1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thibs and Brooks being considered by the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Apr 13, 2016.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Several teams with openings have interest in Thibodeau as a coach, including Washington and Houston, but those organizations aren’t offering full control, sources said. The Sacramento coaching job is open, but Thibodeau has no interest in the Kings’ organization, sources said.

Taylor is expected to be willing to pay a $7 million-a-year package to an elite candidate, comparable to Stan Van Gundy’s deal with Detroit, league sources said.

Thibodeau spent time this season traveling around the NBA and studying franchise models, San Antonio and Detroit among them. How Thibodeau handles power – and how he interacts with a GM that reports to him as president – is a source of intrigue and curiosity around the league.

Jeff Van Gundy is intrigued with the structure that his brother, Stan, employs in Detroit, but that hasn’t been a driving factor in his desire to return to coaching, league sources said. Jeff Van Gundy has been diligent in considering potential coaching situations in which he can have a strong working relationship and shared vision with a potential team’s current GM and owner, league sources said.

Jeff Van Gundy is at the top of the Houston Rockets’ list of potential candidates, league sources said. Jeff Van Gundy resigned as Rockets coach in 2007 after four seasons and still lives in Houston.

The Rockets won’t begin a coaching search until the team’s postseason ends. Houston is trailing Golden State 1-0 in their Western Conference first-round series. Jeff Van Gundy doesn’t discuss jobs with teams who have a coach in place, and J.B. Bickerstaff has been the Rockets’ interim coach since the firing of Kevin McHale in November.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--tom-thibodeau-pursuing-full-team-control-185614502.html

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

JBB to JVG?

3. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Mixed feelings.

I really like JVG as a person, and love him as a commentator. As a coach, he will bring a lot what current Rockets team miss - discipline, responsibility, and team work. But he needs a very good offensive coordinator alongside to take Rockets to the next level, especially in today's NBA.

So he's definitely not ideal, but miles better than what we have now.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

JVG wants Harden to play more off the ball to give him better looks and be more diversified. He said that in the GSW/ROX game telecast, so right there that gives you some insight to his offense with Harden.

5. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

and I already like that, more easy shots and more involvement of teammates. Actually, so many of us have been talking about that for years, but McHale and JB didn't want to make James uncomfortable.

6. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

Brooks, LOL.

Instead of ISO-Durant/ISO-Westbrook, he can install his innovative ISO-Harden offense. The revolution starts here.

7. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I will cry of joy if Jeff Van Gundy is hired again.:grin:

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

more like harden just doesn't listen or care. he's been called out by teammates over that too many times.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

I'm interested in who the "backup" candidates are.

Let's just pretend...

Thibodeau to the Wolves
    Brooks to the Wizards
    JVG, for whatever reason, doesn't work out
    Bickerstaff is not brought back

Then ???

10. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

I would hire Nate McMillan. He is well respected around the league. I believe he has also coached Harden in the Olympics as well.

11. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Finch don't flinch!

I'd prefer an assistant from the Spurs bench. Udoka, Messina or Hammond

12. Mr Chuck Norris

When?

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tom Thibodeau reportedly crossed the Lakers off his list of potential landing spots<a href="https://t.co/5iH39SW75Y">https://t.co/5iH39SW75Y</a> <a href="https://t.co/gKF5IHzNFi">pic.twitter.com/gKF5IHzNFi</a></p>&mdash; Lakers Nation (@LakersNation) <a href="https://twitter.com/LakersNation/status/722167930079719425">April 18, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. OTMax

OTMax Member

So J.B. by default then?

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

[​IMG]

He would be my first choice any ways. Rockets want to compete with the Spurs, well then make a run at the man who might be just sitting there being groomed to be their next head coach.

This whole thing though just goes to show you that no coach wants their GM lording over them.

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lol...

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree with Messina love anyway, he's a real coach, i'm just not sure these guys are ready to trust a european coach...maybe with some strong assistants...

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Right there with both of you. If it were up to me, yeah, I'd hire someone from the Spurs tree. Wanted Budenholzer back then but he had no interest. It may be risky but I'd take a chance Hammon or Messina.

But San Antonio, Atlanta & Golden State aren't simply the Spurs, "Spurs East" and "Spurs West" because they hired someone from the Spurs (or with Spurs connections). They have buy in and respect from their stars(OK, Atlanta doesn't really have stars). They work together. No petty disagreements. Would Harden respect a Hammon or Messina? Would Harden be OK with not having the ball in his hands all the time? Would he embrace the "Spurs way"?

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Footnote on the Wolves' coaching situation: Sources say Minnesota is the party pitching the coach/team president scenario, NOT Tom Thibodeau</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/722187988130594816">April 18, 2016</a></blockquote>

20. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Most important factors to Thibodeau as he considers job opportunities, sources say, are strength of roster and team's commitment to winning</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/722188405572898820">April 18, 2016</a></blockquote>