1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Ghost in the Shell

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

March 31, 2017.

Based on the classic Cyberpunk Anime Movie and Series.

[​IMG]

NSFW Original Anime Poster:

[​IMG]

Starring:
    Scarlett Johansson
    Sam Riley
    Michael Pitt
    Pilou Asbæk

Directed By:
    "Snow White and the Huntsman" director Rupert Sanders.

Adaptation of the anime classic to begin production this month.

A Hollywood adaptation of the classic anime film Ghost in the Shell has been in the works for many years, but the project is finally about to go into production. It has been reported that the film will start shooting this month, and now a key role has been cast.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Michael Pitt will play the film's main villain, appearing alongside star Scarlett Johansson. Pitt is best known for his regular role HBO's period gangster drama Boardwalk Empire, as well as Hannibal and the film Seven Psychopaths.

THR reports that Pitt is to play the Laughing Man, who is actually the villain from the spinoff series Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, rather than the original 1995 movie. The film is to be directed by Snow White and the Huntsman's Rupert Sanders, and as Collider reported last week, it will start shooting in New Zealand, Hong Kong, and China this month. It is set for a March 31, 2017 release.

Ghost in the Shell was one of the key anime films to break through to a western audience during the 1990s. It was created by Masamune Shirow, and originally published as a manga series in 1989. It is set in the Tokyo of the future, and focuses upon a counter-cyberterrorist organization known as Public Security Section 9.

The popularity of the manga led to four anime movies, the latest of which, Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie, was released last year. There have also been a number of video games.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

I want Hollywood to attempt Akira. I would like the writers to produce a screenplay that can help audiences understand what the movie is about. They'll need to hire A-lists to play the characters though.

3. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

This will do nicely! Wonder who'll play the Chief and if he'll have the same hair...

4. Xerobull

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That's a tough one. I imagine the heavy handed philosophy and politics will be thrown out the window and replaced with sex bots plus boom boom bang bang.

6. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

They were going to do it 2 years ago but there was a big backlash against the whitewashed cast.

7. Marteen

Marteen Member

With any American adaptation of an anime, I hope they don't mess it up. First Ghost in the Shell movie was so damn epic.

8. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Yeah this one is going to be in production hell for awhile. If Ghost in the Shell does well it could push up the production of Akria

9. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Chronicle reminded me somewhat of Akira storyline, I haven't seen Akira probably in 20 years but from what I remember it was about a boy that became powerful and abused his power.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

This movie was boring as f. His breakthrough movie that landed him a Hollywood contract must've been great for him to get another shot with a big budget.

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Something like that, there was the whole government Akria project that created the super powers beforehand and what not.....plus all the terrorist angles with the girl.....

Ghost in the Shell is one of my favorite anime movies but like somebody said, I get the feeling they'll strip all the headier stuff and turn into into an actioneer.

12. VanityHalfBlack

As long as she gets naked in this movie, I could care less about being true to the original source.

13. Xerobull

Takeshi 'Beat' Kitano Joins GHOST IN THE SHELL To Play 'The Chief', Daisuke Aramaki

[​IMG]

According to The Wrap, famed Japanese actor Beat Takeshi Kitano has joined the cast of Paramount Pictures live-action adaptation of the hit anime & manga, “Ghost in the Shell”. Starring Scarlett Johansson the adaptation of Masamune Shirow's manga will arrive in theaters on March 31, 2017. In an official press release, Kitano stated, "This film tells the story of mankind in the near future in a unique setting. My role Aramaki is a unique and attractive character. The story revolves around the human relationships of the characters. This film will be stylish and entertaining, which is completely different from the type of movies I direct myself. This excited me and was the reason I decided to participate in this film." Kitano is best known for such films as Battle Royale, The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi and Izo.

Rupert Sanders directs the film from a script written by William Wheeler. Johansson stars as 'The Major', Motoko Kusanagi. Pilou Asbæk will play the Major's right-hand man, Batou. Michael Pitt will play the Laughing Man. No word yet on who will fill out the rest of Section 9's roster. While characters like Saito, Paz and Borma are largely non-vital, it will be interesting to see who is cast to play Togusa and Ishikawa.

[​IMG]

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Truly an epic anime, although the English dub for the major was quite possibly the worst I have ever heard. I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but it made the dub almost unwatchable, and I typically prefer dubs.

