1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

George Springer's Ceiling

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by cwebbster, Apr 12, 2016.

1. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Curious what my fellow Stros fans feel. What do you think his ceiling will be? I am thinking Hunter Pence. What say you?

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If healthy he's already better than Hunter Pence. Last seaon he posted a WAR of 3.8 in only 102 games. Hunter Pence's career high is 3.9.

His ceiling is one of the best players in the game. After his improved rates last year, I think Springer is very capable of posting a .280/.375/.475 type line. Optimistically I don't think a .300/.400/.500 is out of the question. To go along with a great defense, and great speed on the base paths.

His combination of strike zone recognition (he strikes out a lot, but he usually swings at strikes), speed and power is extremely rare. He's off to a slow start, looks a little jumpy, but he'll calm down. He just needs to stay healthy.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

better than that, offensively and defensively (better range). Though Pence has had longevity, consistency, and health (aside from last year)--which are difficult things to predict and attain for anyone.

4. Buck Turgidson

Skill-wise: Eric Davis in the late 80's. Great speed, power and glove. Will strike out a bunch, never hit for a really high average, but will draw enough walks to maintain a very good OBP.

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Is Springer more valuable to this team as a leadoff guy?

Last year when he was batting first, I saw a tamed swing going for base hits.

I like that Springer much more than the Cargo impressions he has been supplying thus far.

6. awc713

awc713 Member

Honestly, probably Lorenzo Cain with Dale Murphy potential (i.e., 1 or 2 30/30 seasons)

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

bWAR high is 5.6 (2011). fWAR high is 5.5 (2013).

That said, I expect Springer will have a similar career. Maybe better, maybe worse...but in the same ballpark.

Ceiling is probably about an 8 WAR player.

8. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I think his ceiling would be different than Pence. He's more athletic. More speed and raw power. A bit less of a hit tool.

Player comps are hard, but maybe Curtis Granderson? Largely dependent upon BABIP, some years an MVP candidate, some years just a solid starting OF.

9. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Through the roof.

1 person likes this.
  10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

It is out of the question when he takes hacks like he has this season.

He needs to tone it down to 75% and let the barrel do the talking.

His down to one knee swings are ugly, and only Tuck can pull that off.

11. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Jim Edmonds.

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I just did a quick check on BBR, that's one of the larger disparities I've seen between the 2 sites. Still, at this point if Springer stays healthy, I think a Hunter Pence like career is his floor.

One of the reasons I'm so high on Springer is his plate discipline. Since 2014, his outside the zone swing rate is 24th out of 236 players (min 700 PA). He doesn't chase bad pitches. He swings through a lot of strikes for some reason, but pitchers have to come into the zone. And with his speed/power combo I think he's gonna put up huge numbers.

He's forcing the issue a little right now, but he'll come around.

13. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Andruw Jones(hopefully)

14. conquistador#11

just needs to stay healthy and everything will pan out, so like 17ft clearance sounds about right.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

His absolute ceiling is Mike Trout-esque, but

is a far more likely outcome.

I really like what Springer was doing last year at the plate. Probably sacrificing some power to get on base more.

16. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Good comparison. I can live with that! I use to hate him on the Braves but he was really good.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Mike Trout with more strikeouts.

18. Marteen

Marteen Member

Geez, what happened to this guy? I felt like he completely fell off the face off the earth.

As far as Springer is concerned, I just hope he stays healthy. Anything else is a plus for me.

19. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Huh? The guy had 10 productive seasons and then 5 semi-productive ones across multiple teams. 15 seasons in the bigs is far from "falling off the face of the earth"

20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Andruw Jones had 67 WAR over his career and is a borderline hall of famer. That'd be a tremendous outcome for Springer but it's not far fetched.