1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The WWE/Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by stthomsfinest, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

One of the worst WMs I've ever seen. Shane losing to Taker? Why? What was, then, even the point of potential change? With Shane winning and taking control of Raw, there could have been SO many storylines.

"What will Shane do to HHH/Steph?"
    "How will Shane book matches?"

No one is even in the Authority, anymore. Rollins is injured. J&J security isn't a thing. No corporate Kane. The Authority angle is stale and needs to be done. League of Nations? They seem to be the only heels that have anything to do with the Authority.

Instead, it's the same ol' shat we've seen. Watch: tomorrow, Reigns comes out, either at the beginning or end of Raw, to "celebrate" his winning, and HHH/Steph come out, with LoN to gang up on Reigns. Ambrose to make the save, bc finished with Lesnar storyline. Next week, same thing.

I mean, it just feels like a slap in the face with the Shane match. That one match could shake up the crap that is mainstream WWE. But instead, an old ass Taker gets to come back for next 'Mania. Hooray.

Couldn't Shane, as Raw "owner," just override Vince and put Taker in WM next year? idgi.

Other thoughts on the crapfest:
    - Jericho winning? What's the point, if Jericho isn't going to be a full-time wrestler? Where does Styles go from here?

- With Charlotte winning, who does she feud with? Banks and Becky are out of the picture. Paige is doing the "Total Divas" angle. No one is particularly primed to challenge Charlotte, except, I guess, Bayley?

- What's Ambrose do, now? He can't invoke his IC belt rematch clause bc Ryder (lmao) is now the IC champ.

- Still can't stop thinking about the potential Shane/Taker had, to actually change the WWE. Is Shane just not going to appear on TV anymore? Is he done with the company? Good job at selling tix for WM, WWE. Bad job of future proofing booking.

- Speaking to rematch clauses, Reigns/HHH II at the next PPV? When does Rollins come back?

- Who does Cena feud with, when he's back? Can't go after Reigns bc babyface x 2. Can't go after Ryder bc not midcard.

@ the people thinking Bray got buried: why?

Bray had a promo opposite Rock; anyone could have been scripted to interrupt Rock, but Bray was picked to do so. Besides, when has Rock "lost" a war of words on the mic?

Rowan lost in 6 seconds to Rock. Big whoop. It's not like it was Bray, himself.

Charlotte already had the Diva's title for a while. Renaming the title to reflect the state of the WWE doesn't mean it's suddenly a whole new championship. Could have easily gone to Banks tonight, with how over she is, with the general crowd.

But, lest you forget, Vince is still running things, and he clearly is deaf to what the people want.

2. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Exactly. 3x champ? Like seriously. Being champ means nothing anymore.

Cena was massively over when they force pushed him. He was the most popular wrestler in the world for like 6 years straight. So it was at least somewhat okay.

But people even got sick of someone as popular as Cena.

What did they think would happen with Reigns when they wrote him like that?

3. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Bray was buried the same way he always is. He comes out and talks very well then he sends his henchman. His henchman get destroyed and he either runs away (vs. Lesnar) or he gets destroyed too (like tonight). The good thing is, it's always against a big name. There is no traction there. He never goes anywhere.

At least the Rock mentioned his ability and charisma. But Bray didn't even put up a fight.

It's incredibly annoying that their best " character" goes through that over and over.

4. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

I said the whole family got buried, not just Bray. Had it been a promo or a one-on-one fight (not a match) then I would have felt differently. Anyone losing a match in 6 seconds at a WM doesn't deserve that stain at all. And then on top of that, Strowman got put down easily when he was hyped as this enforcer-type character. All in all, not a good WM in my opinion as well, but I am going to have a good lengthy separate post coming up.

5. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

They need to find a way to continue the Shane vs. Vince story. Turn it into a full blown war. Make Reigns pick a side. I think people might start to like him if he becomes the "bulldog" for Shane's revolution. And if he becomes the bulldog for Vince, great... He desperately needs the heel turn.

I don't know what else can save it.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Who they even pair Reigns with at this point?

