1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela Has Made Dwight Obsolete

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonKnock, Mar 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

That slow though? He literally stands there when other screeners just wait for Harden to take one dribble then they are already making their move toward the goal. Howard will stand there not even trying to move for like 3-4 seconds.

2. basketballholic

A couple pieces on rim protection that I like.

First one is nylon calculus. Really like how they run their analytics.

Here's their page on rim protection: http://nyloncalculus.com/stats/rim-protection/

*Note - this data has been gathered through 3/8. So, these results could be somewhat skewed now.

Some notable comparables between Dwight and Capela.

Number of rim attempts per 36 minutes on vs. off
    Dwight -3.6
    Capela +0.9

What this means is when Dwight is on the court there are 3.6 less attempts at the rim per 36 minutes than when he is off the court. What this also means is when Capela is on the court there are 0.9 more attempts at the rim then when he is off the court.

Opp. rim attempts per 36 minutes when on court:
    Dwight 22.4
    Capela 24.5

What this means is there are 2.1 more attempts at the rim per 36 minutes while Capela is on the court then when Dwight is on the court.

FG% allowed
    Dwight 49.9
    Capela 48.6

Basically less than 3% difference in their field goal percentages allowed. This is so close it could switch the other way over the course of a couple games.

Points saved per 36 minutes
    Dwight -0.81
    Capela +1.14

This is a difference of 1.95 points. Easily explained by the fact that Capela gets 3.6 more rim attempts to deal with every 36 minutes then Dwight does.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next page I like to peruse for defensive comparables is player tracking on nba.com

Here's the page: http://stats.nba.com/tracking/#!/pl...Type=Regular Season&sort=DEF_RIM_FG_PCT&dir=1

For the season this shows that when Capela is defending the rim the opponent shoots 49.8% and when Dwight is defending the rim the opponent shoots 49.1%. I'd say that's pretty even.

Flip to this page: http://stats.nba.com/tracking/#!/pl...*HOU&Season=2015-16&SeasonType=Regular Season

This shows that Dwight has an Adj. Reb. Chance Percentage of 70.2 while Capela is at 60.9. Study this one. That's a big difference. You can also look both guys Reb % at basketball-reference.com to see the gap between them on the defensive boards.

We are almost dead last in the Association in defensive rebounding. And Dwight is the best defensive rebounder we have ....... BY A MILE. It's not even close between him and Capela. Capela has been pushed around on the glass all season.

So, here's my question to all the dada's out there. You get rid of Dwight, now you've got a doubly bad defensive rebounding problem. You've got to get Dwight's boards back and furthermore you've still got to go get ANOTHER GUY to get us back up to being a plus rebounding team. Propose your solution for that problem which along with our turnovers has been the WORST SINGLE PROBLEM we've faced this whole season. You want to take away our best rebounder and replace him with an aging Horford..........who is NOT NEARLY AS GOOD AS DWIGHT IS on the glass.

You can't brush this off with ..."Well, Horford will knock down a hoard of 18 footers so we won't need the boards as much". That's silly. Horford is under water on his midrange jump shot. He's not anywhere close to 50% out there.

And don't brush this off with ...."When we get a system we'll be a difference defensive rebounding team." NO WE WON'T. SYSTEMS DON'T CREATE BETTER DEFENSIVE REBOUNDING PERCENTAGES!! Defensive rebounds are the product of winning the scrum underneath the basket and having players with rebounding instinct!! No system is going to turn us into a plus defensive rebounding team.

So...you can holler about Capela making Dwight obsolete but I'm telling you plain and simple. Starting Capela for 82 games this year would have us at about 25 wins right now. Capela got ate up when he was starting at the 5 when Dwight was out. The only thing that saved him in those situations is we were playing a list of crap teams. He's not ready. And he'll have to improve a TON to be ready come October.

So, if you think removing the guy that keeps teams from even wanting to challenge him and who is our most dominant rebounder and replacing him with Capela getting even more minutes....(with further less effectiveness at the rim and on the boards as he has to play tired) is a no-brainer and Capela has made Dwight obsolete....think again. You don't know what you're talking about.

2 people like this.
  3. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

You might be right...he sometimes runs out there like an old man

4. dmoneybangbang

I agree. I think on most teams he could be a starter. This is essentially his rookie year, considering the amount of NBA time he has, so he still has lots of room to grow.

He moves very fluidly for someone his size, has great athleticism, and has great length. You can't teach those things, but he will need to work on shooting, finishing against NBA contact, and strength.

