1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Racial Bias in treating black patients

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Apr 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People say systematic racism doesn't exist. Well...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/racial-bias-may-lead-to-mismanaged-pain-in-black-patients/

Let's hope our right-wing friends don't dismiss this another PC thing.

#1 Sweet Lou 4 2, Apr 6, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  2. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

You're joking, right?

3. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I didn't read that article or your comments about it at all.

Maybe the question was worded in a weird way. Maybe those questions mean something else to med students than they do to laymen. Maybe Black people actually do have thicker skin lol.

Just throwing things out there. I have no idea about this topic. That doesn't seem very believable though.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

about.....

5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/racial-bias-may-lead-to-mismanaged-pain-in-black-patients/

Let's hope our right-wing friends don't dismiss this another PC thing.[/QUOTE]

Read how they did the study and the questions they asked, and then take a stats class

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

What did I just read?

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

That was DudeWah's rendition of Ima Let You Finish by Kanye West.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

As someone that has received a medical education here in the U.S (I don't know about those questions in particular) there is a racial bias (mostly implicit) that is well known to most. In fact, a large portion of our education is dedicated to fighting this, as people can often make racially biased decisions without ever realizing it.

I'll share the article with some of my colleagues, but it seems grossly exaggerated (and perhaps taken out of context). Studies have consistently shown that white physicians behave in a less favorable manner towards black patients (without realizing it) than black physicians do with black patients, but nothing of the sort you are citing here.

There are often many disease states with a tropism towards specific races (whether it be due to access of care or various other factors). I can see many 1st or 2nd years falling into the trap of attributing those to biological or genetic polymorphisms alone, such as the higher incidence of heart disease in AA men and the highest death rate of prostate cancer. There are classic presentations we raise our eyebrows for, such as sarcoidosis, salmonella induced osteomyelitis (sickle cell predisposing) where if you asked me to pick a race off the top of my head I'd probably say "black".

Believing that one's "skin" is thicker? Not knowing blacks have a higher incidence of heart disease? I feel like you'll have trouble finding medical students, yet alone physicians that fail to realize that...which is why I'm having a hard time believing a lot of what this study claims.

Again, "many" is not a number or percentage so this study does raise a lot of skepticism.

Does a disparity exist? Absolutely

Does it influence pain management to (probably) the greatest degree? Most likely.

1 person likes this.
  10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

So Asian penis size on average is the same as someone of African descent?

Sweet everyone is the same how exciting!!

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder what New Yorker would think about this.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Sample size of 200 is statistically valid. 50% of them reporting believing a false statement is statistically significant with a pretty tight confidence interval. They don't share the numbers for pain treatment though.

I am not sure what your criticism of the methodology is. Perhaps your knowledge of stats is lacking?

13. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

It's called clickbait... did you click?

Were your racial biases confirmed?

Yay CBS"news"!

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Did you actually read the article or the results? I mean, it's pathetic how you dismiss anything that disagrees with your agenda.

https://news.virginia.edu/content/study-links-disparities-pain-management-racial-bias

http://www.npr.org/2016/04/05/47313...disparities-in-pain-management-to-racial-bias

https://www.statnews.com/2016/04/04/medical-students-beliefs-race-pain/

http://archpedi.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2441797
    Don't tell me that JAMA is click bait either!

#14 Sweet Lou 4 2, Apr 6, 2016
  15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Idk anything about this. But I've had one amazing Dr. in my lifetime. It was Dr. Weinstein out in the Memorial area. Amazing bedside manner and cared more about my health then I did, which was a shame. His office was just so far away from me and he switched his practice over to a membership only practice that has a yearly fee that I just couldn't afford at the time.

FWIW, I'm black and he's white... shrug -- But this thread made me lookup his website and I've decided to call his office and see if he's accepting patients. He's just an amazing Dr.

I hope this thread helps others the way it's helped me. :grin:

16. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I don't have an agenda, you do.

Racial Bias <> Systematic Racism

Everyone has racial bias. The Jama article seems like a group that is trying to do something good and figure out why so they can fix it.

17. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

I agree. Medicine has a lot to do w/ "gut decisions," similar to police work, your biases are likely to show when decisions are judgement based & not just a right or wrong answer. There is plenty of evidence that show AA patients are a lot less likely to receive pain medication for the same injuries in a hospital, among other things. So of course, systemic racism exists. People's inability to recognize that it exists always amazes me. But ya know, Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

18. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

Have more black doctors? Why don't you stop depending on the white man to take care of you?
    Start up your own institutions and never deal with"systemic racism" again. Wait, it's easier to just not do that and claim muh oppression isn't it?

#18 jcee15, Apr 6, 2016
  19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Do you know what systematic racism even is?

If there is a measurable difference in the way blacks are treated in the healthcare system than whites that is more than racial bias, that is racial discrimination.

That doesn't mean every white doctor is a racist or anything like that, it just means overall there is a race problem in the healthcare system. That is the definition of systematic racism. Duh

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So did those med students dislike black people or were they just ignorant about those topics?

I mean, black people have thicker skin? Dafuq? That's just dumb.