1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Racial Bias in treating black patients

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Apr 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Systematic racism is a system designed to promote racism. This is racial bias where people treat people of one race similarly. They are two very different things.

Personally I don't want a Dr. giving my kid opioids. It doesn't say they were not givin pain medicine but that they were less likely to get opioids for some reason which they are trying to determine.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No that is not what systematic racism is.

And there are other studies showing bias in treatment of blacks - both adults and children. This isn't new. Sounds like you just don't want to believe racism exists.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol, look who crawled out of Stormfront today! Your post makes NO sense, but I'm not too surprised, since you have proven to know little about history or science or just common sense in general. For example,

But I guess it's cool to know you'll pop out from the dredges of the internet just to insult black people.

This I disagree with. I think it is more that most if not all people carry stereotypes that are attached to what we define as races today, but not exactly racial bias.

Thinking that black people can better handle pain sounds like some stereotype, one that fits along the general stereotype that black people are closer to 'animal' than 'human' than other races. It's a negative stereotype to be sure but it fits right along with the rest of them. I think the stereotypes are far more common than the bias.

People really have to destroy the stereotypes in relation to race.

4. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

Ad Hom's.... Attack my response f***** not me. Pro Tip: You can't/

Edit: How did i insult black people by asking why there aren't more black doctors and why you guys don't have your own institutions by now? Seems to me like you don't think it's plausible which is mighty rayciss of you.

#24 jcee15, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  5. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

It's a well known idea, but turns out to be a untrue. I had heard this before I went to medical school, but have not heard anything about it since.

**From "Caliper-measured skin is similar in white & black women." J Am Acad Dermatol 2000;42:76-9.
    [QUOTE="Caliper-measured skin is similar in white & black women." J Am Acad Dermatol 2000;42:76-9.] Intro: "Although race may influence various physical characteristics such as hair structure, soft tissue and bony facial structures, and bone mineral density, it is not known whether race may also be a determinant of skin thickness. Although one investigation did detect a race-associated difference in epidermal skin thickness limited to sun-exposed skin, this study did not assess the dermis, which constitutes the bulk of the skin thickness.1

Because black persons have a greater bone mineral density (BMD) than whites2 and because both the bony matrix and the skin dermis are composed of more than 70% type I collagen, it is biologically plausible that black persons may have thicker skin than whites. Although some studies have detected a correlation between skin thickness and BMD, others have not.3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10

The purpose of our present investigation was to determine whether race is a determinant of skin thickness.

Conclusion: Unlike bone density, there is no significant difference in non-sun-exposed skin thickness between white and black women. [/QUOTE]

It sounds like a prior study did find a difference between darker sun-tanned & lighter less-tanned epidermis (the thinner outer layer of one's skin). Maybe why the idea is so widely believed to begin with.

#25 BabyClutch, Apr 6, 2016
  6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is offensive to think that any medical institution isn't for black people. There shouldn't have to a "your own". Every single medical institution should be for black people, white people, any people.

Your idea that that you lump black people into one group and suggest they have their own institution is offensive in itself. Then attaching to that offensive idea is the other offensive idea that the reason there isn't a black medical institution is because somehow black people are incapable of it.

Of course if you look at many of the major advancements in medicine, and surgery, you would see that people of African decent played a huge role in that.

7. Nook

Nook Member

The most interesting point?

When they gave experienced MD's the same cases, they did NOT recommend different treatment for black patients.

So in reality medical STUDENTS assume false stereotypes, but by the time they are experienced doctor's that isn't the case?

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

That appears to be the case - but there are other studies showing the bias exists in other places in the medical system.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Not only that but he throws in..

For good measure, then turns around and acts like he's not playing the role of racist here and he knows he is.

Any ways to expand on your point, white people don't have their own medical institutions either. So I should be asking you the same question Jcee, why not? Why not Asians? Why not those evil sneaky Jews you also like to blame everything for, surely they have one too right?

Also, just so that you learn something Jcee. There were Black Hospitals, but segregation ended a few decades ago man. Get over it.

10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I think quality education and exposure to science do a great deal to squash some of the stereotypes.

It's why more of it would be good for everyone. It's still troubling that some of the false stereotypes exist amongst the students in this day and age.

11. jcee15

Clearly it isn't working if "systemic racism" keeps impeding the progress of blacks. Just admit you want a systemic safe space for black people. Which would be your own institution...duh duh duh

But you want preferential treatment from all races esp. white

Name one.... Has to not be legitimate and has to have equality for other races.

That's hilarious.

12. jcee15

OMG OMG..... You're so right. Before de-segregation black people had to take care of themselves and their communities. Now they don't and depend on other people to do it for them. Sounds like de-segregation was a bad idea for all.

#32 jcee15, Apr 6, 2016
  13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Who says it isn't working? Trying to make something better and more fair for all people isn't the same as saying it's broken. As pointed out, this is a problem for the less experienced.

Wait, how is being treated the same now preferential treatment?

You realize that segregation is over with right? Guess I'll hit on this later.

What is funny about the truth?

I'm sorry, but you are a little confused. I'm not sure what you mean by black people having to depend on other people to take care of them. I'm guessing you mean government assistance, which I'll have you know is available for all citizens? The most hated Affirmative Action benefits white women after all.

Lol, really now? You know from a white supremacist and nationalist standpoint I can see how you think segregation was a great thing. It was terrible for everyone else, and it wasn't because black people couldn't build their own communities which I know would be your response to that... In the end, we all share this same little rock any ways and it's about time we realize that.

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Your post is confusing. Every medical institution in this nation is for blacks. There are no white institutions either. Every institution is also for whites.

15. jcee15

You have comprehension problems. When I say a non-black institution you assume I mean white, that's on you.
    Refute some points plz.

16. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I have a question: are any of these "thicker skin" beliefs true?

17. jcee15

You and whoever sympathizes with "black oppression"

If the problem is just with white people as we're led to believe in countless media outlets then once were gone it will be fixed right?

Don't play coy. You aren't interested in equality.

You said black people had to take care of themselves before de-segregation. Think of other implications dork. You hit on it earlier.

Because it isn't true. No major advancement in medicine was made by anyone of African descent.

41% of black people are on welfare doofus. Don't make me find the citation.

Of course de-segregation was better for everyone else. This republic was made for white europeans and their progeny and it was officially given away in 1965.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Regardless, do you think blacks should be treated differently in hospitals because of their race - being prescribed less pain killer because of the false believe they experience less pain?

Or different tests?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2796413

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Do you know of Dr. Hale Williams? What he's done?

Do you know of Dr. Charles Drew? What he's done?

Do you know of Ernest Just? What he's done?

Those are just a few. There are plenty of others who have made significant contributions.

Just do a little research.

20. Nook

Nook Member

I agree, it is very troubling but the thread title is misleading.