1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MUSIC] Most under rated band of all time...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FranchiseBlade, Apr 11, 2016.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tell me yours...

Mine is The Kinks...

They have so many great songs and maintained a high degree of quality in their releases for longer than anyone with the possible exception of Elvis Costello but he isn't under rated. He gets his props as he should.

The kinks were the hardest rockers of the British invasion. They revolutionized and innovated guitar sounds. 20 years later they were the anthem and theme song of MTV. They were the song being played while the moon man was planting the MTV flag on the moon.

Just their popular songs would make them under appreciated today. I'm going with You Really Got Me (covered by Van Halen 20 years later). Lola, Superman, Come Dancing, All Day and All of the Night, Destroyer, etc.

But those hits don't really even tell half the story. There are so many songs such as Waterloo Sunset, This Is Where I Belong... etc. that tell a a whole different story.

Then there is also their Tin Pan Alley sound which is featured heavily on the Something Else Album. Their concept album Arthur (Or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire ...)

They had an influence on groups such as the Jam who covered their masterful un-touted song David Watts. They also influenced The Libertines, Yo La Tengo, Jonathan Richman, Van Halen, The Pretenders, etc.

Yet despite all of this it seems like the main groups you hear about from the 60's are The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeplin, and The Who (in that order).

I can appreciate the contribution of all of those groups, but in my opinion only one of those ranks above the Kinks who aren't talked about nearly as much.

2 people like this.
  2. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Little Feat.

1 person likes this.
  3. what

what Member

Cinderella.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The K-Settes starring Butcher's Blind

5. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

Hmm... Duncan Sheik comes to mind.

His one big pop hit was "Barely Breathing" back in the mid-90s, but after that his fifteen minutes were pretty much over. In the past decade he's actually had success writing musicals, including the Tony award-winning Spring Awakening.

He does have some good light pop songs ("Barely Breathing" and "Genius," for instance), but his more mellow stuff is even better. His best songs aren't ones that a whole lot of people are going to appreciate immediately, but listen to them enough and they get under your skin. He has a pretty mesmerizing vocal quality... kinda Jackson Browne-like, sliding softly between notes. And he rocks at writing lyrics (e.g. "Reasons for Living," "Sad Stephen's Song," "Mr. Chess").

Whether he's the most under-rated ever, I dunno... I suppose that would really go to some garage band that no one has ever heard of at all, but certainly Sheik deserves more attention that he's gotten.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IcxV5Y7KNnw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-Z7WC8FAmEM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lM-Lz3gxd_Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#5 AtheistPreacher, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

A perfect circle

That band deserved much much more.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k2A8H0EZFig" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

brew-terry-smoove

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Foxy Shazam, most recently.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Kings X.

1 person likes this.
  10. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Primus. /thread

1 person likes this.
  11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

2nd on A Perfect Circle. Mer de Noms is a top 10 album for me and they were extremely beautiful live. I'm one of the biggest Tool fans alive but if I had to choose which band Maynard had to front right now...

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It's hard for me to say one specific band or group. I'll have to think about it. I can say an album that is underrated and completely perfect in my opinion is Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights.

Currently the most underrated group out there that can do no wrong in my eyes are these guys.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OQ5rI461KNE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. GIGO

GIGO Member

Yes... and yes!
    Lately been listening to their early 90s albums that never get old.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Cattle Decapitation

15. mikus

mikus Member

I always thought School of Fish was a bit underrated. I even like their more obscure 2nd album.

<iframe width="420" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xTobR-5IwoY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I would probably go with this as well.

17. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Nice to see you recovered from the dead! Seems that you and Jesus have a thing in common!

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Dude....major rep to you.

I have a 2 CD "best of" The Kinks in my truck, about 50 some-odd songs. When I was driving the other day and listening to their music, I actually thought about starting such a thread as this. The Kinks were unbelievably good, but their albums sold small, and some of their greatest songs didn't really catch fire here in the States.

When I first put on the Kinks in the truck, my wife perked up really quick; she didn't know about them, having come from Brazil. She was like, "Wow, this music is awesome." (Naturally, she was hooked from the get-go; "You Really Got Me" was the first song, but they honestly have so many great tunes, and a wry sense of humor in many, as evidenced by more than just "Lola").

CRIMINALLY underrated band.

1 person likes this.
  19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Definitely a top 10 all-time album for me as well. Every song is great. It is a nearly perfect album. Some of the lyrics are stupid, but I think it was done in an ironic tone, something that has clearly influenced bands like The National.

The biggest knock on the band is that some viewed them as nothing more than a Joy Division revivalist group.

But I think at least in the hipster collective it is a pretty revered work. I think Antics is pretty underrated for what it is. If it was judged apart from TOTBL I think it would have stood well on it's own.

I saw them at Verizon back in 2010. Some guy in the back just kept yelling STELLLLLLLLA.

20. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member