5. dmoneybangbang

Am I only the one who would love to pry Gorgui Dieng away from the TWolves and unleash Dieng and Capela on the league for the next two years?

6. basketballholic

NO. There's probably a number of people this foolish. Dieng has been a horrible defender. He's got the same problem Capela has. He's slow witted and he gets pushed around. Not to mention he takes a ton of midrange shots and hits them at a miserable percentage rate that is basically the same efficiency as Brewer shooting a 3-ball. And that while being hand-fed by one of the game's greatest assist men.

Dieng is a backup big at best and needs to improve a ton just to stay in the active rotation of a good team.

7. dmoneybangbang

Ohhh boy.

Well first off, there's probably a number of people foolish enough to use the adjective "horrible" so liberally.

He has absolutely not been a "horrible" defender.

Slow witted? LOL. They are both relatively new to the game of basketball, like most young men of their backgrounds.

He's never had more than 8 FGA attempts, the most 10-16 footers he has taken has been 23% of FGA , and he has hit 10-16 footers 53% his career. His actual production doesn't match up to your claim. I think he would be lethal in the PNR with Harden or Beasley.

I simply disagree based on his actual production. I think Capela's most promising potential is in the defensive end while Dieng has actually shown he can hit a 10-16 footer at a decent clip. A good yin and yang center combination.

8. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

If your point is that Dwight sucks in the post, I completely agree.

He still deserves to be pissed though when he's 1 inch away from the basket with his man sealed and everyone on this team has failed to learn how to do a post-entry pass in 3 seasons.

Until the last few weeks Capela was in a major slump. He looked really really bad; it was way worse than Dwight looks right now. So let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Going forward I think Capela is the future.

9. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Only idiots think capela is better than dwight as of now but what cant be disputed is he makes plays dwight just can't, He is a hustle energy guy. For example you'll never see dwight run hard down the court beat every big man and get a dunk or clean up a missed fast break layup, or dive on the ground for a loose ball.

In spurts capela does things that can be big momentum changers for teams. Whole games is it enough to be a starting center as of right now? Prob not but I think a lot of you guys including you holic don't give the kid a fair shake. He's pretty decent backup center when you factor in he's played about 82 games total now. There is much worse backups in the NBA. Your guy Cole Aldrich who has turned himslef into a nice backup wasnt as good as capela is through his first 82 games in the league. Give the kid a chance he's got a bright future it takes a few years for the big men especaially centers to understand the game.

Putting up 7/6/1 in 19 minutes as a 21 years for intents and purposes rookie is pretty solid. He's shown some flashes and does the most important things young player can do which is play hard. Every thing else can be worked on but a lot of times these big guys don't play hard that's not capelas problem.

Give him 2 more years and he will be a pretty good player maybe even starting caliber.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Somehow Dwight doesn't like PnR. I am totally stumped for any reason. That play is perfect for him. He would be much more productive offensively if he was motivated to play the PnR. I just don't get it.

11. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I think the injuries/mileage/age has finally caught up to dwight.

This is who he is.

And if he really is injured, that's another reason not to invest big money in the guy. He can't stay healthy and if injued again would mean he's been injured in 4 out of the last 5 years. When you factor in his game is predicated on his athletism its not a good look.

Since he hurt his back he just hasn't been the same. He was really good his first year in Houston but last year he was pretty good and stepped it up in the playoffs but this year he has been pretty bad outside of that 10 game stretch before thorton fell on his ankle causing him to miss a few games. Maybe his ankle is still hurting him I don't know but the guy looks like he can't move or bend his knees anymore.

Personally I think it's time to cut bait. He's not worth the contract he is going to get offered. Is he still a decent player? Sure but over the next 4 years paying him 20+ million annually is not a smart move and will prob be a main factor in harden or signing back with us in 3 years. It's just not a winning investment when your trying to prove to your 26 year old franchise player your serious about winning and putting the right kind of players wound him.

12. basketballholic

Agreed.

But you don't see Capela do it often enough for it to be relevant either. This team plays too fast for either Dwight or Capela to get up and down with them. This team plays too fast with Harden at the controls for any bigs besides possibly Draymond to get up and down with them. And Draymond is not a legit 5 big. He's a swiss army knife. And he for sure ain't donning a Rockets jersey anytime in the next few years much less next season.

Just to reiterate, this team plays too fast with Harden at the controls for any legit 5 to get up and down with them. Unless and until we develop a cohesive half-court offense so that when we can't get the steal or bad shot defensively and run we can actually settle into a quality half-court set, then a two-way big is really useless. We'd be better off to have Dwight in there and just have him play half-court defense than to go with Capela or some other mediocre defensive big that will run a few more pick-and-rolls than Dwight does.

