1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Beasley: Durant bait?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kennysmith, Mar 7, 2016.

1. kennysmith

kennysmith Member

Lock if this point has been raised. It seems to be common knowledge that Durant & Harden were/are closer than Durant & Westbrook, then I came across a random thread speculating that Durant's best friend in the NBA is actually... Beasley.

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2013/...nd-kevin-durant-the-tale-of-two-best-friends/

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...d-kevin-durant-could-become-sonics-teammates/

random thread I came across at first:
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000208-sports-and-racing-nba/68653217

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Wasn't Lawson supposed to be one his best friends? That didn't really work out.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

WB's position does not interfere with Durant's other than that he takes couple touches and shots away from Kevin

I think there was a reason why OKC went with a defending SG (Sefolosha) than with Harden as a starter

You have to field an extremely competitive and defensive minded lineup with Harden

That is not easy to do. Morey found out the hard(en) way

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

edit: and extremely efficient shooters because Harden is going to be ball dominant half the game

5. kennysmith

kennysmith Member

They're friends from playing AAU ball together. Not sure about "best" friends. Could be wrong on that though.

6. Garner

Garner Member

Durant is going to sign a one year deal with OKC this year. If he doesn't, he loses $20Million due to the cap increase.

Secondly, no. The key to durant's heart is not the Chinese league MVP.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Dwight lost 30 million signing with the Lakers. LMA lost money signing with the Spurs.

Durant is a superstar, he can make that money elsewhere.

8. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

He will sign a 2 year deal with the opt out in the 2nd year to max out the following year with the cap spike. I just can't see him coming to Houston unless him and Harden are the very best of friends and the coach we pick is the one he wants to play for. Beasley isn't moving the needle enough to make the commitment.

9. Garner

Garner Member

I'm not talking about having that 5th year or not, as your examples highlight.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Listen to this man.

/close thread.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Your example still hinges on Durant putting money first as his first priority

No one knows what Durant is going to do and people are speaking in terms of "If I were Durant, I'd..." and no one has a clue quite frankly.

You could easily make a case that he wants to play with his buddies in Texas (A state he's very familiar with) for the Rockets.

Or you could make a case that he'll just go to the Warriors to win right away.

Or he wants to go play for the Lakers or Knicks...

Or you could make the case you and others are making. That money is his first priority so he'll just resign. Although I'd argue that since Durant is a superstar, one of the faces of the NBA...he's going to make up that 20 million he loses in endorsements quite easily. Especially if he wins.

The point is, no one is Durant and no one knows how he will prioritize things when FA hits.

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

It's actually the pet frog that Beasley carries around in his back pocket and sometimes backpack that Durant is so fond of.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Howard did not lose 30m - it was a shorter contract, which he will make up this year and there were no state income taxes in Texas.

It was a wash.

DD

15. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

this reminds me of when lebron was a free agent. cavs were gonna form a big 3. rileys answer to that was...josh mcroberts and danny granger. one helluva curveball he threw there. i bet lebron lost a lotta sleep deciding who to choose from.

16. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

Did you know Dwight Howard and Josh Smith played AAU together?

17. kennysmith

kennysmith Member

I don't think Beasley by himself moves the needle very much either, just seems like a Morey move after seeing the impact a no-name second round pick making under a million a year could have on bringing Dwight here. Suggesting that Chandler Parsons would play any role in where Dwight went this time 3 yrs ago would've elicited belligerent laughter in your face.

Anyway, main point is the Beasley signing may've been less of a head scratcher if the press releases noted "oh, and he's Durant's best friend." He's another direct line to KD... or at least another guy to be buzzing in his ear about Houston. Precedent has already been set for stars taking a pay cut to play with their friends and in this regard Beasley is just an "asset" in Moreyspeak.

18. amaru

amaru Member

Why would Durant leave a team that's close to contending for a team that virtually in the lottery?

Be real Houston fans.

19. kennysmith

kennysmith Member

Did you know that Derek Fisher and Matt Barnes played AAU ball together?

Jk.

No one's denying that AAU ball can create friendships though...

20. kennysmith

kennysmith Member

Isn't that exactly what Lebron did?