1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are Macbooks worth it?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

Looking to get my first ever macbook product and i want to make sure it's worth it since it's so pricey. My reasoning for going to a mac is because i'm tired of windows pc always getting virus or slowdown over time. And plus i'm getting an iphone soon, so that would make a pair.

The macbook im going to get is probably the one that will likely come out soon in the next few months, the refresh of the 12" retina macbook. Have read good reviews of the 2015 version and the design is sleek. My primary use will be browsing, youtube videos, pdf files. This coming one will probably cost $1500.

As a side question, how do hotspots work? I wont have wifi and im looking to invest into a hotspot device. How is the payment plan for those? Thanks

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

At that price point I'd go for the refreshed MacBook Pro 15". Will cost just a frw $100 more and be way more bang for the buck. The current retina MacBook only has one USB C connection and it's used for charging as well. It's nice, but just not practical for a lot of people. Including myself.

The 13" MacBook Pro starts at the price point of the Retina MacBook that you mentioned. That's a better route as well.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If your macbook is going to be your end-all-be-all computer, and you're fully invested into itunes and the iphone, etc, then yes, it's probably worth it.

Otherwise, hell no.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Get a Chromebook.
    A Macbook is wasted if that's literally all you're going to do with it.

If you're interested in photo editing, video editing, coding, etc. then it might be worth it, but don't get it if you just want to do light stuff like web browsing, watching videos, and viewing media like PDFs, images, etc.

#4 RedRedemption, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  5. Sajan

Sajan Member

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Depends on the person.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I personally can never go back from my Macbook, but you have to fully utilize the unique features. If you're just wanting to use internet and such, just get something cheaper.

8. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

To me it's like asking which flavor of ice cream is best. Get some time to try one out and see how you like it.

I have an Android phone and tablet. I use Windows and Linux at work. But I love my Mac as my main personal machine. And while none of them are in the same ecosystem, I don't have a hard time making all these things work together.

9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I've got a 2009 Macbook Pro that is still running well after doubling the ram to 8gb and adding an SSD in 2013. It's still my daily driver and continues to function well for everything you described. It runs the latest OSX version and takes all the updates. The Apple Care I bought ended up covering nearly $1000 in repairs which have enabled this computer to last nearly 7 years. It just made the Apple vintage list (> 5 years old with discontinued service).

All that being said, as much as I love my MBP the idea that I can currently buying similar computing power on a PC for nearly half of a Mac is tempting. After a while, an operating system is an operating system. Windows has made some big strides in form since I got a Mac and the function was always better.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Lol, my MacBook from 09' still works great. In other words, **** yes they are.

11. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

NO. If you are going mac, go macbook PRO. But then again you said your primary use are only browsing and youtube, so it'll do. But personally if you're spending that much already might as well go big with a MBPro.

I've had my macbook pro since 2010 and only upgraded a SSD - this thing stills run amazingly (knock on wood) - PCs break down so easily.

12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Same with my Pro. I ended up putting an SSD in there last year and it's been even better since.

I could probably make this last another 1-2 years.

My only complaint are the cheap chargers, but aside from that, I really have had no complains the last 7 years.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This.

I love my company issued retina MacBook, but nowadays there are uhd displays on PC laptops for a fraction of the price. The screen is one the the few things you can't upgrade or optimize.

Your previous posts indicate you don't have money to burn. I would not get it as an overpriced status symbol. Just flash/dual boot your current laptop to Linux instead if you're fed up with Windows.

14. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

3 posts in a row testifying to the longevity of Macbooks/pros

I'm compelled to say my Jan 09 Windows Thinkpad is working beautifully with no upgrades except for switching out the power cord twice, and battery once.

I'm on the Chromebook/cheap laptop train though.

If you really want to spend a lot of money on a laptop, get the Surface Pro

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Get an older MacBook refurbished. The design is the same and that MacBook will be powerful enough to do what you need to do with it.

Personally my 2010 MBP lasted all through college and is still my daily home computer today. I love that thing. I put in an SSD a few years ago and it is still very fast. I don't do anything other than surf the web and listen to music.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

$1500 to browse YouTube and look at PDFs? Sure, sounds great.

17. Outlier

Outlier Member

Lol when you put it that way...

But yeah, i do want to invest in apple's ecosystem. Going from an iphone 5 to a note 4 made me appreciate apple much more. I just love the simplicity.

For those suggesting the macbook Pro... the regular macbook just looks beautiful... but i will think it about it some more..

18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

To browse fuccbook, watch random you tube videos and fap to pron get the asus chromebook for like $200 instead of blowing $1500 on the mac

19. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was seriously considering a new Macbook pro for an audio recording setup until I learned that you can no longer add RAM. That killed it for me, so I'm waiting until a few more Thunderbolt interfaces have working Windows drivers, at which point I'll get a Windows machine.

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Yup, thats exactly what I did too, plus another stick of ram (Though I don't think you can do that anymore).

Super reliable, even as I'm typing from it now.