1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

50% of Americans, and 80% of likely GOP primary voters, now support the Trump ban on Muslims

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Northside Storm, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

https://theintercept.com/2016/03/30...upport-trumps-proposed-muslim-ban-poll-shows/

distressing, to say the least. and not that surprising. de facto surveillance, at the very least, was happening anyways.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/mar/27/american-muslim-surveillance-the-emotional-toll
    Constitutional rights--for some.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Why can't intelligence be as contagious as stupidity?

1 person likes this.
  3. val_modus

val_modus Member

Looks like Bill Maher's prediction that Trump would be a guaranteed win for the presidency if we had an increase in terrorist attacks before the election, or even worse, a domestic terrorist attack right before the general. Disheartening, but demagoguery connects stronger to the general populace, especially when most of that populace consists of low information, dim witted, addled voters..

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

Good, maybe he'll modernize the backwardness of Muslim countries by applying pressure to them.

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

If I were American, I would be strongly opposed to this.

However, the left is to blame for this as much as Trump is.

People are tired of statements such as the ones repeated mantra-like by Obama and Hillary Clinton that "this has nothing to do with Islam" after each latest terror attack. Shouting down people who point out the danger of the ideology and the fact that there are a lot more people supporting very radical ideas (such as death penalty for gays and apostates, subjugation of women, etc.) than politicians would like you to know only leads to excessive positions like the one represented by Trump to gain widespread support.

It's an overshooting counter-reaction to the left's attempts at silencing legitimate concerns.

I am afraid of the same thing happening in Europe, where dangerous people such as Marine Le Pen gain a stronger following because of the failings of people like Hollande.

1 person likes this.
  6. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Democrats and independents are the only barrier against these policies being implemented in America. You can assign blame if you want--that simple fact remains.

7. bongman

bongman Member

HUH? PersonX says tomatoes are fruits. PersonY says tomatoes are veggies. PersonX is at fault because folks are tired of hearing that they are fruits. What universe is this logic reasonable?

8. Exiled

Exiled Member

i always wanted a cool name like Anglino Julio, thanks Trump .

9. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

You know, once upon a time, conservatives were into this thing called accountability.

The American right is responsible for it's own xenophobia. Pointing the finger at some politician because he/she won't say "it's Islam's fault!!", and surmise that it's that person's fault that xenophobes are falling in line behind a blatantly unamerican, unconstitutional policy is bull****.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Maybe through a biological lens, tomatoes are fruits, but through a culinary lens they are vegetables. We prepare and eat them like vegetables, not like fruits. I'm tired of people thinking dogmatically about the biology and insisting 'fruit' is the only right answer. To a diner, they are vegetables.

11. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

George W. Bush said it after 9/11 and continues to say it. It's not the left being overly PC as much as it is politicians making clear that collective punishment and labeling all adherents of the faith as enemies of the state is not acceptable. I supported Bush for saying then, and I support Clinton and Sanders saying it now.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to criticize religion, especially when followers of of a major sect (Wahabi) are openly hostile to every facet of modernity. There should be no shame in denouncing totalitarianism, and doing so is more important than any other ideological concern. Where the Left fails is when they give comfort to the Islamist notion that religion can't be criticized, especially when that religion is Islam. It sure as hell can, and as thinking people we shouldn't be "disallowed" or shamed for criticizing anything.

Had more people been critical of the Catholic Church's collusion with Hitler, Mussolini, and Franco, the better to have been on the right side of history. It doesn't mean my Italian grandmother or Joe Kennedy or any other Roman Catholic were Falangists.

12. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

As for Jean Marie and Marrine Le Pen, and those of that ilk, when they are the only ones willing to be critical, it's only a matter of time before people vote in people to office who would in turn make it illicit to criticize their religion.

13. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

I bet Europe wished they thought of this 15 years ago. Too late now.

14. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Germany already did something similar to this 85 years ago genius.

1 person likes this.
  15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Two words for the OP:

Thanks, Obama

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the Islamophobes like ATW like to invent this narrative that the left shouts them down, is unwilling to criticize backwardness, and are somehow forgiving of militant Islamic extremists.

Islam deserves criticism, and Islamic culture need reform. I think sensible people just don't want to group the good Muslims who are indeed peaceful in with the bad, and that's what people like Trump do when they call for a ban on all Muslims or Cruz when they want to spy on Muslims.

We have to find ways to fight militant Islamic radicalism, not all Muslims.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Folks have Terrorphobia NOT Islamaphobia.

People say, hey don't label all Muslims and then proceed to label all of those folks Islamaphobes. Pot kettle black...

Liberal hypocrisy at it's finest.

1 person likes this.
  18. bongman

bongman Member

Not sure if you missed the point that I was trying to make.

1 person likes this.
  19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Be honest. You don't want intelligence, you want people to think like you do.

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

You are more likely to be killed by right wing christian terrorist in the US.

But laws banning by religion will never stand up to court tests.