you try to find out.

The Pacers locker room two years ago did get all those attentions? Have you heard something about George being a bad leader cause he was ****ing with Hibbert's girl?

The Jimmy Butler vs Rose?

I'm the first to say that there was a chemistry problem, but i think the Rockets have been targeted for all the season more than what they deserved.