1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Batman and Superman movie for 2015

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mrm32, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Thank you if you expect a warm and fuzzy movie you know nothing about Batman

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I think it's hit or miss and the hit will be with DC comic lovers. Folks that know the history.

Marvel does a good job entertaining the folks who have never read any comic books. I give this movie credit for that. They made a movie for comic lovers. They finally had the balls to do it.

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

That is in reference to what? And...obviously I have the question is have you?

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Um, yeah no not really. As I stated I'm more than comfortable turning my head for movie logic, but the movie blatantly disregarded logic way too many times. Anywho, glad you enjoyed it. Moving on.

5. Caesar

Caesar Member

I get that it is a comic book brought to live action but the artsy fartsy style brings it way down.

6. Outlier

Outlier Member

Sorry, but this movie has a solid 7.5 (which is how i would rate it)on imdb from 133k reviewers. We are not in the minority here. You are and these dumb critics.

7. Outlier

Outlier Member

Fair enough. My previous post was for Jones, btw.

8. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Sorry, but it had a rating of about 100% for weeks before it opened. An enormous number of those positive reviews were from people that scored it 100% but had not seen it because it wasn't out yet. It will take a long time before enough responses come in post-opening that we can get an accurate read on the fan response. The "solid" 7.5 is an outlier, Outlier.

1 person likes this.
  9. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Seclusion's reply was "fair enough" but mine wasn't? Who else here has been collecting Batman, Superman, and JL for more than 40 years straight?

10. mrm32

mrm32 Member

[​IMG]

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

There is a predictably biased fanbase for movies like this, leading to inflated IMDb ratings. I don't have much faith in these people to objectively rate a movie like this.

I saw it yesterday. Some bits were interesting -- I liked the new take on batman. But I was confused by a lot of it. Seemed to me like there was some filler scenes that didn't really fit, and the way Lex Luthor was portrayed made no sense to me. Wonderwoman didn't seem to have anything to do or say for the most part.

The movie didn't really move me emotionally. No humor, no real suspense, nothing extraordinary in terms of effects, and no characters that really grab your attention either. I haven't had high expectations for this movie at really any stage of the production, so I'm not particularly surprised or bummed by this. I'd probably give it a 5/10 or 5.5/10.

12. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

My biggest compliant is they spent way to much time on the batman origin story.. Like literally everybody knows Batman's parents got killed and that's why he does what he does. About 1 and a half of the movie could have been cut and it would have told the same story.

It was a Very long movie and then they spend the last ten minutes talking about superman being dead when anybody with half a brain knows that they aren't killing superman off.

But it did the job it was supposed to do... Make a ton of money and set up five more movies.

Overall I'd give it like a 6 out of 10

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

First Hour of the movie was crap
    I mean they have vinettes including white screens between each

only cursorily connected

Rocket River

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

I haven't seen BvS yet, but how was WW's intro? I heard she doesn't do or say much in it, which basically means that super casual fans still don't know what WW is all about.

An example of what DC could do with WW, is Iron Man. Before the movie, I didn't really know who Iron Man or what his story was all about. And Iron Man didn't need a vehicle like The Avengers to first introduce him to audiences.

Wonder Woman, imo, is a big enough name to carry her own movie without needing an introduction within a team. Wasp, Captain Marvel, Spider-Woman...these characters need some context first, I agree. Not WW though.

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I just want to add my street cred here. Although I could not be bothered to watch the movie yet, I did buy The Long Halloween (Absolute version) 6 months ago. One day I will read it.

16. mrm32

mrm32 Member

One of my favorite comics. Great read and influence to Nolan's Batman movies.

17. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Her intro felt like catwoman in the dark knight series if that makes sense... She is seen and there are a few back and forths than she pops up for the big ending.
    The only glimpse of her past is a photo of her with what seams to be some type of Indian tribe in what appeared to be the 19th century.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I didn't grow up a DC fan but I grew up enjoying the cartoons. I also like reading the Lantern reboot comics that translated horribly into film... Two things about this:

1) Marvel films work because they capture why people liked the comics and don't let themselves fall in too deeply with art style/direction and meta-analysis. If you want to see gritty marvel characters, the Netflix series are on fire because they're allowed 13 hours to draw deeper on characters we've only had the patience to watch for 90 minues.

2) The idea that Superman and Batman don't kill might be a cartoonish fantasy, but Superman being casual with the idea of killing and (an even jaded) Batman using guns or using eye vs eye violence ruins the deeper core behind their characters... Especially because they bothered to replay and emphasize the death of Wayne's parents.

There's some symmetry for Batman regaining hope and not branding Luther, but this is the same Luther who knows and actively tracked the identities of the Justice League, let alone Wayne and Kent. If anyone's on the top of the Pragmatic Kill list, it'd be syphillitic aspergery Luther.

I've been wrapping my mind about what Luther's endgame would actually be. Even if you discount the Joker-eque act of creating Doomsday as a happy kitchen sink bonus, was his original gaol to put all eggs in the basket for getting Batman to kill Superman? Where does that vote of confidence for Wayne come from other than for Luther to brag on screen about some weird symbolic Man V God deathmatch?

Why didn't he just plan B the whole thing and nuke them both with a Kryptonite laced nuke* he surreptitiously strong-armed a politician or two to provide assembly and access?

Are you telling me Luther spent 18+ months with bated breath for Mayweather V Pacquiao with no real rhyme or reason?

The other plot hole was having the "super powered" folders to appear on the honeypot database Luther used to guide Wayne to the cargo ship. Right...where's the folder labled ""I know Bruce Wayne is Batman and I'm leading him by the nose for the past year so that I could get him to kill Superman" masterplan"?

*That Bizarro looking Superman was the creepiest looking thing. Superman is pretty much an immortal solar powered zombie.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The movie was kind of garbage IMO.

A few things I didn't like

Jesse Eisenberg
    He could have worked as Lex Luthor, but the character they had him play was basically a mix between Lex Luthor and the Heath Ledger's Joker, with the emphasis more on the Joker than Luthor, which is stupid. Basically his character is supposed to be "Lawful Evil" and they had him playing "Chaotic Evil". His plan, if you want to call it that, would result only in watching the world burn.....a character like Lex Luthor wouldn't have any interest in that....he wants to rule, not destroy. There wasn't any way he could profit from his actions in this film, and there's ALWAYS a way Lex Luthor can profit from his schemes.

The scene where
    Batman was about to kill Superman, but he has a change of heart due to the fact that Superman's mom has the same name....that's just dumb. So you're telling me he had no problem with the idea of murdering Superman one second, but heard the name "Martha" and thought, oh damn, I can't kill this alien that could destroy the planet if he wanted to? BS.

Just like the rule we learned from The Departed, once the weird booties are on the shoes
    [​IMG]

and you have the gloves on and the gun is in your hand,
    [​IMG]

you're not talking your way out of that.

I feel like they could have made a good movie out of the sort of loose idea they had, but it just didn't happen. Surprisingly IMO Affleck worked as Batman which was something I thought would doom the movie....turns out that was one of the few bright spots. There was just such a loose plot nothing was going to make this movie any good, it needed a full re-write and probably a different director.

Also, they totally did what should have been an after the credits scene during the middle of the movie.

For those who haven't seen it, I wouldn't waste full theater prices on it, wait till it is on Netflix or Redbox if you ever want to catch it. Despite what Rotten Tomatoes says, it's not worse than the Daredevil movie, but that's probably the nicest thing you can say about it.

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It was good, she was Dianna Prince for the bulk of the movie and her motivations aren't really explained. However, they did drop some easter eggs in priming us for her intro movie next year. Her intro as WW was a little deflated due to seeing some of the climactic scene in spoilers. I think DC really screwed up showing us Doomsday and WW in action in the trailer.