1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Man builds 'Scarlett Johansson' robot from scratch to 'fulfil childhood dream'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

Man builds 'Scarlett Johansson' robot from scratch to 'fulfil childhood dream' - and it's scarily lifelike..

<iframe src='//players.brightcove.net/4221396001/60716998-ff67-4298-8bd7-2162e15a858d_default/index.html?videoId=4826194335001' allowfullscreen frameborder=0></iframe>

A humanoid obsessive has built an incredibly realistic female robot from scratch - and it's got more than a passing resemblance to Avengers star Scarlett Johansson.

Ricky Ma, a 42-year-old product and graphic designer, has spent more than $50,000 (£34,000) and a year and a half creating the female robot prototype, Mark 1.

The designer confirmed the scarily lifelike humanoid had been modelled on a Hollywood star, but wanted to keep her name under wraps.

It responds to a set of programmed verbal commands spoken into a microphone and has moving facial expressions, but Ricky says creating it wasn't easy.

He said he was not aware of anyone else in Hong Kong building humanoid robots as a hobby and that few in the city understood his ambition.

<iframe src='//players.brightcove.net/4221396001/60716998-ff67-4298-8bd7-2162e15a858d_default/index.html?videoId=4826194335001' allowfullscreen frameborder=0></iframe>
    A humanoid obsessive has built an incredibly realistic female robot from scratch - and it's got more than a passing resemblance to Avengers star Scarlett Johansson.

Ricky Ma, a 42-year-old product and graphic designer, has spent more than $50,000 (£34,000) and a year and a half creating the female robot prototype, Mark 1.

The designer confirmed the scarily lifelike humanoid had been modelled on a Hollywood star, but wanted to keep her name under wraps.

It responds to a set of programmed verbal commands spoken into a microphone and has moving facial expressions, but Ricky says creating it wasn't easy.

He said he was not aware of anyone else in Hong Kong building humanoid robots as a hobby and that few in the city understood his ambition.

[​IMG]

Sex robots could trend in 2016
    Ricky said: "When I was a child, I liked robots. Why? Because I liked watching animation. All children loved it. There were Transformers, cartoons about robots fighting each other and games about robots.

"After I grew up, I wanted to make one. But during this process, a lot of people would say things like, 'Are you stupid? This takes a lot of money. Do you even know how to do it? It's really hard'."

Ricky Ma has dreamed of designing a humanoid since he was little after becoming obsessed with robots and animation

Read more: Makers of sex robot with virtual vagina swamped with orders

Romance and robots

Sex dolls 'better than one night stands'

Shocking schoolgirl 'sex robot' on sale

Scarecrow sex dolls

Sex robots could trend in 2016
    Ricky said: "When I was a child, I liked robots. Why? Because I liked watching animation. All children loved it. There were Transformers, cartoons about robots fighting each other and games about robots.

"After I grew up, I wanted to make one. But during this process, a lot of people would say things like, 'Are you stupid? This takes a lot of money. Do you even know how to do it? It's really hard'."

Besides movements of its arms and legs, turning its head and bowing, Ma's robot, with blonde hair and hazel eyes can form detailed facial expressions.

[​IMG]

In response to the compliment, "Mark 1, you are so beautiful", the robot bows as the 'muscles' around its eyes relax and corners of its lips lift, forming a smile.

It then replies: "Hehe, thank you."

A 3D-printed skeleton lies beneath Mark 1's silicone skin, covering its mechanical and electronic interior.

Read more: Robots 'to take 50% of our jobs by 2050 and outperform humans

About 70% of its body was created using 3D printing technology.

Creating the robot, Ma adopted a trial-and-error method in which he encountered obstacles ranging from burned-out motors to the robot losing its balance.

"When I started building it, I realised it would involve dynamics, electromechanics and programming. I have never studied programming, how was I supposed to code?

"Additionally, I needed to build 3D models for all the parts inside the robot. Also, I had to make sure the robot's external skin and its internal parts could fit together. When you look at everything together, it was really difficult," said Ma.

[​IMG]

But with Mark 1 standing behind him, Ma said he had no regrets.

"I figured I should just do it when the timing is right and realise my dream. If I realise my dream, I will have no regrets in life," he said.

Ma, who believes the importance of robots will grow, hopes an investor will buy his prototype, giving him the capital to build more.

He wants to write a book about his experience to help other enthusiasts.

The rise of robots is among disruptive labour market changes that the World Economic Forum warns will lead to a net loss of 5.1 million jobs over the next five years.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Name that Clutchfans poster! (The inventor, that is... or maybe either one.)

3. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

that wink is pretty disconcerting

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Tinman would've built a Dream bot.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Dream Ryubot. The ultimate player-fighter.

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Ushers in the age of Robo-Erotica

That face on a robot is the best yet.

What does the line of customers look like for the sex model pre-orders?

Strangely, all the men who were in line for the Tesla are now in these lines. :eek:

7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

8. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

very cool, i wonder if he can make me one. i could use her to charge my tesla model three on the go and for the hov lane

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Didn't even have to click the thread to know it was an asian guy.

11. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

This the nerd you want to be..

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rLy-AwdCOmI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

No thanks.

I could get a lot of hookers for $50,000

14. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Cant blame him. I want one (hope my Wife doesn't mind)

15. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

And alot of STD treatment too.....

16. Dei

Dei Member

What the fu...
    >Asian
    Oh ok.

17. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

You guys know what day yesterday was, right?

18. PhiSlammaJamma

I am interested in the Pillsbury Pop and Fresh Elizabeth Hurley. You just bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

19. conquistador#11

amateurs.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Jm-upHSP9KU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

From the first photo i thought it looked more like Kristen Stewart... Anyways that is sone next level waste of time... And I didn't read the article. Is this a sex robot?