1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are all these former players so threaten by what Steph Curry is doing?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

Yeah man. You've put it all on Monta several times now. I know, i know. Monta Ellis have it all.

Steph Curry is not that much different today from Davidson or Rookie Curry
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LU14pt7r6Oc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

All he did was add some behind the back dribbles, and add high school body looking creatine muscles to make his baby head a bit more proportional. Oh and he also added the mouthpiece swag to chew on with his baby teeth.

Monta only played there for Currys first 2 seasons and 33 games the 3rd season in which Curry only played 26 games that entire season because of his baby ankles. That leaves 2 more seasons without Monta where he was just the same player with 38 and 36 minutes per game. His team was a semi finals exit and first round exit. In comes Draymond in the starting lineup and Shaun Livingston on the bench and the Warriors explode and win it all. FMVP Iggy. All Curry. GOAT Scorer. Top 10 all time.

2. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I'm sure Kobe would have been just fine with this supporting cast and rattled off a few rings. But Kobe can't do what's Curry's doing - Curry is breaking the game. His efficiency numbers are off the charts - only MJ and LBJ have had similar numbers in recent years (Kobe hasn't come close) and historically the only players to compare are probably Kareem and Big O. If Curry keeps this up he's going to be right there with them. Kobe won't - ever.

Also what 13 win team are you talking about? GSW has a 23 win team the year Curry played 26 games. You're gonna hold what his team did when he was hurt against him? His injuries were the reason that he didn't get a max and nobody took him seriously until last year, myself included. But every year from then on, he got better and better. From All-Star to superstar to MVP to this. Kobe was never this good. Ever.

3. what

what Member

Your main point: MJ was a star sooner. That means that Pippen wasn't responsible for his success. Is that it?

But Curry wasn't a star until Draymond started playing good, and becoming a starter. That about sum it up?

4. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

That's also unfair to Curry. His efficiency and his defense have improved considerably.

5. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

So rough and tough play has no effect on scorers? So than curry would have dominated in the 80s then since aparantly tough guy basketball leads to teams scoring more and shooting higher percentages.

6. what

what Member

It doesn't make any sense, really. But I thought he he saw his own point in print he might see it for what it is.

7. Caesar

Caesar Member

I understand Kobe's efficiency was pretty mediocre throughout his career, i'm only saying he'd definitely up it some next a bunch of deep threats hanging all around the perimeter. You have to understand Kobe was as deadly as anyone in league history during that run and he did with garbage teammates while Curry has weapons at his disposal all around the floor.

I meant Curry would lead Smush Parker and the rest of the Lakers to a lottery pick, nothing to do about the year he was hurt.

8. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I think you're right in that there are more situations in Kobe would excel than in Curry, who needs some of the right personnel around him. I'll concede that.

9. what

what Member

He's arguing star trajectories and role players. If he has to resort to that, I'd say he's losing the battle, and deflecting all the success that Curry has had toward Draymond.

10. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

1) Reggie Miller did fine and he was basically only a pure shooter. See also: George Gervin, Alex English. None of those players hold a candle to what Curry is doing now.

2) It's already been discussed that hand checking and illegal D rules basically negate each other. Offenses were much worse in the 90's and have improved considerably, but defenses have also improved and become much more complex. Despite that, Curry is breaking every team's defense in the way that MJ would destroy any team that didn't double him immediately. So "tough guy" basketball doesn't necessarily translate to a more effective defense.

11. Caesar

Caesar Member

Nope. I said Curry was just any other All-Star that was in contention for greatest 3 point shooter. He was. No one talked about him like a super star or a franchise player. They almost kept Monta over him. Never said he was some scrub. Nearly any top 20 you can think of was a Superstar of their own team from the get go. Only Kobe, and Dirk(though he's not my top 20) were slow to start, but Kobe had big time hype that he eventually lived up to. So in all, it's hard to believe a guy who's been around the league for a while now and is 28 years old is all of a sudden thrust into top 10 and GOAT scorer according to some posters just based on his current hot streak.

12. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Remember the reason they almost kept Monta is they weren't sure Curry's ankles would hold up. Not because of Curry's play. It was a health issue.

13. what

what Member

I must have read you wrong. This sounds a lot like you are saying that MJ was a star on his own, but Curry wasn't a star until draymond came along.

Implication being: MJ didn't need Pippen. But Curry does need Draymond. Correct me if I am wrong here?

14. wekko368

wekko368 Member

That doesn't make any sense at all.

Kobe's career can be divide into 3 stages: as a sidekick next to Shaq, as the leader of a trash team, and as the leader of a stacked team. And if you understand that Kobe's efficiency was pretty mediocre throughout his career during all 3 of these stages, then how can you possibly think his efficiency would spike with the Warriors?

No, he wasn't. Not even close. He's always been an inefficient, ball-dominant, volume shooter.

15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Is it really fair to refer to a multi-year span as a "current hot streak"?

16. Caesar

Caesar Member

And that is fine, i understand that.

Should i bold where i said just another another ALL-STAR player? Find me anything from people talking about him as a superstar/franchise player pre last year from anyone other than maybe Warriors fans.

17. what

what Member

I actually want to bold were you said PRE-DRAYMOND

18. Caesar

Caesar Member

Shooters. I'm in no way saying Kobe would have Curry efficiency. But, in all 3 of those stages, they weren't deadly 3 point shooting teams. I think any of the greatest scorers would be better in todays league surrounded by 38-40% 3 point shooters all around the floor. You don't think Kobe would destroy guys 1 on 1 due to other defenders protecting the 3?

19. Caesar

Caesar Member

Yeah. What's hard to understand? Pre Draymond, he was just another all star and now Post Draymond hes Goat?

20. what

what Member

Also, Ceasar, it doesn't matter when he became a superstar. What matters is what he is doing now.

You seem really hung up on the fact that Curry wasn't a superstar soon enough for you but MJ was.