Fair shake?? You're agreeing with me. I've consistently said he's not ready. I've only added he may never be ready either. Because that's a distinct possibility. He may never turn the corner and be more than he is now. You're "in spurts" verbage is right on track. Just "in spurts" does he give plus play.

Dude you're comparing Capela to Cole Aldrich now. It took Aldrich 5 seasons to finally turn the corner and become a quality BACKUP 5. 5 seasons dude for him to become a quality backup 5. That's not the expectations that the majority of folks here have for Capela. Most of them think he'll be a top 15 starting 5 next season.

My comments about Capela have been spot on. He's not ready. He's not likely to be ready next season. And he may never be ready to become a top 15 center in this league.

"Pretty solid for a rookie" is irrelevant for where we are wanting to go. Once again, he's not ready. And you've already admitted it. 80% of the rookies that come into this league "show some flashes" at some point...whether it's summer league, training camp, regular season, or a couple post-season moments. Most of them show some flashes. That doesn't say anything about what they are now or what they are going to become.

Depending on Capela to anchor the middle for us next season would be a disastrous way to approach the off-season. Depending on Capela to help us get to the promised land as the backup 5 to Dwight has already snake bit us for this season.

13. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

It's because Dwight, although seemingly a great guy, is fickle like a teenage girl and it probably really bothers him when Shaq and Chuck (and the like) criticize his post-play.

He probably constantly wants it to show them (whoever the latest ex-baller to criticize him is) that he belongs in their tier.

Pure conjecture, but from afar (which means close to nothing) it seems he'd be the type to be impacted by that.

#133 DudeWah, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  14. basketballholic

So, which player doesn't like to do which thing the most?

1. Dwight doesn't like to play PnR

or

2. James Harden doesn't like to play man to man defense

Dwight needs to play close to the basket offensively. For all the defensive responsibility we ladle him with, why can't we cater to him just a little bit offensively? Let him play weak side baseline. Run the pick-and-pop with Harden/Beasley at the 3-point line. Then let Harden drive and finish or dish the lob to Dwight? What's wrong with that? And doesn't it leave Dwight in a better position to finish off the offensive rebounds off all the misses either from Harden or from guys chucking up 3's???? Doesn't it leave Harden with more space? Doesn't leave us with better floor balance to get back and defend in transition then going 4-flat in pick-and-roll????

I mean.....wouldn't it actually be smart to have Dwight in offensive rebounding position instead of having him burn himself up running pick-and-roll and dragging an extra defender into the paint with him for Harden to have to finish over?

We cater the whole offense and defense to Harden. Why can't we cater to Dwight in just a small way?

Instead we're gonna run him out of town and replace him with lord only knows who.

And we're gonna be that much further away from a championship unless we get back a defender/rebounder that is at least almost as good as Dwight is on the defensive end.

Makes no sense. But goes right along with those of you that want to see more of Clint "Butterfingers" Capela running pick-and-roll-and-fumblerooski with Harden.

15. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

How about trading for Vucevic after Dwight signs with Orlando?

16. basketballholic

Vucevic is a decent offensive player and rebounder but he's not a rim protector. He needs to play alongside a dominant rim protector to be successful.

17. AXG

AXG Member

It has less to do with Capela playing well. It's more that Dwight has been awful lately. And... he's the worst FT shooter in the league. :rolleyes:

18. basketballholic

Dwight FT percentage has cratered since we approached the trade deadline and Moiety tried to move him. It's obvious his confidence has taken a hit. The dysfunction between Harden and him is obvious. And it's distracted him mentally. The best Dwight is a loose Dwight. Every player has their quirks. This is Dwight's. He can't play as effectively when he's tight. And he's been tight for a while.

All that being said, even a tight Dwight is better from the FT line than the likes of Deandre and Andre.

19. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

When will people be DoneKnocking on Dwight?

I think for the same reason that Morey prefers the 3's over the mid-range. The stats shows Morey that catering to Harden will allow us to score more points. I'm not agreeing with this, but that is the only reason I could come up with.

20. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Great stats but we are what our record says we are 38-39 as of today. In addition, do you think D12 stats get better with age or worse and Capela gets better or worse. Those stats aren't work a max contract and no where near $20 mln a year.

In addition, your stats fail to include who he is playing with. Jason "The Greenlight" Terry, Corey "Leaking Out for a Layup" Brewer, and a host of other bad defensive players. Put D12 with that crew and watch his numbers dip.

Basketball is a team game and you can use stats to create any image you like when comparing players.