1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Star Wars: Rogue One

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

It's pretty obvious that his midichlorian count is over 9000.

2. Caesar

Caesar Member

He's not just a stormtrooper from the OT where civilians joined the empire. Fin and the First Order troopers are all trained from birth. Just because he worked in sanitation at the StarKiller Base, doesn't mean that's all he did.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Finn had actually already struck Ren too.

And Finn had a lifetime of training to be a Stormtrooper, so it's not too crazy to think he had a lot of combat training too.

4. VanityHalfBlack

She's 15 years old in this movie? Holy crap, now I'm the creep. Dammit you guys!!!:mad:

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In the trailer it says she's been on her own since she was 15. not that she is 15.

Keep Calm
    and
    Fap on!

2 people like this.
  6. Nero

Nero Member

I know right?? What if the lady had said 'You'll be a Rebel until you're 100 years old..' .. Then people would be coming in here screaming 'Felicity Jones can't pass herself off as being a hundred years old!!'

SMDH

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

LOL my fault. I swear I heard it the other way.

No one is screaming. But she can pass off being 100 vs 15.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This makes me feel better. Hope it's all true....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ddRhoXQVXMo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

So hyped after seeing the trailer, think I'll try to avoid everything from now on and go to the cinema without knowing any plot details or further reveals. Really knew too much before watching Force Awakens and it spoiled parts of the experience for me.

Not knowing about whether Vader will be in it and then maybe seeing him in the movie will be 100x better.

10. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

And Chewy shot him while he was on the bridge, Ren was super beat up. Also it seems as though Rey has had some sort of training as a child, and let us not forget Luke was a total b**** up until episode 5, he grew up in a stable home, whining about chores to uncle owen. Rey has had to take care of herself, fight off thugs and other scavengers, if she were the same age as luke in a new hope, it would make sense that she is more force savvy, and more of a fighter, she was familiar with the staff before any of the force stuff came into play.

11. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The movie showed that Ren was severely wounded and hurting badly. It was established that Chewie's weapon was beastly destructive. Ren took the shot in the gut like a champ. But he was bleeding out a bit. And was punching himself on the wound to deal with the pain.

My guess is that the director didn't sell the effects of the wound enough or that the actor didn't. In the theater, I was left very unsatisfied that the two protagonists could hang with the big baddie as they did. Having seen the scenes again, that dissatisfaction isn't as strong as it was before.

12. Nero

Nero Member

Having watched it several times now, I think Ren was deliberately holding back - after all, the last thing he wanted to do was kill Rey, and even as hurt as he was, he simply didn't take Finn as a serious threat, and once Finn got in a lucky shot, Ren easily disarmed him and took him out. But don't be so outraged that Finn could fight - after all, he was filled with rage over what Ren had done, AND had been trained since like 6 years old as an Imperial soldier.

And Ren was unsure of himself, even at that point. He didn't want to kill Rey - he clearly suspected who she really was, even if she didn't know herself - and while he had no intention of killing, or even harming her, he also was not necessarily sold on the idea of taking her to Snoke either. He blurted out 'I can teach you!', meaning he thought he himself could train Rey, rather than what he had been told to do.

But the fact that she suddenly managed a great deal of calm and focus in the Force took him by surprise, and she overwhelmed him, his injury and lack of confidence finally taking its toll.

Plus, you have to remember, dude had literally JUST killed his own father, so it's entirely possibly that he was not really in the best mental shape for a fight.

That's the way I saw the fight in the forest.

Nothing about it rang as false or unreasonable.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

The only two things bothering me:

Why did the scavenger Teedo give up BB8 so easily to Rey? That was his find. And he just let her have the droid with no care.

Why didn't the Rathtar kill Fin? It killed everyone else like they were nothing, but dragged Fin around the ship while Rey devised a plan to free 'em.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Maybe if he had seen Rey kick ass before, he didn't want any part of that? Just my guess. He didn't look like much of a fighter.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Seems almost remarkably obvious that we'll find out she was being trained by Luke and was one of, if not the only survivors of Ben turning on the group. He hid her on Jakku (he'd know a thing or two about hiding people on desert plants) and, I think, gave Simon Pegg the Millenium Falcon as payment for watching her. And if true, it fills in soooooooooo many gaps in the movie.

For instance, both times she effectively wields the Force, it's after she's relaxed, closed her eyes and.... conjured something from her distant past. And Ren makes reference to the temple; he reads it in her head - how did it get there? Again, it make too much sense.

Man, if Abrams and Kasdan had... six more months, I think they would have absolutely nailed what is already a really good movie. For instance, it would have been cool if, it turns out, the maps didn't lead to Luke but, rather, Rey. She was the one they were looking for. And I hope against all hope that she's related to exactly no one.

16. i3artow i3aller

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I just re-watched the trailer and yeah....I think I can hear Vader breathing. Right at 1:27 after the word "become." That's followed by his theme...

Interesting.

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

That's the route to go. I knew nothing about Force Awakens, it made the movie so much more enjoyable being surprised / clueless about things (new characters etc).

19. i3artow i3aller

:cool:

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YjTkqg8QFd4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

What if Rey, being supremely powerful as we now know her to be, was the one who turned against the class, and Luke hid her to try and re-boot her mind? Ben witnessed such awesome destructive power and was like screw the light side.