1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RIP Joe Santos

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dandorotik, Mar 18, 2016.

1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

A favorite from my all-time favorite show The Rockford Files. If you have never seen this show, and you like quality writing plus excellent performances, by all means watch The Rockford Files:

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/joe-santos...st_id=10205550909723994_10207769332103167#_=_

Joe Santos, best known for his role as Lt. Dennis Becker on The Rockford Files, has died. His rep confirmed the death to Deadline, but the cause is not known. He was 84.

Over a career that spanned some 40 years, the Brooklyn, NY-born Santos is best known for his police lieutenant roles in 1970s series The Rockford Files and 1980s Hardcastle and McCormick. His role as Lt. Dennis Becker on The Rockford Files earned him a supporting actor Emmy nomination in 1979. His most recent TV role came in 2004 in an arc as Angelo Garepe on The Sopranos.

Santos also wracked up an extensive list of feature film credits including The Postman, Mo’ Money, The Last Boy Scout and The Man from Elysian Fields. His most recent film credit, according to IMDB was 2015’s Chronic.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A terrific character actor and The Rockford Files (I almost wrote Rocket Files) was an outstanding show. Jim Garner made the series, of course, but Santos was a key member of the cast. Rest in peace, Lt. Becker. For those wondering whether they should watch the series (it's probably on Netflix) and are too young to recall a lot about the superb James Garner, check out this film, The Americanization of Emily. The man could act.

3. dandorotik

Absolutely- I'll bombard this thread with YouTube videos if I have to- it's truly one of the outstanding shows.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Rockford Files is one of the best written television shows ever.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Remember him from The Postman. RIP

6. dandorotik

Absolutely - the most hilarious episode titles, hands-down:

Dwarf in a Helium Hat
    Sticks and Stones May Break Your Bones, But Waterbury Will Bury You
    With The French Heel Back, Can The Nehru Jacket Be Far Behind?
    3-Day Affair with a 30-Day Escrow
    Local Man Eaten by Newspaper
    Never Send a Boy King to Do a Man's Job
    Lions, Tigers, Monkeys and Dogs
    2 into 5.56 Won't Go

For a detective show, it was very much in the mold of a good Raymond Chandler novel.

7. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Ah, Becker. Damn.

Just the greatest damned television show ever. It's all over the streaming services, but for old lumps of coal like me I wish it was still syndicated somewhere. The first Tivo I had was just overloaded with Rockford episodes, Conan, and Shaun Livingston's rookie year.

1 person likes this.
  8. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Its on Netflix I watched the entire series last summer and it made me remember how much I loved the show as a kid. I remember back in the late 90's-early 2000's one of the local stations used to run it late at night and I used to watch it when I worked the graveyard shift back then.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I remember he stood in for Hudson on one of those pillow talk type movies with Doris Day, "Move Over Darling." The courtroom scene where they re-hashed the plot was pretty well-done, it balanced Garner's comedic energy and neuroses against his fairly stoic, squared-jawed looks.