1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign Brock Osweiler

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 9, 2016.

?

Do you like the Brock Osweiler signing?

1. YES

68.7%
  2. NO

10.0%
  3. I abstain, courteously

21.3%
  1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Yep, but 1st and 2nd round rumors about Obrien drafting him early just took a hit.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

When I think about FA QB successes, I can think of Manning & Brees, who were both injured or Kurt Warner who was signed as a veteran backup. There are other minor successes like Chad Pennington (also injured) & Mike Vick (prison). Of course you could also consider a guy like Hoyer as a FA success, but that obviously isn't what the Texans are looking for. Teams just aren't keen on letting good young QBs hit the FA market. Alex Smith is the best I can think of.

I think of guys like Matt Flynn & Rob Johnson when I see a move like this.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I had the same thought.

4. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Yeah I'm glad. I guess the owner has no patience to groom a rookie QB. Please just us find one more offensive threat in the draft. (WR or TE)

5. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I'm excited about the move because we're at least making a bold move to fix the most important position on the field... something we were trying to fix with duct tape and chicken wire.

Snow Villiers... my question to you is, don't you know that people all throughout this forum are bookmarking these posts of yours? If he's anywhere near competent and the Texans are successful, this is just going to rain down on you.

I get being down on the move, but you're really THIS SURE that he's going to be a bust? A bust, by the way, that we can likely cut after two years with little financial burden? Maybe go into the season with the idea that you don't know the future and this may work out spectacularly... just know the crow will be served to you immediately and repeatedly...

6. mick fry

mick fry Member

And it was picked off.

1 person likes this.
  7. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

This may have been touched on, but how many of those TDs for Hoyer were against bad teams and or in GARBAGE time

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

rick smith's jon must've been on the line. if it's another bust move... this one wastes the rest of jj's prime years.

9. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

So what's the final guaranteed money ?

10. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

37m. Last I heard

1 person likes this.
  11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Bill does realize Hoyer's first 7 starts didn't happen last year, right?

12. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Texans making good run at Osweiler, but as I've been saying, I don't see him leaving Broncos. Too good of a fit with Kubiak and Elway.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/707622017718099968">March 9, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

But that's the thing. Teams aren't keen on letting good young QBs hit the FA market because they typically have reason to lock them up beforehand. If they're good and young, they'll either play their way to the top or sign as the presumptive starter going forward. Here, they had one of the greatest of all time playing QB ahead of him, and coming into this season, it was entirely plausible that Manning would have a comeback year and QB this team for another 2 years.

We know how it worked out, but they couldn't have predicted that and locked up Osweiler to 4/40 or something with the potential of Manning QBing 2 of those years.

In a typical scenario, if a guy is good enough to get a starting job, he'll get it on his own team. Matt Schaub is a good comp not because of his style, but because he was a good QB stuck behind another good QB.

I just think it's hard to put this in a historical context because this situation is really unique when it comes to QBs. Just the right set of circumstances to allow it to happen.

14. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Broncos did increase offer to Osweiler from 3 yrs 45 mil+ (15+per) to 4 yrs, 64 mil+. (16+per) <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/9news?src=hash">#9news</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/9sports?src=hash">#9sports</a></p>&mdash; Mike Klis (@MikeKlis) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeKlis/status/707691864057626625">March 9, 2016</a></blockquote>

15. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I don't care for the money, we technically only outbid by 1.5m per year.

I'm just hesitant on Brock in general, I was really hoping for a young QB. Can't say I hate or love the move, but it's better than what we had last year

16. Marteen

Marteen Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Brock Osweiler is &quot;excited&quot; to come to Houston and join the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a>. <a href="https://t.co/8d6EYQqcb0">pic.twitter.com/8d6EYQqcb0</a></p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/707692290198769665">March 9, 2016</a></blockquote>

17. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Houstunna likes this.
  18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

He is young

19. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mark is already stalking Brock at the airport? :)