1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pitching - Are we concerned?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by cwebbster, Apr 11, 2016.

1. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Pitching has been atrocious thus far this season. Yes the season is still young, but we are gasping for air with the Starters and the Bullpen.

Should we be worried?

2. 713

713 Member

No way way too early, give it two more weeks for everything to settle. Still early April grass just started turning green.

3. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Yes. I've written off the season like the Rockets season. Looking forward to 2017.

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

No. A 7.02 ERA that is 2 runs below the next worst AL club and 3 runs below the AL median isn't going to be the standard. Nor is Keuchel going to become a bad pitcher after 2 spectacular seasons.

As you said, the season is young. I would guess this ends up as one of the 2 worst 6-game stretches of pitching for the season.

5. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

So glad to finally be home at Minute Maid. Have a strong feeling the buzz saw will start working here........

6. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

The addition of a healthy McCullers will do wonders for the rotation.

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm still of the opinion that last year's success will be hard to duplicate. I think this season is going to be the sophomore slump. But, predictions are worthless speculation so. Last season, we were picked to finish 25th out of all teams and one spot below the rangers by some publication.

I don't think we should be too concerned about slow starts to the season. We need enough games under the belt to see what patterns develop.

8. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

"Healthy" is the key word here. Hate seeing a young pitcher start the year on the DL, doesn't bode well for the season. McCullers' health and whether McHugh can repeat last year (at least the good parts of last year) will go a long way to determining how far this team goes.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

While not concerned, I will say my tune has changed quite a bit from where it was this offseason, when I was a bit perplexed why the team (reportedly) was targeting TOR pitchers. Everything after Keuchel is a crapshoot - McCullers because of his age and experience; everyone else because, frankly, they're just not consistently good pitchers - they have flashes, and overall, they are beyond competent BOR starters. But, IMO, performance-wise, a tad too unreliable to be a team's 2nd or 3rd best starters...

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

McHugh repeated 2014 when he was solid last year.

Do you also ask if Carlos Carrasco can repeat last year, or do you trust that he'll be good even after a rough start to the season?

11. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Very true, but I am just hoping that the Astros are just being extra cautious with McCullers, and that this is mainly being done to limit his innings. In addition to this start to the season for him, I can see a start or two being skipped around the All-Star Game as well.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

[sarcasm]I sure am glad they didn't waste money on Greinke.[/sarcasm]

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Keuchel's ERA is only 3.55, not exactly bad.

I think the rest of the rotation is somewhat concerning, but I think the odds of Fiers, Feldman, Fister, & McHugh all failing badly are slim.

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I tend to agree; I have heard - and respect - all the advanced metrics that pointed to the Astros underachieving last year... but it still felt like they overachieved. I mean, the team didn't expect to be a playoff team last year, for heaven's sake.

You see young teams take that first step, often ahead of schedule, and then slip the following year, for a variety of reasons. I ran into resistance this winter trying to caution the many "if"s I thought a lot of fans were taking for granted and now, of course... Giles is off to a bad start; Gomez continues to struggle; McCullers is hurt...

Man, baseball is such a grind. I think the Astros will be OK this year - and they're certainly primed for a bright future - but a small setback before they set-out on yearly domination wouldn't at all be surprising to me.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There's actually room for them to regress in the pitching, and still improve upon their overall record from last year.

I mean, they had the best starters ERA all season... along with the best bullpen ERA for a large majority of the season. Anybody who expected all of that to be duplicated when factoring in this year's potential success would be very presumptuous.

The factors that could/should allow for overall improvement is if they get a full season of WAR from Springer/Correa/Gomez (which even with his struggles, still exceeds Marisnick), less platoon time for Rasmus, and more consistency from the 1B/DH positions (already seeing some of that)... along with the added WAR of Giles.

They obviously can't be scraping the barrel with starting pitching (as they are now), and I don't expect that to be the case... even if they aren't league best again.

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I would think that starting off with all those games on the road had an effect, no?

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'll wait till they get back home for a stretch.

I think the weather's effect on our arms is underrated.

You go from 70-80 to 30-50, and it's going to disrupt you.

18. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

McHugh had four fairly terrible years before 2014, so yeah, I do question whether he can repeat last year. It was about June of last year, IIRC, that many fans were calling for McHugh to be cut. So he had an up and down year last year that ended fairly well.

I don't pay close enough attention to Carlos Carrasco to answer your question.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why does everybody blame the weather in Milwaukee? It was 72 in that dome all weekend.

Unless we think the cumulative effect of NY and the time they spent going between the hotel/bus/stadium in Milwaukee did them in?

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Its not too early to reasonable agree our pitching has started off awful. But I agree its too early to assume it will stay this way.