1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We should target Hassan Whiteside as the second max

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketjunkie, Mar 28, 2016.

1. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Given the very obvious divorce that is going to occur between the Rockets and Dwight at the end of the year, we will have around 2 max slots to be used on targeting free agents. Our top choice for most is probably the combination of Durant and Horford. However, given relative age, and whether or not we get Durant (and particularly if we don't get Horford), I would almost prefer chasing Whiteside in free agency. He is clearly getting a max this summer, and is probably the defensive, rebounding, blocking machine we hope Dwight still is, except he is still young. We could then go over the cap to match DMO, who would be a good fit next to Whiteside I think.

I would prefer we go after him as soon as possible so that Miami doesn't have the ability to reach a deal with Dwayne Wade in time to free up cap space. Assuming we're reserving a slot for Durant, what would it take to free up cap space for Whiteside, and can someone outline the challenges that Miami has in signing him? I'm starting to read articles where they could resign him to the max as long as they get Wade on board relatively quickly for under $20MM (although they would lose a player like Deng and possibly Joe Johnson). Can someone help with the cap space math (paging Bima!). I tried to bump the Bima thread but couldn't find it.

I don't think we'll get Conley, and frankly I'd prefer Whiteside.

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

So you're saying:

Bev
    Harden
    Durant
    DMo
    Whiteside

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm not sure how I feel about Whiteside, especially at max, especially in today's NBA... where a guy like Whiteside clearly has a ton of value... but also where a guy like Whiteside doesn't seem necessary anymore.

Also... Wade taking more paycuts? Hard to see it... but maybe...

4. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

We would be keeping Beasley bc we have him for next year at 1.4M. Also, I would prefer to keep Trevor and instead trade Brewer + (hopefully) small asset to get cap space. Given that so many teams will have cap space, the cost of buying cap space should be smaller next year. If we can carve up space for bringing Llull over, that would be ideal. So rotation wise:

Bev/LLull/Goudelock
    Harden
    Durant/Ariza/KJ
    DMo/Beasley/Durant/Ariza
    Whiteside/Capela

Use MLE for SG or another big and shooters who actually can shoot. There's a lot of flexibility with that team. With a good defensive minded coach, that team could defend and play good offense.

5. bmd

bmd Member

"What would the Spurs do?"

They wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole.

I think there is something to the thinking that a player's character matters. The Warriors and Spurs don't have players with these character issues.

6. StrawberryJamm

We should target Bradley Beal as the 2nd or 1st max and start him at PG next to Harden if the Wizards can't match. The Rockets need to embrace and except what they have in James and the direction the leagues going and adapt.

I've seen enough of us trying to fit a traditional PG with this team, We play better with shooters and being able to switch everything. Jason Terry worked next to Harden, please tell me about his PG qualities and defence on opposing PG's. Imagine Beal taking all of Terry and Brewers minutes.

7. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

White his rebounding and shotblocking and the 30% increase in the cap followed by another similar increase the following year, he is definitely getting the max (and worth it). I've read that is around $22M. I believe Durant's is around $26M?

I don't want Wade to take a paycut either, but he's not getting $30M next year - that would be Kobesque to the Heat's cap situation.

As for Miami, I believe that taking into account salaries for Bosh, Dragic, McRoberts, Winslow and Richardson, and cap holds, Miami would have about $40MM in cap space. If they could trade McRoberts (asset included), they could be up to $46MM I think. If they traded Dragic, they would have plenty (not sure they want to do that). If they're not traded, then Miami has about $40MM to spread around to Wade, Whiteside, Deng and Johnson. If Whiteside gets $22M, then they have $18MM left for the other 3. They'd have to give up Deng and Johnson and talk Wade into accepting around $16-20M, depending on what other trades they can do to free up space. Is my thinking correct? I think Wade would do that neighborhood, if he could get more years. They could trade Deng for assets and cap space too. I'd rather do that if I were Miami then let Whiteside leave.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

no thanks to whiteside. I still believe he's going to handcuff whatever team decides to throw him a ton of money next year. And they will regret it really soon

9. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

The spurs would take him if they could afford him and turn him into a spurs citizen and rule the NBA if they took him. If Durant and Harden were on the team, I think he would fall in line. And if not, I'm sure you could trade him. I just think we need a good defensive big. It would allow us to play Beasely more at the 4 too when you have someone covering up for others.

10. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

I'm not sure I buy Beal. I am not convinced of his defense (maybe I'm wrong), and he and Wall together still can't seem to do much with the Wiz in the east.

11. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

You guys see Whiteside developing some type of jumper??

Why can't Dwight Howard do this.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hassan Whiteside is the 9th player since 1973 to post 3.5+ BPG and 13+ PPG in a season <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Heat?src=hash">#Heat</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/MiamiHEAT">@MiamiHEAT</a> <a href="https://t.co/VzuPdK398I">pic.twitter.com/VzuPdK398I</a></p>&mdash; Basketball Reference (@bball_ref) <a href="https://twitter.com/bball_ref/status/712731967394066434">March 23, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Players to average at least<br> 14 PPG, 12 RPG, &amp; 4 BPG: <br><br>Hakeem - 3x<br>Kareem - 1x<br>David Robinson - 1x<br>Hassan Whiteside - (this season)</p>&mdash; BALL UP NBA (@BallUpNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/BallUpNBA/status/714258785443905536">March 28, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

No more low iq players

14. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Horford>>> whiteside.

Horford would make Harden even better.

15. valorita

valorita Member

Character.
    Got some?

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Flat out, I just don't trust Whiteside after he gets that MAX contract. Will he stay motivated? Just really worried about that. I would pass.

Would much rather pay that max money to a reliable player like Al Horford if possible.

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Let's do it.

Whiteside, Cousins, Rondo, Harden, Beasley, Smith, Lawson, Chris Andersen.

The all professional team.

18. anchel

anchel Member

We can use papi Ariza to bring Alfonso Horford. Whiteside is not starting for some reason. No doubt he's a winning impact player, an elite rim protector, but he's far from elite defending outside, defending p&r's, rotating. He basically stays in the paint the whole possesion. DeAndre Jordan has more daily impact at the defensive end.

19. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

is Horford really worth the max? I mean... he is gonna be 30 by the time he signs.

20. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Whiteside leads to downside.