1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard is being phased out of the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Vindicator, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Vindicator

Vindicator Rookie

[youtube]8ZK5AgvBJnM[/youtube]

"Dwight Howard has become a VCR repair shop"

1 person likes this.
  2. IndianPlaya

IndianPlaya Contributing Member

Spot on analysis IMO.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

awesome April Fools Day post!! you really had me going there for a while.

4. Ngadban389

Ngadban389 Member

Going to have to disagree with the premise of this thread. The game hasn't moved away from big men.

The issue is not that Dwight Howard cannot hit a jumper. The issue is that his post moves aren't the strongest for someone playing at the 5. He is fair at best and relies heavily on his athleticism for his dominance which is declining.

The post up game and inside out game isn't dead. Not that long ago, someone had floated a video of the increased efficacy of the three point shot when the ball comes from the inside out, rather than being swung about the perimeter because the orientation of the shooter is already set up paving the way for a much higher percentage shot.

The problem with Dwight is that the ball once in his hands becomes a black hole, never to come out with post-moves that sometimes work, but a lot of times don't. If he actually passed out, it would make things easier for our shooters as he commands a presence on the inside pulling those defenders away.

5. heads.up

heads.up Member

To add, a big man like Dwight is definitely not being phased out - look at Deandre Jordan and Andre Drummond. Dwight was just too reliant on his athleticism and now that it is waning he can't contribute much anymore. He can't grab boards or move as fluid on defense, he also can't get enough separation nor enough vertical clearance on his jump hooks like he used to. Sad really that he was not able to develop any skills over his long career.

6. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

He was avg like 18/12 the past like 20 games before the first Chicago
    Idk what has happened after that.

7. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Dwight's being ISO'd by progress and versatility!

8. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Title should be "NBA phasing out Non fundamentally sound basketball players" then I would agree 100%.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

While you are both correct, I think Cowherd is as well. Versatile, efficient, offensive bigs that you can go to, to get a point, obviously still have a place. I mean, I think a guy like Towns, for example, is amazing and as much the future as Damian Lillard types.

THAT SAID, those guys, to the extent they still have a place, its because they can hit a mid range jumper and space the floor as well as have some semblance of a post up game. The post up only game... and for an example of that I'd actually look at DMo, a guy who has an ok 3 and mid range shot, but you don't really want dribbling off of those spots and doesn't excel there, but is really super crafty in the post ... well the post up only game isn't as "scary" anymore. Reasons?

- in today's rules, it's hard to get the ball into the post.
    - in today's rules, it's easier to do things like soft double and good defenses are much more adept at picking and choosing when to double or show or where to rotate from, etc.
    - bigs are, generally, less efficient from the line
    - There are simply "less moves" of post play...

Meaning, while it is true if you can pass it into a big and he is so efficient he requires regular double-teaming that that can be very good still in today's NBA, it simply still isn't as good from an efficiency standpoint as that same big getting a wide open layup or dunk of a guard created pick and roll, or as good as a high 30%'s three point shot (I think 37.5% from three is equivalent to 56% from two, which IS of course a really good % from the post if you exclude the dunks, layups those big men don't create themselves)

As for DeAndre Jordan, or Andre Drummond... yeah, those guys have value... but in a capped world, its a matter of asset allocation. If all GMs start from scratch, and you take todays universe of players, except you make Dwight prime Orlando Dwight, how many players are picked before that prime Orlando Dwight? I'd argue still A LOT. Bron, Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Curry, CP3, Kwahi, AD, healthy Blake, etc.

1 person likes this.
  10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Why couldn't they phase Shaq out? Sucks that they wait until the Yao's and Howard's of the NBA start playing for the Rockets, while the Lakers Elite are untouchable.

11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This is what I've been saying for months now, people call me a hater but it's true. Like I've said look at the playoffs teams and tell me who you would consider a better center than Dwight. You no longer need an all star center. Al you need is a guy who can defend well and run the floor. Decent free throw is a plus. Otherwise you get a power forward who can shoot and defend well and you put him in that spot unless you face a team where you need more defense and you put in that center.

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Can JB and Brewer be phased out too?? :)

13. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

No Free Throws, No Shootings, and even if the league were a back to the basket league he barely has a post up game. Teams no longer care about being in the penalty so they will foul the **** out of you if you can't shoot free throws. He can be taken out of the game anytime he becomes too much trouble for the other team and it's his own fault. You should have improve some aspect of your game by now it's not everyone else's fault it's yours.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The game is evolving rapidly enough to make the true center position obsolete. The Warriors model will be copied until every team has a small ball lineup and big men will only be used as utility players to set screens.

All of your children will start practicing shooting 35 footers in their backyards to be the next Steph Curry. Post-up game will become irrelevant.

This is your new NBA.

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Dwight is phased out by his own team. 3-4 touches a game.

16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Hopefully soon. Im hope they both go back to minnie so minnie doesn't get better, lol.

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

True as well. I'll be interested how he looks next season with a new system.

18. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lolol, that'd be great

19. Garner

Garner Member

his pending $100Million contract would like to disagree

20. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Wow ok...I got this video bookmarked. I feel Vindicated! Thx Vindicator =)