1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015/2016 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rox1, Jun 17, 2015.

1. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

3. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Absolutely devastated - was out when I heard the news and had to find somewhere to sit and reflect. I knew he was ill but as recently as a couple of weeks ago he said he was responding well to treatment. I was surprised by just how sad I felt about someone I'd never met or even saw play live - it's never happened to me before.

The thing is, this guy was a living legend. It's difficult to exaggerate just how much of a cultural impact Cruyff had. Compare him to some of the greats of Dutch history: Rembrandt, van Gogh, Erasmus, heck even William of Orange. Considering the importance of football in world culture and the way in which he approached and changed the game, his name fits in that bracket without question.

He put Ajax and Holland on the map playing brilliant football, disrupted Madrid's hegemony when he joined Barcelona, an absolute world class player. His acceleration, creativity, technique, wonderful. Three ballon d'or awards, three European Cups, and a World Cup final that the Dutch should have won.

But it was how he influenced everyone else that really set him apart from others. He was a manager/director on the pitch as well as a brilliant individual player. To me that's what makes him unique when compared to arguably superior talents such as Messi or Ronaldo.

Perhaps more impressive, however, was how he reached such a high level as a manager. Di Stefano, Pele, Maradona, Platini, none managed to eclipse their achievements as a player. As a sum of player + trainer, there's not a single person in history that can come close to what he achieved. He completely transformed how Barcelona (and Spain) approach the game of football. Instead of looking at physique, Cruyff made it about skill and technique. La Masia as we know it was born from his vision and influence. I grew up watching the original Dream Team and the imprint of his vision was on every subtle switch of position, every pass, every exquisite goal.

When greats such as Guardiola, Stoichkov, Iniesta, and Xavi talk about Johan's importance as the man who started the revolution, they're not just paying lip service. When you next watch the dazzling displays of Barcelona, the brilliant possession football of Bayern, the attacking football that makes up the very reason we love the game, think of Cruyff.

RIP Johan.

4 people like this.
  4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Nice post, Ace.

Back to business: Bayern apparently loaning Benatia to Juve and then giving them a 22mil buying option. Had high hopes for him, but has been extremely disappointing with his performances and constant injuries.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

RIP in hindsight (was too busy)

Trifon Ivanov - stoutly defender of Bulgaria and surely recognizable face and infamous beard before Harden got his

[​IMG]

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

As a Bayern fan, I still feel a bit bad about what Bayern did to Cruyff in his farewell game.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm not too well acquainted with football during that era. What happened? I thought he was a barca player?

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/jun/22/least-successful-testimonial-match-ever

The crowd had been very hostile to the Bayern team - calling them Nazis, etc. So Bayern, led by Paul Breitner, decided to get them back...Ajax did try, but...

1 person likes this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

(from the previous year's thread)

Fair to say that I totally disagree with this assessment...

10. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Oh, we love him dearly. His influences as a player, manager, and mentor are undeniable. Next game is El Clasico, I'm sure there's something planned for him during that game.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Lewandowski nearing contract extension til 2021, good news. We now have long-term contracts for every important player, great to have such stability.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

For my German brehs, what's this with Sky Sports reporting that Liverpool is interested in Gotze, even saying that he is "heavily linked" to LFC? Then a local LFC news website is getting a little crazy saying that Gotze is "keen" on joining his ex-boss.
    link: Sky Sports
    link: Liverpool Echo

What is the word in Germany and Bayern in general? I normally don't get excited about these types of rumors, especially from the local media in Liverpool. But if Sky Sports is reporting it, then there has to be some weight into this ya?

13. The Stig

The Stig Member

My guess is that Ancelotti decides what he wants to do with Gotze before jettisoning him off to the Merseyside. Don't think anything is concrete yet, but it's starting to build some momentum.

Where is Gotze going to line up for Liverpool? Left, replacing Lallana?

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Götze is a 10, in my opinion, not a winger.

15. The Stig

The Stig Member

That's where I'm confused at why Liverpool would want him. Firmino/Coutinho has that #10 position on lockdown. Why need Gotze?

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Götze is better. Firminho can play on the wing as well.

I am still convinced that Götze is the greatest talent we have had in the last 30 years. Better than Özil, too. Once he gets the coach's trust and is healthy for a while, he'll show it again, like he did when he was at Dortmund.

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

Maybe one of Firmino/Cou is inevitably getting picked by one of the Spanish giants and JK is preparing for that? I've read somewhere that one of the 2 Spanish teams are interested in Cou in the past.

If Stouridge and Benteke is gone in the summer, would starting Firmino, Cou, and Gotze work? That's like the old Sun's ultra fast small ball, cept no aerial threat.

Maybe this is a mauri move, where the Gotze rumors are just a smokescreen for somebody else.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Props to Tizzle for calling early that Coman was going to be a star.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FuE9vtfSQvI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is how I score most of my goals on FIFA 14 on the iPad...

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I would rather we go ultra fast small ball considering how poor we are at crossing into the box anyway.

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Saw that, Payet's goal was insane as well.

Breeeh, still hyped we got Coman for peanuts. Guy had all the talent in the world and Juve sold him because they don't use real wingers in their system. He only played a few games for Juve, but even in those you could see that the guy has world-class talent, absolutely mind-boggling to sell the guy for <30mil when you look at the transfer market. When you have that kind of prospect, you damn sure adjust the system and stop being stubborn. A Dybala & Coman wing would've been top 5 in Europe.