I'm not expecting much more than an action movie, but if they put the effort in it could be exceptional.

15. VanityHalfBlack

So wait, She doesn't get naked in this??? FUKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!! What was the other movie she was in that she played an Alien? She got naked in that right?

16. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Well, that's Section Dingle for you....! :grin:

17. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Ghost in the Shell Photo Released as Production Begins

[​IMG]

Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Pictures have announced that production is underway on Ghost in the Shell, starring Scarlett Johansson (Avengers: Age of Ultron, Lucy) and directed by Rupert Sanders (Snow White and the Huntsman). The film is shooting in Wellington, New Zealand. Paramount Pictures will release the film in the U.S. on March 31, 2017 and has released the first Ghost in the Shell photo, which you can view in the gallery below.

The film, which is based on the famous Kodansha Comics manga series of the same name, written and illustrated by Masamune Shirow, is produced by Avi Arad (The Amazing Spider-Man 1 & 2, Iron Man), Ari Arad (Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance), and Steven Paul (Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance). Michael Costigan (Prometheus), Tetsu Fujimura (Tekken), Mitsuhisa Ishikawa, whose animation studio Production I.G produced the Japanese Ghost in the Shell film and television series, and Jeffrey Silver (Edge of Tomorrow, 300) will executive produce.

Based on the internationally-acclaimed sci-fi property, Ghost in the Shell follows the Major, a special ops, one-of-a-kind human-cyborg hybrid, who leads the elite task force Section 9. Devoted to stopping the most dangerous criminals and extremists, Section 9 is faced with an enemy whose singular goal is to wipe out Hanka Robotic’s advancements in cyber technology.

“We are so pleased to be in Wellington to shoot ‘Ghost in the Shell,’” said producers Avi Arad, Ari Arad, Michael Costigan and Jeffrey Silver. “The city boasts state-of-the-art production facilities and a rich urban landscape that make it an ideal setting for a sci-fi action film. The crew-base in New Zealand working on the film is first class, and working with Sir Richard Taylor and the team at Weta Workshop is inspirational on every level. The people of New Zealand have been terrific partners in helping us bring this story and its beloved characters to audiences around the world and we are thankful for their continued hospitality.”

Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Pictures have entered into a marketing agreement with the New Zealand Film Commission (NZFC), Tourism New Zealand (TNZ), Callaghan Innovation and the Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment (MBIE) which recognizes the significant economic, cultural and industry development benefits the production will bring to New Zealand. The collaboration will further promote New Zealand’s growing screen industry, develop local talent and showcase New Zealand to the rest of the world.

“The production will broaden the perceptions of the diversity of New Zealand’s locations by showcasing a science fiction urban setting in New Zealand,” says Dave Gibson NZFC Chief Executive.

Tourism New Zealand’s Chief Executive Kevin Bowler said: “Tourism New Zealand is thrilled to be working with Paramount Pictures for the first time on ‘GHOST IN THE SHELL.’ Film tourism is an important element in Tourism New Zealand’s work to inspire people to visit New Zealand and we look forward to this new opportunity to showcase New Zealand to the rest of the world.”

The cast of Ghost in the Shell includes Beat Takeshi Kitano as Daisuke Aramaki, Juliette Binoche as Dr. Ouelet, Michael Pitt as Kuze, Pilou Asbæk as Batou, and Kaori Momoi. The members of Section 9 are played by Chin Han, Danusia Samal, Lasarus Ratuere, Yutaka Izumihara and Tuwanda Manyimo.

The film’s crew includes Cinematographer Jess Hall, Editor Neil Smith, Production Designer Jan Roelfs, and Costume Designers Kurt Swanson and Bart Mueller.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...ased-as-production-begins#Tf2rTEMWmKg8pRKd.99

18. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

"Under the Skin"

Not sure what to think of that production shot. Wish we had a front shot for a good look of her and her gear. This could be a good one if they do it right. Maybe on the level of Minority Report in the sci/fi cop move thing. Anyone know if they are going for an R rating or PG-13?

19. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I think it would make a better tv show, but i feel that way about most sci-fi or fantasy. You cant explore whatever new world you are creating in 2 hours.

20. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Too bad JJ's not done with his playing career bc he'd make a great Bato! :grin: