1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Murder investigation after woman found dead at UT Austin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dc rock, Apr 7, 2016.

1. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Murder investigation after woman found dead at UT Austin

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/murder-investigation-after-body-found-on-ut-austin-campus/

Campus police at the University of Texas at Austin are investigating a homicide after a woman was found dead in a creek on campus Tuesday, officials said Tuesday.

According to CBS affiliate KEYE,*the University of Texas police department responded to reports of a body in a creek on campus west of the Alumni Center at 10:46 a.m. Tuesday morning. The body is a woman in her 20s, the station reports.

2. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

Got a school alert text couple days ago about a dead body found in the creek. Man that's just so horrible how someone can be so messed up to do something like this. Prayers to the family and friends involved.

3. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

It's also quite scary for the rest of the campus. Everyone, mainly girls, should always be aware of their surroundings and have a buddy system when walking late at night!

4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

The body was found behind the bldg where my sister-in-law works. Here's what was released by UT last night:

-------- Original Message --------
    Sent:Wed, 06 Apr 2016 18:57:07 -0500
    To:University of Texas at Austin-HR-ALL-ALLUTEMPLOYEES-Official
    Subject:Investigation Continues

Dear UT Community,

I wish we had more information to share at this time about the tragedy on campus this week. Law enforcement agencies are actively engaged in the investigation but cannot yet release details that would compromise their efforts. A brief statement from the Austin Police Department is attached below.

Increased patrols will continue on campus tonight.

And my thoughts are with all of those who may be touched by this tragedy.

Sincerely,

Gregory L. Fenves
    President

Statement regarding The University of Texas at Austin homicide

As The University of Texas at Austin homicide investigation continues, the Austin Police Department will be the lead agency, working closely with the University of Texas Police Department, University of Texas System police, the Texas Department of Public Safety, the Texas Rangers and other federal, state and local partners. All law enforcement agencies are working diligently and thoroughly on any investigative leads to ensure all evidence is completed, processed and that all witnesses are interviewed.

The main focus at this time is to identify, locate and arrest the individual that committed this crime.

Extra officers will remain in the area. We do want the campus community to be vigilant, and if you see something that looks suspicious, call 9-1-1 immediately. Remember, always walk with a buddy, in well-lit areas and be aware of your surroundings.

As new information becomes available, it will be provided in a timely manner.

5. Bob Barker 007

UT-Austin identifies student found dead on campus; police investigate
    Link:
    Full article:
    The woman found dead in a creek on Tuesday at the University of Texas at Austin was a first-year Theatre and Dance student recruited to the college from Portland, university President Gregory Fenves said in a statement Thursday afternoon.

Haruka Weiser's death is being investigated as a homicide, though officials have not yet released a cause of death. Her body was found in a creek on campus near the alumni center and the football stadium.

Weiser was first reported missing on Monday morning and officials
    began searching for her, according to the statement. A day later they found Weiser, apparently the victim of a "horrifying and incomprehensible crime," Fenves wrote.

"The unthinkable brutality against Haruka is an attack on our entire family," Fenves wrote. "Law enforcement is fully engaged to do everything to bring the perpetrator who committed this crime to justice."

It's unclear whether authorities have identified a suspect. An Austin police spokeswoman said investigators were not ready to release additional information and the Texas Department of Public Safety did not immediately respond to messages seeking comment.

Fenves said Weiser was trained in ballet and was involved in a student-run organization for dancers, Dance Action. She also performed at a fall concert.

"Haruka was a beloved member of our dance community, liked and admired by her classmates and respected by professors for her intelligence and spirit," Fenves wrote.
    Extra officers and police vehicles were spotted on campus, according to The Daily Texan, and the university has increased the number of van shuttles for students. A program where volunteers walk with students, SURE Walk, has reported a 400 percent increase in users since the woman’s body was discovered.

“I have spoken with campus public safety leaders and am writing to assure you that we are doing everything possible to ensure safety on campus,” Fenves said in an earlier statement to students.

Tuesday’s discovery came just three days after police were called to the campus for a suspected burglary and sexual assault of a student, according to The Dallas Morning News. Police believe the student knew the suspect, who has not been named, in that case.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I am devastated to learn that our student Haruka Weiser has been identified as the victim of the homicide. <a href="https://t.co/47BasRH3vb">https://t.co/47BasRH3vb</a></p>&mdash; Greg Fenves (@gregfenves) <a href="https://twitter.com/gregfenves/status/718116989357559808">April 7, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

This is so awful.

She was basically just a kid, too.

7. gatsby

gatsby Member

Devastating. Thoughts and prayers.

Here's a photo of her:

[​IMG]

8. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

9. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Whoever did this should be stoned to death in public. Rot in hell you pathetic piece of ****.

10. gatsby

gatsby Member

I just watched the video of the person of interest as he walks the red/pink bike. As he walks beside it, it's clear that a bag is hanging from the handlebars. Doing my best to look at the bag, it looks like a large bag / purse that most female college students use as it can fit books.

I think this person may have her bag in the video, and subsequently, may be the one who murdered her.

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Heinous crime. That creek next to the alumni center is usually very empty as well. I would see maybe 1 or 2 people during the day hanging out there when I would walk by. I can only imagine that it is completely desolate at night.

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL......big assumption from a grainy video. Looks like a duffle bag. He is in no hurry. Very Calm. I dont know. Could be someone that was in the area.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I commute on campus all the time through that exact location at late nights for study sessions. I wish I could have been of help.

Students really need to avoid walking down anything other than Speedway late night. Anything east of San Jan is very very desolate.

#13 RedRedemption, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  14. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

That's so strange. People just don't get murdered on campus. There was the drug dealer and his girlfriend a few years ago and the Boyfriend and crazy chick friend about 10 years ago.

That's all I can remember. Both of those were very personal attacks. You would expect a random attack to be robbery or (sadly) assault but murder?

15. RedRedemption

There is no reason to believe that this isn't a personal attack as well. Police have even hinted that they think the suspect and the victim knew each other.

16. gatsby

gatsby Member

Keep in mind, police have said that there was an assault but have refused to say more (i.e. sexual assault). So the random attack possibility still exists.

17. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I hardly think you could say there is no reason. As I said, these tend to be personal in nature unless the suspect is insane. Can you quote the comment made by the police? I'm not doubting you. Just wondering.

18. RedRedemption

Maybe I used poor choice of words, I was really meaning don't rule out personal attacks just yet. You seemed to insinuate that this was a random attack at the end of your past post.

End of the fox news article:

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I wonder what the support and extended media time would be if the victim wasnt very attractive? Not saying this isnt a tragedy, but things could be very different with a victim not meeting the publics opinion of 'pretty'.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Media has their mind on the money, and their money on your clicks.