They have no heels that can make his run interesting.

Maybe they gave Jericho a win so that he could work a short month long program with Reigns.

League of Nations? How exciting.

Maybe they will have Bray come back with the "Anyone but you!" angle that they completely forgot about. But Bray is not real threat at this point, if he gets a program with Reigns it'll be just to feed Reigns another opponent so that they can draw it out until they can get him his match against Rollins or Cena.

I mean there is always Brock...but at this point this has been done how many times now?

Don't know what Orton is doing or up to I suppose.

I think it would be much better if Reigns were heel but it's clear he has no reason to do that now.

Would be awesome if WWE just surprise call up Samoa Joe as the new man of Authority to take out Reigns.

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Cluster****. Story of wrestlemania. I'll post more when I get back to the hotel.

8. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

AT&T stadium was not prepared for that at all. I missed the whole pre show because the line to get down to the floor was a complete mess. They finally said f it and just let everyone in right around 6 because people were getting restless. Ran out of food on the floor, just a terribly planned event from the stadiums side.

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

No one cares about Rowan. And it's not like Bray lost a match against Rock.

Strowman against Rock and Cena...did you really expect him to be standing tall? iirc, the fam was thrown out one by one when Cena came down to "save" Rock; they never 3v1'd or 3v2'd in proper fashion.

By the way, where was Luke Harper? Is he injured?

10. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I'll wait till raw tomorrow to see what they'll do with Reigns. It's bad. But at least they're trying with him, regardless of how misguided it is. They're not even trying with other guys. Just placing them in a revolving door of redundant meaningless feuds with no payoff.

Jericho and AJ are gonna have another match most likely. Probably at extreme rules. They're tied at 2-2 atm. A "best of 5" a la Benoit-Booker seems to be what they're going for.

League of Nations pinned the wrong guy. So not sure if that was a botch or that'll be the story line to say "new day never lost" and put them against each other at the next ppv. League of boring.

Like you said, Ambrose wasn't even made to look good in the Brock match. Not sure where they'll go from here with him.

Bray isn't a threat to anyone anymore.
    Brock and him will probably feud I guess.

Orton is injured. Shane is leaving to go back to his business ventures.

There's no point to anything.
    Just insanely lame writing.

Watching the cheers in NXT and the boos in this mess are so contrasting. Sigh.

#3870 DudeWah, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  11. Juxtaposed Jolt

What's funny is, the buildup, in retrospect.

Shane blasts the current regime for bad ratings, bad products and bad business in general. Then Shane loses. Thus, we get more of same crap.

Lazy writing, indeed.

12. buffalobills!!!

Yes :(

13. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

My thoughts on WM (multiple spoilers for length):

US Title: Kalisto wins, yippee. :p Not impressed with his title reign at all (damn you booking team).

Divas Tag: Low expectations, better than I thought it would be. Got to see lots of Emma, Eva Marie's action wasn't as dreadful as I thought (I know I'm gonna get flamed for that; so be it). Knew that would be Brie's final in-ring moment, and knew she would get the W.

Usos/Dudleys: Wanted Dudleys to win; just bored with Usos. They're not bad at all, but I wanted heels to win this match. Just a meh-fest.

IC Title: Easily most exciting overall match tonight. Wanted Owens to win it; if not KO, then Sami. Ryder winning wasn't "out of left field", that was completely out of nowhere. I thought it would be Owens or Zayn all the way (wished it was 1-on-1). In matches like these (and MITB last year), I come to truly appreciate all the risks these athletes take and suffer for us as fans. Great spots all over; just a shame that the best match of the night IMO was so early.

AJ/Y2J: Really good considering it's AJ and Y2J. I strongly felt that AJ should have won this match and gone on to feud with someone else. They've fought 4 times, 2-2. If there is to be a 5th match, it needs to be very soon so this feud an end. I won't say "buried", but because AJ's primary success was from TNA, I wouldn't be shocked if that is why he lost last night when he truly needed that W to move up to another opponent and possibly be in a title picture.

