1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does anyone remember how last year the Rockets were in a LOT of close games?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Apr 20, 2016.

1. bmd

bmd Member

And they won a lot of those close games. Late in the 4th, James Harden would be very clutch and the team would clamp down and get stops and they'd pull out a win.

Last year, when the game was close with about 3 minutes left, it seemed like the Rockets almost always won those games.

This season, it seems like if there was about 3 minutes left in the game, the Rockets were almost sure to lose. When crunch time came, they couldn't get stops. They couldn't clamp down.

As good as they were last season, their point differential was only +3.4, so they were not exactly destroying teams. Given their poor effort this year, it's not surprising they'd lose those close games that they won last season.

Which tells me that it's time for a change. Last season was the ceiling for this group it seems, and it really wasn't all that great relative to other team's ceilings.

They were down 3-1 to a tired Clippers team with a hurt Chris Paul in the 2nd round last season. They had an unbelievable comeback, but maybe reaching the WCF clouded our judgement a bit. If they lost that series we may have been talking about blowing it up after last season. So maybe this year isn't all that surprising.

2. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Last season I was always thinking we were outperforming our KPIs.

While GSW seemed to be slightly underperforming theirs. I´m using this team as it was the comparation most used in this forum.

So, yes, I agree, this is not the roster for this system, and certainly, this roster don´t want to play together.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/win-pct-close-games?date=2015-06-16

Eye test does not seem to match these numbers. Last season .667% winning percentage in close games vs .586% this season.

3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

The Rockets were very fortunate last year and instead of recognizing that they rested on their laurels and that luck evened out. They ignored in victory what they wouldn't have in defeat.

4. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Really? So you're one the few people I assume, knew Lawson would be a complete disaster and Dmo would be hurt most of the season? Each season is its own entity, past success means nothing (unless you're the Spurs) no one saw this season going down this way and to say we rested on our laurels is actually not true. We kept our core and added what seemed to be the PG to get us over the top.

#4 Blurr#7, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  5. bmd

bmd Member

Maybe the difference would be bigger with non-playoff teams. If I recall, the Rockets' record against the top teams is similar to what it was last season.

The biggest difference is how they perform vs. the sub-par teams in the league. This season, they did very poorly against those teams. Last season I think they were something like 20-3 vs. the bottom 7 or so teams in the league.

So maybe the difference in close games against those teams will be much bigger between this year and last year.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The Rockets were ravaged by injuries in 2014/15 - remember, Joey Dorsey and Tarik Black started 29 games and Terry started 18, and thought they would be better with a full season of Howard, Beverley,and adding a borderline-all star quality guard in Ty Lawson.

So did all of us, and most neutral evaluators.

They were wrong.

7. Spooner

Spooner Member

Sounds like an issue in coaching to me

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

That's true but remember we were missing Dwight and Bev for big portions of the season. DMo was also hurt.

By net rating we were #7. We overachieved a bit but we also added Josh Smith who helped us get by the clippers

9. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Effort and lack thereof from players and lack of imagination from coaches.

Let's not over think this.

Should have kept McHale. We laughed at his constant "play harder" message, but really, that's what we needed to do. I truly believe we would have picked it up with Kev eventually.

10. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

If we're simplifying things then Mchales "play harder" routine was already falling on deaf ears. You lose your first three games by 20 and you think "we'll eventually pick it up" lol

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

OP, you have just now realized it is time for a change??

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

win a tight one or get your asses blowed outwards ... your 2015-16 Houston Rockets

13. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

McHale did a good job keeping the team focused and motivated last year. This year, the locker room (led by Harden) turned a deaf ear on him. That's when McHale lost the team, Morey had to reluctantly fire him, and everything went downhill from there.

14. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Also, Bickerstaff learned his philosophies from McHale so I don't know why people are shocked that we have a terrible coach. :confused:

15. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

Lase season, we were 7th in point differential and net rating. Our expected team record was merely 50-32, according to the Pythagorean Wins method.

We overacheived due to Harden having a breakout, MVP-caliber season and rest of the guys stepping up and playing good perimeter defense. There were also some lucky breaks along the way which helped our team to finish 2nd in WC and advance to WCF in the playoffs. As much as people don't want to admit it, luck is essential part of life.

In stead of facing this cold, harsh truth, Morey, like many other casual fans, deluded himself into thinking that this team was really a championship contender material, when a simple glance at our team roster would suggest otherwise.

Effort is an issue, but it's hard to play with intensity when you're losing. With declining Dwight, we are just left with one star and bunch of average role players. Compare that to how much talent teams like GSW, SAS, CLE, OKC and LAC have. It's kinda hard to argue we are at their level, even on paper.

So yes, the time for a complete revamp has come and it should've happened a year earlier, but better late than never I guess.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'm blown away at how many people are just realizing this now...

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That's the reason they suck this year.

They thought they could turn it on like a switch.

Guess what? There's no ****ing switch