1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Racial Bias in treating black patients

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Apr 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Sounds like just dumb college kid stuff. Like they heard that over drinks at a frat party while playing with black friends.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Umm, no. Sorry, no one said it wasn't working and was broken. YOU said that.

The problem is with stereotypes. Keep up.

Says the admitted white supremacist...lol

The idea that black people have to take care of themselves more or less than white people is silly. There is this thing called government, I know you are about as right wing as it gets but it affects the lives of EVERYONE.

Black people did have to take care of themselves and this was with little government assistance or just flat out being opposed by the very same government.

Not even going to entertain this ignorance.

What have YOU contributed to the world? Franchise named a few, here are some more notable modern ones. Patricia Bath and Ben Carson political opinions aside.

Which is irrelevant to the point that white people also use government assistance and aid programs. Using your stupid logic, some means all. So all white people use it.

Lol what?

Oh wait, you are the person that thinks civil rights were invented by white people after all.

White europeans and their progeny...wtf...that's a new one. I'm really curious as to what you mean by that. Who...what races are the progeny to White Europeans?

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How is it misleading. There are plenty of articles and studies I've put in this thread regarding racial bias in treatment of black patients.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I mean, it might be just a very pervasive stereotype:

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...gth_speed_pain_tolerance_and_the_magical.html

5. Nook

Nook Member

This particular article is about medical students, and the same article makes reference to medical doctor's suggesting the same treatment regardless of skin color.

So THIS article doesn't really substantiate black people getting different or lesser treatment from medical doctors.

Are there articles that state that black people receive less or different medical treatment when patients? Absolutely, but that isn't what this article is really saying...... I don't think you intended to be deceptive, I just think the value/findings of this article are limited.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I agree with you regarding that article but the intent was to discuss the larger issue of bias in treatment versus just the one article. I should have posted other articles as well in the OP.

7. Nook

Nook Member

That is fair..... and there are other articles that support that point.

1 person likes this.
  8. Exiled

Exiled Member

i see it more of a case of medical students making uninformed guess than an actual discrimination . I would agree there is a discrimination but it is not solely based on Race alone , its is more based on Social Statue.

The main problem every Internal Medicine Physician faces daily is Drug Seekers which in many way can complicate the situation of others just by the reputation , you would loose track of how many times you would see an HIV patient admitted to the ward as a case of infective endocarditis , and only to find out that person was hiding the drugs that received between gums ,hoping to sell it or consume it later . Those drugs such Hydromorphone has a high street price value .

9. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

What are the differences in skin types and resulting medical issues?

Irish people for example are extremely prone to skin cancer compared to african americans. African Americans are more prone to keyloid (spelling?) scarring.

10. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

So if you send poor kid home with a prescription for Hydromorphone for his pain, the belief might be that he won't get to take that medicine anyway?

11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Medical analysis often involves assessing differences among race, sex, age, etc. There is nothing wrong with prescribing a treatment that is tailored toward a specific race just as there is nothing wrong with a treatment that is tailored toward a specific age group or sex. However, yes, if there is no basis for such treatment bias then it is wrong. Bear in mind, this study only focused on white medical students and their perceptions of black patients.

12. Exiled

Exiled Member

its unfortunate but yes most likely

at least here in Canada with a free health care system , its cheaper for a drug addict to go through the system than buying it from the street, for example in the case of infective endocarditis , a suspected patient admitted for 4-6 weeks where you insert IV line for antibiotic along with pain medication.this mandatory hospital admission attempt to lower the risk but still most drug seekers would be thrilled to have this line so they can dispose drugs through it , more convenient way than self injecting and more effective than swallowing and digesting . And most of them they would try to escape at one point before they are fully treated .! this when they are given the choice : you want to go , you wont have your IV line or medication.

This why more of Special Pain Clinics created to offset some of the miss created by this practice

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

. . . and folx wonder why black folx leery of the medical establishment.
    . . . tuskeegee .. . .they did the *****

. . . *shrug* totally unsurprising

. . . thicker skin? Yea, cause you gotta be able to shrug off alot of stuff

Rocket River

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

If you look at the study - they controlled for those factors and still saw differences.

15. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

The point of that post was that the excerpt of that article doesn't seem very believable. I have almost no knowledge of the medical profession though, so unlike most of the people in this thread who are going to pretend they know what they're talking about, I'm going to avoid that.

It definitely seems like something is up and there's some sort of fallacy being committed with these questions or their interpretations that are leading to weird results.

My thoughts are probably summarized (I didn't write anything myself since I don't have the basis) and confirmed by this post:

16. Exiled

Exiled Member

Italians more likely to be subjected to discrimination than Balcks

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Maybe I'm off base but it looked like these issues went away as the student became more educated. Granted I think 3-4% is still far too high of an acceptable rate for these doctors to be factually incorrect about something like skin. That said it was a small study and I think that rate would decline if it studied more doctors. It would also have been interesting if the study would have looked at negative bias against all "races". To me this study just seems to show that doctors view whites as bigger p*****s, but that's what I take out of it.

Additionally, I've heard more than a few doctors state some stupid ass opinions so let's not treat doctors as if they are gods.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The institution of medicine and doctorin? Mkay. The Stormfront is strong with you.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Now that we know that calling someone thick skinned is now a racist and bigoted term, I guess we can't go around telling people they need to be thick skinned when they are easily offended.