1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Rockets pass on NBA Draft for rematch with Warriors

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Oh! What do we have here? I didn't expect a Podcast!

Rockets in 6.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks Clutch!

Ready to shock the world! or get our butt's swept!

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Please, Crishna, Jebus, Ala, and the Grote Mudder... please don't let us be swept. Okay, time to listen to the podcast, thx Clutch.

1 person likes this.
  5. arubato

arubato Member

Let's do this! Greatest upset in NBA history

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Didn't know we have two 2nd rounders now because of top 45, this is at least some good news.

7. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Clutch is right I want the entire organization to feel pain not be rewarded for their ****. They don't deserve my support in the playoffs they can **** off

8. Chamillionaire

Since we're in the playoffs against GS, I'd hope they play up to their potential and win at least a few games. Honestly though I don't see them winning more than 2. This team is just too streaky while GS is hardly ever off.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

There is a lot of truth in this ex. del. post. (TheGoodGuys will, however, have my support even as the late games are DVRd; not that much support...)

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Damn! 3:30am. Y'all misty have needed to speak your piece ASAP. Will listen.

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I hate to say it, but we were better off with the lottery pick. If the Rockets had won just one more game and secured the 6th seed, then I'd be singing a different tune. I'd give them a decent shot at upsetting OKC and then giving the Spurs some trouble in the Semifinals. Plus defeating the Thunder might've helped sell Durant on leaving them for us in the offseason. But there's not much to be gained from an asswhooping by the Warriors aside from Les getting a little more revenue from a couple of home playoff games.

It's amazing in retrospect what those blown home games against the Bulls and especially the Suns meant to the Rockets. To miss the 6th seed by one game is infuriating.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

If our Houston Rockets can play up to 75-80 percent of their potential as a TEAM in every game, then that would give me some hope that the missing basketball culture can be re-established.

That would be more important to me than the 12th pick.

Let's hope for the best.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

wait? Isn't it the other way around. We lose a Top 45 protected second-rounder? Don't have time to listen to podcast just yet.

14. amaru

amaru Member

You forgot the word "foolishly" in the thread title.

15. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

I agree completely.. I just might cheer for the Warriors because I'm so pissed off with this team. (I actually cheered the Jazz vs. the clippers the other day). Hopefully I'll jinx the Warriors then everyone here will be happy (till we get swept by the clippers).

Honestly, the only way we win is if Steph AND Draymond get season ending injuries (which isn't happening)

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah I agree with MK Bower:

1. Rox don't have a good track record with high draft picks. Sure we have Capela, but other than that...? Passing on Portis for Dekker, passing on Kawhi for Morris, passing on Batum for Green...the Rockets have a history of passing on the "obvious" pick and then looking like dumbasses. OTH, they always get good players at the 2nd round, and we still have 2 picks at the 2nd round.
    2. The eggs have always been in the free agency basket, outside of ridiculous anomalies like a Kawhi being available your best case scenario at the 13th would be a guy like Capela. Would another Capela save the season next year? No, in fact if we ended with another Capela its highly likely Morey would be gone by the end of next year.
    3. Getting to the playoffs makes you relevant, even if you 0-4. If the Rockets were gonna approach Horford or Durant next year, they don't give a **** about some random rookie on the team, esp. with Rocket's history of picking guys people don't even know. What do they do care about is if the team is good or not, and the best indication of that is if they are in the playoffs. If the rockets can't even make the playoffs by themselves how can they convince a guy like Horford or Durant that they will be champions? On the other hand, now that they made the playoffs they can go to KD and say "Hey man, OKC can't even get to the playoffs without you, how about you join us so we can be contenders?"

While passing up on lottery picks is bad, I think that this one time the benefit of increasing your chances of convincing a major FA to join next year is worth the sacrifice of a pick. I honestly don't have the patience to wait 5+ years for whoever the Rox selected to be good, a lottery pick to me looks good as an asset but has no real value in terms of immediate contention which is what the Rox should be focusing on considering they already have Capela to develop for the future and Harden is now in his prime.

17. chandlerbang21

This podcast isnt very encouraging lol no hope at all.

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I'm confused. Clutch said it's now our pick, websites still list as the Wolves pick. Can someone clarify?

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed
    "Houston's 2016 2nd round pick to Minnesota protected for selections 31-45 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Houston's obligation to Minnesota will be extinguished)"

So, we keep the pick?

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well we are there now, only one thing to do.

Win it all!

DD