1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So glad I lived through 93-95

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by legacygt777, Mar 14, 2016.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, I surround myself with less emotional people...to get me off the ledge.
    :)

I would keep Morey and empower him, instead of handcuffing him.

DD

2. ThaShark316_28

After 97-98, 99 and 2006, this year is child's play.

3. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

I'm confused. Not too long ago you were crying for the rockets to fire "Derpyl Morley." Now you want to empower him? So which is it?

4. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

elaborate

5. ThaShark316_28

41-41 in 97-98.

Bunch of punk ass injuries and inconsistent play.

31-19 in 99.

A team we thought would be SICK. Get beat up by the wack ass Lakers. No chemistry all year.

34-48 in 2005/2006.

We just KNEW we'd be awesome that year. Injuries killed us, but even while healthy, team never could catch fire.

This year isn't good, but I'm not as "upset" (I wouldn't really be upset, but you get it) as I would be. There was a legit shot at being a 5 seed anyway this year, even had they been pretty solid.

6. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Suckton hit the 3 in 97 not 96.

7. ThaShark316_28

The regression of the role players and the regression of the defense murdered this team.

I think with the new coach plus Harden, they'll get something done. Have to. We will see, but still.

8. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

97-98 hakeem was old and barely played half the season. drexler was retiring. 99, pippen and barkley were done. 05-06 the rox were supposed to suck.

this year after making the WCF is the biggest disappointment with this roster. more talent than any of those teams above mentioned.

9. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

why get something done when they haven't all year? i mean if they make it to the 7-8 seed, you're looking at a playoff like the texans.

we will see and i hope i'm really wrong.

10. ThaShark316_28

Up for debate, but a lot of guys, as I said, regressed horribly and the team never recovered.

And I'm kind of wondering about this "they don't fight" thing. I feel like they've gotten their asses kicked quite frequently to start games, and continuously come back in games.

Also, I wonder if had they met everyone's standards with "fighting", then "no moral victories" would be the battle cry. Right or wrong? (No doubt, folks: I get you alls frustration)

11. ThaShark316_28

Oh, I meant after this year. My fault.

12. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

they're losing badly and then they lock down and start playing and get the game close. seen it all season long. lazy.

13. Ubigman

Ubigman Member

oh what? sweet! this thread again

14. ThaShark316_28

Right, but we praise those 2009-2012 for having heart, when they were super mediocre and folks called them boring. Now, we like them?

I guess it's all about who's on the roster, ya know? If this team was 33-33 with 30 year old Dwight as its best player, most would probably feel better.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

$10 for a pretzel last time i was there.

Le$

16. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

i was a season ticket holder back then. 09 yao didn't even play and the rest were just not good teams.

this year, dwight still pulling double doubles, harden still making stats and we just finished 1st in the division and made the WCF last yr. that's the disappointment. the biggest imo.

17. OTMax

OTMax Member

Maybe we need to realize this group was never that good or talented to begin with. We all knew the shortcomings of Beverley, Howard, Ariza, Harden, Brewer, Josh, Capela & TJ. D-Mo is injured most the time, Terry is old and the rest are very young. That group last year just had luck, a determined Harden and some players who got hot at the right time and overachieved in general.

The luck part was mainly in getting the Mavs, then a CP3 less Clippers for two games and a crazy Josh Smith & Brewer shooting display on top of defensive effort in game 6 to win that series. Remember this team did not come to play in at least 4 out of the first 6 games. Game 1, 3, 4 and in huge parts of game 6 as well. They quit in 3 & 4. Dwight admitted this. If that series had been lost in 5 /6 games, the media and fans would've spewed that team out. It would've been known as a team who quits on each other, chemistry would've been doubted, Harden and Howard would have been mocked and called out on their lack of leadership, McHale probably would not have made it past the off-season etc.

It's basically the survival of that series and the ability to win games with a determined Harden while Howard was out during the regular season that had us thinking this team might be able to do something special. Even with McHale and company. A lack of a determined Harden, regardless of reasons, McHale seemingly lost of what to do with the group of guys he had available and players who's contribution regressed to the mean or even worse and J.B. showing we have no real system and count on Harden 90% of the time, has now caused us to see what is truly wrong with this team. To me it's a positive in the end, a blessing in disguise. We all knew deep down that counting on Brewer, Beverley, Josh, TJ, Ariza, Jet, Harden & Howard coached by McHale or even J.B. was never going to cut it.

I was a fan of the Rockets since Olajuwon, but did not have the means to follow the NBA much and had other things going on so basically started following them since the 2007 play-offs. This season stands out because of expectations that come with having an almost MVP in Harden and Howard, but deep down I felt that counting on a Harden & Ty combo to take us over the top was a troubling sign. I did not expect this of course, but I did not feel at all like I did when we signed Artest for example. I felt like we were in the top tier. Prior to this season, I figured we would struggle to get even into the top 3 and we would hover around 3-5 all year. So it is a disappointment, but just not sure how much of one.

Just my two cents.

18. joeson332

joeson332 Member

I was 3 years old the first time we won so obviously didnt get to party lke I would want. I do have vague memory of the 2nd ring, my dad in his towncar with 8 mexicans all with brooms dirving down Broadway just honking. Sigh. Sucks I will never experience this.

19. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, it was amazing to experience, I miss those times... The good news is there's always next year! Lol, it'll probably be a lot more than next but at least 94 and 95 happened.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

[​IMG]

DD