New Day/LoN: Why have New Day lose??? They could have had a very special moment had they won (or even had Rock give them a strong rub completing a full-on face turn). The only way this would have been worse was if the tag titles were on the line. BTW: Shoutout to New Day for the Saiyan-themed entrance attire. Best part of the match/segment was when Rusev and Xavier sold those Stunners from Stone Cold (instant top 5 "Stunner sellers").

Street Fight: Nowhere near as good as I hoped for. Massively underwhelming especially there was no doubt that Brock would win. The "indestructable" build for Dean was all for nothing. Why have Foley and Funk give Dean their signature weapons if they weren't used at all? Very tame fight and not as good as it could have been.

Women's Title: Great match. Loved how Sasha wanted to honor Eddie, all she was missing was a lowrider entrance to the ring. I definitely wanted Sasha or Becky to win (especially Becky) because I felt it was time for a new champ, especially when the new belt was introduced. I know heels are to cheat, have interference, and play dirty, but this should have been the exception tonight. I think Charlotte winning was to setup a feud with Bayley after she lost to Asuka at TakeOver, who I think might show up on RAW tomorrow. The main reason I wanted Becky to win was because she would have numerous options on who to feud with immediately (either continue with Charlotte, start a new main roster feud with Sasha, or any of the other Women who wants a shot at the title). I fear now that if Bayley does show up tomorrow, then Becky is the odd-woman-out because Sasha will still be in contention in the foreseeable future.

Shane/Taker: Pretty good for what I expected. I loved how both used some submission moves. Shane was more "resilient and indestructable" than Dean was propped up to be; even more so because he was gone for 7 years. There were some slow moments due to their age, but no offense taken. Shane's elbow drop attempt was a thing of beauty; wish he would have converted. The only things I hated was the buildup for the match and the fact that it was fave/face match and both had something significant to lose. I would never want Taker to lose at WM (knowing that he would never compete at WM again, not on his own terms), but I did want Shane to win (as Jux mentioned earlier in this thread) because I am sick of the Authority angle and wish they were gone for good. The whole "instrument of change" was all for nothing. The fact the match was not announced as the main event was a foregone conclusion that Taker would win. Status Quo remains, and it simply sucks.

Andre Battle Royal: Pleasantly surprised to see an NXT guy win it in Corbin. All the injuries and having 5 extra guys in the IC Title match would have made this better. With the exception of Big Show last year, how many "big guys" or super heavyweights actually win these battle royal type matches? Despite their noted size advantage, they almost never win them (thankfully, I might add).

Rock/Wyatts/Cena: Great promo by Rock (as usual). Glad Wyatt was even on the show period and good mic work on his part. Issue 1: HATED that Rowan (or any wrestler, male or female) loses a WM match in less than a minute; hell, this was 6 seconds total. Issue 2: Seeing Strowman get dropped so easily annoyed me as well because of the fact that nobody on the main roster can rarely even get him off his feet. Issue 3: Creative. Had Wyatts taken down Rock when he was by himself (especially if there was never a match), that would have given Wyatts much needed heat that would have made them feel like a legit threat. After every Wyatt feud, it is so hard to take them seriously thanks to crappy booking; but nights like this are really demoralizing.

WWE Title: AWESOME entrance by HHH. Steph had them legs showing :grin: ;) Apparently WWE can now edit crowd noise during a live event, because I know from people who were there that the boos for Reigns entrance were worse than what we heard on TV or free streams online. Not a Reigns guy at all, and this "shoved down our throats" approach is a massive turn-off. Someone who gets massive boos as "next face of company" is a now 3-time champ in less than 6 months. Will this be another short reign, or will it be a long reign?

This WM wasn't as good overall as in the past (due to injuries) but the awful booking did not help, at all. I personally give this a 6.5/10

14. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

Expect Strowman to be standing tall, no. But when Cena's music hit, I knew the whole fam would be dealt with.

As for Harper, he got hurt about 2 weeks ago in a dark match. Feeling is that he tore his ACL and would be out 6-9 months.

15. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

^I think quite a bit of that review from nick was too forgiving, given how bad things really were.

This Wrestlemania was somewhere between a 4.5-5 due to a combination of horrible writing, bad booking, and an over-reliance on part timers/retired guys.

And yeah. They can mute the audience. They can even add in fake cheers (or amplify the ones there are, not sure which) now. They do it on smackdown all the time and definitely did it during that main event.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It would be great if WWE had one of those rare moments when they listen and switch things up. Like they did with Bryan years back.

Have Reigns come out to start the show, get the expected boos and then just have him go "F this and F you all." have him cut some wicked promo about how all he's done is work his tail off and for what? For boos? Blah blah blah, turn on the fans because they don't appreciate him. He can also just be completely against the Authority, just a badass out to destroy and win matches his own way. Like a Brock Lesner but there every single week.

They do this...THEN finally they can slow build to a Reigns - Cena WM match next year which I'm pretty sure is their big idea for next year any ways

It would make so much sense too since Cena can say to Reigns "I been where you are at but I never turned my back on them like you. I never gave up on them." Reigns can be bizarro Cena basically. I really don't know why they think we need TWO John Cena's.

Cena is cool because he's the wholesome super hero character and you can tell they think they could use the same exact formula with Reigns...but Cena can talk, Cena can put on great matches, and like you mentioned people liked Cena as he came up they just got tired of him basically burying the entire roster for what must have been a near decade now.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

That somehow managed to fail to meet my extremely low expectations.

Main event was predictably bad, Ambrose match tame, aj inexplicably loses. Women's match was good, and would be ok with Sasha chasing, but I have no confidence they will actually be able to maintain momentum.

Just more craps.

18. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Yeah I was having the same problem people were screaming and it was a hot mess... Then when I got to my seat I saw someone else and the same tickets as me so we all went down to the ticket master people and it turns out I had been sold counterfeit tickets.(**** Robert from Craigslist) Luckily the people were super cool about it and gave us tickets to a section close by.

The show was awesome I thought. I mean obviously the main event was what it was but there were plenty of WM moments including a bad ass div.... WOMENS MATCH!!! only thing is it seemed like there were not very many baby face wins which was weird since I thought they would know people were gonnna crap on Reigns. It was so bad me and my sister were trying our hardest to cheer for Roman just out of pity and trying to not ruin a perfectly fine match.

Here is a vid of my view of Shane jumping off the cell If anyone is interested... I also have some pics I was going to show but idk what the best way to do that is.

[youtube]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/l0q2D8trCCc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/YouTube]

19. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

So glad I decided not too go for WM.

The IC Title match was def the best match of the show.

HIAC was great but I thought Shane winning was the best thing going forward.
    Women's triple threat was really good, Ric being a part of the finish is stupid. Get him off TV already. Lesnar & Ambrose was good but should have been a lot better. Styles/Jericho have the best fued of 2016 with probably a deciding match at the next PPV.

For sure one of the worst WM's.

20. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

That was terrible, nothing happened.

Ryder wins the IC title for the sake of "unpredictablity".

Vince once again has to assert WWE's dominance as the top brand, not allowing a new face to beat an aging part-timer.

Charlotte retains, at least the division rebrand is cool.

Lesnar squashes another opponent, Ambrose loses another big match. A "street fight" that took place entirely in the ring.

The battle royal was full of jobbers and Baron Corbin, who didn't see him winning?

Shane vs Taker was pretty spotty (props to Shane). They tease a big shift in the makeup of WWE, but again don't pull the trigger. Authority 4 LYFE!

The Rock comes out, makes a pointless promo, only to be interrupted by the Wyatt Family (finally something is happening). WHAT? Impromptu Rock vs. Bray Wyatt??? YES! Oh, wait, this is WWE, nope, let's just have Rock beat Rowan in 6 seconds cuz that's what the fans wanna see. Oh, yeah then let's have Cena come out and make it EVEN BETTER.

Finally, the anti-Wrestlemania 30 main event. Reigns is seriously the anti-Bryan.

I'm really glad I didn't pay for that.