1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MUSIC] Most under rated band of all time...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FranchiseBlade, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Heard, but the fact that you fail to mention Moby Grape along with Love, BS and the Byrds proves that they're underrated and unknown. The first Moby Grape Lp from 67 is full of taught 2 minute rock n roll songs, a massive contrast to the West Coast jamming scene they were a part of. Hyped to the gills and compared to the Beatles they imploded within a year amid drug busts and breakdowns and getting caught with underage girls but for a moment in 67/68 the Grape were poised to take their place with the greats....

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8a8cutYP7fojSii4F-ymNdTbmJBNylNu

2. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Last but not least, with classical, it's Beethoven, Mozart and Bach, but let's give Mussorgsky his just due:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iCEDfZgDPS8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. dandorotik

Of course, there are dozens from that era. Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Country Joe and the Fish, Procol Harum... just so many.

4. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Delany and Bonnie and friends anyone...? :cool: WHO???

5. dandorotik

Yes, I think Clapton played with them.

You know, a couple of morons on some site the other day were talking about Clapton, talking ****, as it were, "overrated," and they said:

What do Eric Clapton and coffee have in common?

They both suck without Cream.

Well, it took 1 picture for me to not only drop that mic, but ram it straight up their you-know-what:

[​IMG]

This might sound over-the-top, but one cannot be a true rock and roll fan if one does not know what this picture represents (hint: arguably the greatest guitar work in rock and roll history)

6. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Yes he did along with Duane Allman and some guy named George Harrison...

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, since it looks like we're allowed to name more than one band, I'll submit another.

FISHBONE.

I always like bands who can seamlessly play any and every genre without missing a beat. Fishbone played rock, funk, punk, soul, ska, rap, and even gospel (last part of video posted below) all with relevant social commentary in the lyrics to boot. Flea has said there would be no RHCP without Fishbone and that Norwood (bass player) is one of his biggest idols.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xSecQXLWxR4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Nook

Nook Member

T-Rex

Deep Purple

Dire Straits

Fugazi

ZZ Top

And........ the most underrated band in the last 30 years: Mother Love Bone

9. what

what Member

For country, it would be shenandoah.

If some new band, pop or country or in between went back and covered some of their tunes it would be a massive hit today:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vnt1DRl18so" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Is The National worth checking out??

11. SuraGotMadHops

Beach Boys..

From the Pet Sounds album and onward, Brian Wilson laid out some deep, dark, cuts. They were so much more than surf rock, you can thank that jerk Mike Love for making it the oldies act it is today.

1 person likes this.
  12. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

13. Buck Turgidson

Blech...

The correct answer is The Mavericks

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6Ss7djOJmGY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

repped...great call.

15. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Great post. Great band. I hate Kid Rock, but he was right about them. I saw them live in the early aughts as a young 20-ish year old, knowing only "I want you (to want me)."

I left a changed man. Who can say that about a band they saw for the first time 20 years after their peak!?!?

16. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Sorry to double post, but I have to echo ima's post about Fishbone. Great band!! Also, how about Leon Russell?

17. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

YES, the Master of Space and Time!!!!

Add in Harry Nilsson and Van Dykes Parks.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Some great choices here already and agree with the Op about The Kinks. If I recall right even Pete Townshend called Ray Davies the greatest songwriter.

Also agree with other posters about Primus, Fishbone, Los Lobos and Townes Van Zandt but I'm really glad DCKid brought up The Replacements. Without them there probably wouldn't be Grunge and the Minneapolis sound predates the Seattle sound but never got the same following as Seattle did.
    Many might've have heard the more polished version of this song with horns but this version encapsulates more of what I think the Replacements were about with the rawness and sheer energy.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8M7q5Mn3-oM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Husker Du, another Minnesota band from the 80's that was pretty influential but underrated.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/J1sYN0PuRs4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For those of us who play Celtic influenced rock / punk it's hard to call The Pogues underrated when they are the band that pretty much everyone looks to. They basically invented a new genre and Shane MacGowan is a very underrated song writer when many outside of the genre such as Nick Lowe and Joe Strummer have cited him as an influence.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B4v6aNjGFFk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3 people like this.
  19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I celebrate most of their catalog, particularly Boxer, High Violet, and Trouble Will Find Me.

20. GIGO

GIGO Member

Motorpsycho

[​IMG]