1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on Harden not giving up the ball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Mar 25, 2016.

1. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Harden is averaging more assists than HaKeem ever has exactly how is he not giving the ball up for threes.

2. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Not one thing otmax says in this thread makes any sense at all. So the person who is 7th in the league in assists higher than most point guards. 9.5 assists per game this month is selfish? Lol he is also on a team that shoots the most threes but doesn't pass for threes like Hakeem, lol. Harlem btw had way better shooters around him.

3. jdjd

jdjd Member

While I realize you say this in jest, there may actually be some truth to this. It appears Harden is now more of a brand that an actual player. His beard is his look, but it also makes him a moving target for refs and media critics. If he was to cut his beard, maybe just maybe he would gain some credibility with the refs and media and they could see him as just another player. I've NEVER heard so much talk about one persons defense from ESPN than Harden, and I have to say the jealousy of his personal life and who he's doing if just beyond belief. The opposite of Curry who is the clean shaven apple pie of the league that can never do any wrong.

4. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Lot of hate here based on nothing. It's about trust. You have to trust your teammates and get others involved, which Harden always does except when things get tight and late in the 4th of a close game. I never said he is selfish so keep thinking I did. It's not about assists at all you dope. It's about realizing nothing is coming out of a possession. The problem is often Harden will have run down the clock to less than 10 seconds so even if he gives it up, there's not a lot others can do.

5. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

So Harden is screwed either way. He passes and it's a turnover he gonna get railed. He shoots he's a ball hog.

6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

the minute I saw the thread, I knew the haters would be bashing and the harden nuthuggers would be out defending... Seems amazing that around half the board rags on him endlessly while the other half is in total denial...lol

7. p10maggs

p10maggs Member

Harden needs a ruthless leader to guide him on how to be a leader. Dwight is not that figure. It has to be a military style coach like pop for this guy to feel accountable

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The problem isn't his high usage. It's what your best player is supposed to do.

It was fine until he all of a sudden decided to turn the ball over like crazy, make poor decisions and start shooting more 3s at a lower %

9. kjayp

on a sidenote, i love how people point out Hardens assists as of late to 'justify' that he is not a ballhog... the dude is operating as a PG in most instances (bringing the ball up, etc...) he SHOULD get a grip of assists...

Harden is all about padding his stats... that's why he wants the ball continuously on offense - so he can justify his turnovers through his "useage rate," he can facillitate and get the assists, etc... He loves free throws - points added to his total without taking a shot - he'd rather get 2 free throws than a straight up bucket... 30 points on 17 shots, etc... meanwhile add the 6 possessions he took free throws on and the 5-6 turnovers... and that's 30 points on effectively 28 or 29 shots/possessions - he's a crafty one, he knows how to manipulate the stats... ;)

The dude has immense talent, but he ain't all that....

10. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Basically, Harden's assists are fool gold in that he is more akin to players like Melo and Kobe where ball movement and team assist rate drop despite the player's individual stats.

This is partly due to the quality of the players around him but also due to often he turns so many possessions into ISO showcases. His assists/game are misleading because they are offset by turnovers, they aren't that high when you consider the ball is almost always in his hands, when you realize that he slows the pace of the game and the Rockets get fewer overall possessions when he's on the court, and finally that the team assist rate goes DOWN with Harden. I don't know how much is fixable with coaching but these serious, glaring problems.

11. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

The real quote was from Morey on the Zach Lowe podcast.

He's says that harden is one of The best pkayers In the world and is super competitive and wants to win at all cost and somtimes he's own yalent ats in his way but that harden also knows knows that if he wants to take the next step and be champion he needs to trust his teamates more.

I fail to see how that quote is not spot on in what is really going on. James needs better players around him sure but he's doing just about everything this team can ask of him to try and win games. I don't see how any of you could be mad about how he's been playing the last 30 games. He's been amazing, just been way to many other players not helping out. You can't shoot 20% on 30 threes and expect to win many games and it's been happening way to much lately.

1 person likes this.
  12. HtownRock

HtownRock Member

Is our scoring and offensive rating just plummeting when Harden sits and skyrockets when Harden is on the court a 'glaring problem' also?

If our ball movement is so good and team assists are higher without Harden, then why the f are we getting blown out when he is not playing?,
    'cause all of the +/- stats tells the same story : when Harden is on the court, we are competitive. When he sits, we are basically playing at a D-league level.

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good post. agree completely.

14. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Its like Captain America: Civil War concerning the way this franchise treats James Harden.

15. neruto

neruto Member

Is our team's scoring and offensive rating just plummeting when Harden sits a glaring problem too? If our ball movement is so good and team assists are higher when Harden is out, why is it that we play like one of the wort teams in the league when Harden's not playing?

Whatever you think Harden's shortcoming are, he has the highest +/- numbers on this team. That means we really struggle when he is not playing. That's all you need to know about Harden's impact.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly, no one wants to face us in the playoffs because of Harden's desire to win and do whatever is necessary. ;)

1 person likes this.
  17. kjayp

yep, "his immense desire to win"...

...that's why he was willing to take less money to stay in OKC... oh wait a minute...

...well, that's why he works so hard in the offseason to come in in optimum condition... uh, well anyway...

...but that's why during the season, he's all about business, limiting the personal drama and distractions.... hmmmm....

...but at least he's a leader on the court and locker room by getting everyone involved on an ongoing basis as opposed to just focusing on his personal stats......errr....

;)

1 person likes this.
  18. kjayp

actually... according to sportingcharts.com, Harden isn't the highest +/-.... I actually thought it was Harrell...

...................................+/- / per gam / per 36
    87.. Clint Capela ........HOU 81 1.2 2.3
    98.. Patrick Beverley...HOU 60 1 1.3
    113 K.J. McDaniels..... HOU 49 1.7 11.7
    122 James Harden......HOU 37 0.5 0.5
    126 Montrezl Harrell... HOU 34 0.9 3.3
    139 Jason Terry........ HOU 27 0.4 0.9
    155 Andrew GoudelockHOU 19 9.5 32.6
    198 Sam Dekker ........HOU -2 -0.7 -12
    202 Chuck Hayes.......HOU -3 -1.5 -4.5
    215 Trevor Ariza........HOU -8 -0.1 -0.1
    257 Donatas Motiejun.HOU -23 -0.8 -2
    291 Dwight Howard.... HOU -34 -0.6 -0.6
    326 Michael Beasley... HOU -50 -5 -10
    375 Josh Smith..........HOU -92 -2.9 -7.2
    378 Corey Brewer...... HOU -92 -1.3 -2.2
    445 Terrence Jones... HOU -234 -4.8 -8.1

#38 kjayp, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  19. clos4life

clos4life Member

I agree. I think the only fault Harden has right now is he is too tired to play properly after stealing ladies from strip clubs. Perhaps they are related (girlfriends? sisters? mothers of?) to the posters in question? ;)

20. tdo

tdo Member

It's very clear that Harden doesn't trust much of his teammates, and I don't think that is that uncommon of a thing for star players. I wouldn't say it says anything about Harden being selfish as much as it does that he is doing what he thinks is best for the team to win. Is he right? Maybe I don't know. I do know that it is not a recipe for success. The Rockets as a whole are a flawed and broken team. The fact that Beasley can come in mid-season, and clearly be the player Harden trusts the most is ridiculous. It should have never gotten to this, and everyone is at fault for it getting to this point. Harden, the rest of the team, McHale, current coaching staff, and Morey.