1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans sign Brock Osweiler

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Mar 9, 2016.

?

Do you like the Brock Osweiler signing?

1. YES

68.7%
  2. NO

10.0%
  3. I abstain, courteously

21.3%
  1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You'd have to see the guaranteed money.

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

This is interesting. It sounds like his weaknesses is stuff that I imagine O'Brien would feel he could train out of the guy. Get him to stay within his own head, play under control and protect the ball. But arm strength, pocket presence, decision making is tough to teach.

I'm cautiously excited.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

Please god let this be false.

37MM....

4. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

It was in excess of $30MM. They wanted him.

5. liveguy

liveguy Member

Wasted money.

He sucks.

More of the same.

6. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He's better and more experienced than anyone we would have been able to draft, and he has much less downside than any possible free agent. I'm good with it! Now they don't have to reach for a quarterback in the first round, so in essence, they picked up a first round draft pick in addition to a starting quarterback. I do NOT like Rick Smith, but this was a solid move.

7. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

So..........I take it you dont like the deal.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Nah, let it be true. It's the ball and chain around Smith's leg if he fails.

One way of another you either get the franchise QB or you start fresh with a new GM.

WIN WIN

9. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Member

I love this move!

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

It can't be true. That's so insanely high.

The last time a valued under-study QB got signed to a long term deal was Schaub in 2007... and his deal only guaranteed $7MM (six-year, $48 million contract).

11. eric.81

eric.81 Member

An easy, quick release with elite arm strength and solid footwork. If BOB is the QB whisperer he thinks he is, this kid should be successful here. I really can't imagine a scenario where we were going to get another QB that is both this talented and ready to start from week 1.

We have a lot of rebuilding to do on the OLine (though the Allen signing helps), but IF we can get competent line play, we're replacing Blue w/ Miller and Hoyer w/ Brock. A good draft makes us a very interesting team. In my opinion, of course... cautiously excited.

12. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Man... some of you guys act like this is your money they're spending.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">... If they're right on him, they'll be a top 3 team in the AFC. If they're not, everyone will be fired in a few years. We shall see.</p>&mdash; nick wright (@getnickwright) <a href="https://twitter.com/getnickwright/status/707673200155500546">March 9, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. eric.81

eric.81 Member

That might have well been a million years ago... a lot has happened since Matt made his nut.

It's like when an older person wants to tell you how much cigarettes cost when they were young...

15. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

We need a damn TE now.

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

* excluding Rick Smith

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Or Matt Flynn's 3 yr 26M (10M guaranteed) in 2012.

But neither of those guys had a prolonged stretch of starting games to evaluate. In fact, neither had really started games...Schaub had 2 starts in ATL, and Flynn I think had 0? Maybe 1 irrelevant Game 17 where he blew up?

Plus ATL had Vick, GB had Rodgers...this was a weird scenario when the backup was becoming the starter in the place where he began. So the stakes were always going to be higher. The incumbent was the high bidder to start with

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

2012 we had Matt Flynn signed away to the Seahawks for 10MM guaranteed.

Granted he wasn't a high pick like Osweiler.

I think Flynn started a few games near the end of 2011 and roasted some crappy defenses and made a bunch of dumb GMs cream their pants.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wow I know I'm going to get killed for this and I don't have a lot of room to talk, but this latest QB contract is unbelievable........ </p>&mdash; Matt Flynn (@mflynn3) <a href="https://twitter.com/mflynn3/status/707674879424733184">March 9, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ROFL!

Matt Flynn putting Osweiler on blast!

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

Osweiler hitting the market is a near-unprecedented perfect storm. If not for Von Miller, the Broncos undoubtedly franchise him. Frankly, they may regret not doing so, if he turns out to be good.

But I really can't think of a similar circumstance, where you have a highly-touted, young QB hitting the market free and clear. My concern is where were the Jets and Rams on this?