1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JBB take notes. Someone posted no Talent, I beg to differ, Keys against Warriors

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by freddyg956, Apr 20, 2016.

1. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

There's plenty of talent on the team. The issue is putting that talent to perform where they can excel. In other words it's coaching.

They make things so difficult for themselves. Harden dribbles at the top, looks for a pick from anyone and they try to score. This is in no way an offense. Especially against a good defensive team that has the talent to switch on every pick and still guard Harden.

If Harden is going to come off a pick, the lane has to be cleared so the sagging defense has to commit to James or let him go to the hoop.
    Howard isn't being utilized correctly. He has trouble getting open, simple solution; let Dmo and Howard be at the low block and pick each others man with the ball at the wing, then get him the ball in the post, but Howard tries to just muscle Bogut in the low block all the time and that won't work. If they switch and they stay at the low block then Howard has to cut hard to the top of the key, throw him the ball and let the wing passer cut back door, pass or have him pick Dmo or vice versa.

Why are Brewer and Ariza trying to create off the dribble when that isn't their game? Brewer should only get the ball on back screens or cuts towards the basket because his game is based on finishing around the rim not creating. Ariza needs to stay at the 3, stop trying to pump and drive because it turns into a turn over or a bad possession, better just to put up a 3, drop it down low or pass it back to a guard.

If Dmo is in the low block with the ball, he needs to be patient and we can't just stand around. Let Bev set a pick for Harden and have him cut down the paint for a mid range or drive and kick to Howard. Same thing with Howard, stay patient and wait for cutters. If defense stays with their man, then make your move.

KJ should be guarding Livingston/Curry not Bev. I love Bev and I think he puts his heart into every play but it's mathcups. Does Bev facilitate the offense? NO not really, it's harden. So what will we lose if Harden and KJ play as the backcourt? nothing.

Bottom line is that our offense is very predictable and easy to guard because there is no movement. It's 1 on 1 ball where everyone stands, watches and we put up an ugly shot.

Defense:

Our intensity is there for the most part,but needs to be there every minute, but the problem is second chance points, which comes from offensive rebounds. We have to mainly give up fast break points because they aren't working either way and we are getting killed on the boards.
    Solution: Everyone box out your man, forget the fast break, box out your man and get every rebound to limit their second chance points. This will slow the game down and work towards our advantage.

KJ as mentioned earlier.

More Capela!!! He is great at defending pick and rolls, he's long, plays tough, rebounds well.

Sag towards paint and recover. We play defense so close to our man at the 3 that it allows them have room to create in the pain off of pickst, so sagging will clog the paint where they are forced to take a tougher shot a 3. If they are looking for a 3 then we have to be quick to recover. If curry is out only 1 guy should be stuck on at all times, KLAY, i'll take my chances with Iggy. This is sort of like a 2 top 2 bottom zone with 1 man *Ariza chasing the shooter.

2. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Completely agree The pieces are there, but like a puzzle they have to be in the right place. Beasly needs to play, kj needs to be gaurding someone 35 minutes plus,. Jbb needs to step up

3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

We all see it man, JB doesn't but we all do. I'm not saying our tips would win the series but it would definitely help. Brewer should not be playing at all. A Terry/Beverley backcourt should never be used in this series. You cannot sub out the hot players. Etc etc.

This season sucks man and it feels like the misery is going to continue one more season.

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

pshh, what do you think this is NBA 2k.

Teams spent the whole season trying to perfect the system and build chemistry, we spent the season jerking off and doing **** all.

We've freelanced into a 0-2 in the playoffs with zero structure on either side of the floor. Hell players still don't know when to switch on picks or who do defend on fast breaks. On offense Harden doesn't even know how to get open anymore without wasting 20 seconds off the clock.

This isn't a puzzle, a lot of this stuff you mentioned involves drilling in practice, discipline and trust. We quite literally have none of that.

5. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

Indeed they don't have discipline and they do need practice. They are however professionals. Dwight was just quoted as saying that they need to stop making dumb plays and start moving the ball and playing smart.
    It can be accomplished, but will it? We shall see tomorrow.
    Just sucks that JBB hasn't done a good job all season.This isn't my first post on the offense, I created one at the start of the season and some laughed at my post because people can't stop Harden
    Sad to see it's the same offense that hasn't worked all season. Easy fix if you ask me.

6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Plenty of talent... but not enough to overcome crappy coaching, lack of leadership and questionable effort...

7. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

They are playing like the beginning of the season and it comes from Harden and Howard. They are not playing with each other and along with the terrible rotations from JB has led to the team being in a disarray of chaos. Running 6 straight plays through Dmo is unacceptable when you have never given him any major minutes. Playing Josh Smith and added offense then letting him sit in the bench till two minutes from half time is unacceptable. Not calling a timeout when you see Howard get frustrated and foul or Harden make a lazy pass after lazy pass is, see where I'm going here? I hope they get embarrassed. Because the only thing this postseason shows me is that Beverly, Dmo, Smith, and Capela deserve to be here. Ariza and Terry to a certain point but they are trying sh## that aren't them. Morey and JB need to be fired in order to become a better team.

8. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

Plenty of talent?

We have just one star in this team.

Who is our 2nd star? 3rd star? forget about it.

Is Dwight as good as Westbrook, Klay, Aldridge, Blake, Kyrie who are all 2nd stars on championship contending teams?

Is our role players better than their role players? Is our bench better than theirs? What about our coach?

What talent are you talking about?

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Thread asking JBB to coach??

10. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

Is Dwight better than Westbrook? not but he sure as hell better than Adams,Bogut,Tristan,Duncan... Yet he still isn't involved the right way. Read my post on how he can be involved the right way.

Is our role players better than theirs? Who's are? I mean the team lost 9 times, you tell me who has better role players.. We competed well against OKC and I thought we played well the second game against GSW but when it came to the end we lost control, that comes down to coaching.

The point is to put your players in the best position according to their strengths and not put them in uncomfortable situations where they can't excel.

11. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

it's this kind of overly optimistic view of our team that has lead to this massive failure of a season.

if you do player comparison one by one, you'd realize we actually lack huge amount of talent compared to real elite teams. our team offense drops to pathetic 76ers-like level when Harden is not on the floor, which is why he has to play the most minutes in the league.

we have no 2nd scorer, let alone 2nd star. our role players are at best average, and our bench was one of the worst in NBA before Beasley joined this team. add Bickerstaff to that mix, and there you have 2015-2016 Houston Rockets.

I really hope Morey has learned his lesson, and realize that this team is not good, even on paper.

12. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

I agree it is being optimistic. That's always my point of view. However when the Rockets won in 95' there was no second scorer. It was great defense, inside out game. I know it's a different time and team, so my point is that if you place the players in the right positions then they can score easy buckets.
    As I posted Ariza is being asked to drive as is Brew and that isn't their game.
    p.s. Beastly is a pretty good 2nd option.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Our interim coach got scrod. G-d, herself, could not have fixed what ails this group.

The talent differential throughout the NBA is not great; how the talent meshes is down to the coaching staff and the players. And if the players ain't buying it don't mean the coaches ain't trying.

Minny is scary going forward. Thibs is the right person with the right situation there. Who the hey is the right person with our situation?

Rox are a complete question mark from now through 1 November. The single only guys I hope are on the roster then are Ariza (Mr Professional), Capela (he competes and will get better) and DMo (there's talent ready to be tapped and utilized). Beez, yeah, because of the Instant O at almost zero cost.

Who will be gone; and who the hey cares? Let the Mercy (Misery?) Rule end this sham of a series rightthisveryminute.

14. Briand2714

Briand2714 Member

yes, but 95 Rockets winning championship is more of a testament to Hakeem's greatness and is considered to be one of the outlier cases where one player basically lead his entire team to a championship. that ain't gonna happen regularly, and we all know Harden is not Hakeem.

even Jordan, Shaq, Duncan, Kobe and Lebron needed assistance from a 2nd star or even a 3rd star to get that ring. remember how Jordan, Kobe and Lebron failed repeatedly when they had no Pippen, Rodman, Gasol, Wade and Bosh? exactly.

if you want Rockets to be truly great, it's time to acquire at least a 2nd star, since Dwight is not even close to that anymore. 3rd star is not necessary but it would be nice to have it.

among all the team sports, basketball probably most relies on individual talent to win games, and we simply just not have enough of it.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

...so what was your solution to no one being able to drive and/or create offense at the 1/2/3 spots, other than Harden??

It's the lack of talent, bruh...

16. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

Terry,Smith, Beas, Patrick, KJ can all drive, not Brew not Ariza as they aren't good ball handlers.
    The point is to see more screens and cuts and not 1 on 1 basketball because yes the talent for that isn't there. Needs to be team passing and cutting.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Patrick can dribble, but he can't drive.

KJ can't dribble very well or drive.

We don't have good passers, other than Harden, Dmo, and sometimes Smith.

what happens after cutting? they are going to let us shoot layups? No, they're going to pack the paint and dare us to shoot. We can't shoot.

18. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

It's hard to be a 'superstar' by today's standards on 6 or 7 shots a night....
    Kinda hard to rack up assists to a 'superstar level' when your sg has to have the ball in their hands to bother moving...
    It's hard to excel when your minutes can be zero to 6 or whatever on any given night... you could start... you may not see the floor til the 4th qtr - if at all... (DMo, Beasley, Capella)

#18 kjayp, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  19. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Nope.

20. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

I don't know if you noticed, but there was a lot of cutting last night, Beasley, Harden with a crazy hammer down the middle, Bev, Terry a lot of ball movement and cutting. Talent is there!!!! Keep doubting your own team Clutchfans.

In my post I said limit second chance points and box out. Well we did and we had a very comfortable lead. Good job making some changes to JBB but still need to work on those inbound plays.

1 person likes this.