1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 16, 2015.

1. mick fry

mick fry Member

I wouldn't even trade Correa straight up for Stanton. Marlins signed him to that outrageous contract let them suffer the consequences.

2. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but the funny stat of the day is that Jon Singleton has 420 total plate appearances.

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone know what Marwin's contract situation is like? It occurs to me if he continues to improve year-to-year and starts to really demonstrate that he is capable of putting up numbers worthy of a starter...at some point a team will be willing to pay him like one. But I have no idea when that will be. How long is he under club control?

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

With Fiers starting today and getting a spot in the rotation with LMC down, I figured it would be fun to revisit his stats from last year in starts with Houston:

[​IMG]

S'nice. Sample size be damned.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

There is a lot to like there.

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks, JR. I guess we control him a lot longer than I realized. I'll be curious to see what happens if he continues to improve and demonstrate above average offensive output. Will they just keep him as the modern day Billy Spiers, knowing he will get plenty of games and ABs backing up all the infield (rest days and injuries)...or will they at some point consider starting him at one of the spots that are shaky (3B maybe?). Or, if he continues to produce, maybe they think of him as a significant trade chip and hope a guy like Tony Kemp or some other minor league prospect can be the next super utility guy.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He is too valuable to trade at this point. It would take a lot to get him as he can be the primary backup at 6 positions. He gives us what TB had with Zobrist (not as good offensively, but a better SS/3B). Versatility and depth. Good ball clubs need guys like that.

I think other teams should be trying to get him though as he is a starting quality SS, which is something several teams need. As he gets more expensive, and closer to FA, we will have to consider moving him, but for now it would be very expensive to get him.

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Would we consider it if the right catcher came available?

10. juicystream

I'm sure they would consider it, but it would have to be an all-star caliber catcher with at least 2 years of control, IMO.

11. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

That's the thing

NO team is trading an all star level Catcher for Marwin. I mean seriously, I like the guy a lot but that ain't happening

He likely holds more value to us than anyone we would trade him to

We are not exactly stable at 1B or 3B, and our front office has shown it likes to carry an extra pitcher. So a guy like him who can play all over the place, and do it well, fits perfectly here

But having said that, who is looking to move a controllable all star level catcher for him???

12. juicystream

I agree, though we'd trade more than Marwin, he would just be the main piece. The one guy known on the market is Lucroy, but the Brewers traded their SS to open space for their top prospect.

Luhnow echoed the same thing when he said GMs were inquiring about Marwin, but ended those calls quickly. We have 2+ WAR type players at every position (minus perhaps 1B/DH, but hopeful on White/Gattis). Our team doesn't have a glaring weakness (catcher depth excluded, but that is true of most teams), but we'd have that lack of depth all over the IF without Marwin. He allows us to give guys more days off. He protects us for injury. He gives us value both as a pinch hitter and late game defensive replacement.

I think he would have more value as somebody's everyday SS, but a team will want to send prospects for him, which isn't what we would be looking for. If a scenario were to present itself, it would probably have to be a 3 team trade. Teams should have tried for him last offseason, when the team might have been more agreeable to a prospect return.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would add Norris for the Padres as an all star catcher (2014) on trade market.

14. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Has Marwin ever caught? Would be a lot cooler if he did. *insert wooderson pic*

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Norris would be a great platoon candidate vs lefties. But no thanks on giving up significant ML value (Marwin) for a guy who starts maybe 60 games.

If he comes fairly cheaply in terms of prospects, I'd be all for it

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Can Bagwell come out of retirement and catch?

-DD

17. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Sure but he can't throw.

18. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Didn't stop Congerbot...

1 person likes this.
  19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Can't he learn to throw left-handed?

- DD

1 person likes this.
  20. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Well he'd have to. He couldn't even throw back to the pitcher. He'd have to walk the ball back to the mound every time.