1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Crystal Ball: 2016 Draft] A Return to The Familiar 9th Seed 14th Pick. Our picks from the past & fu

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cdrive, Mar 3, 2016.

1. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

09-10 9th Rockets
    10-11 9th Rockets
    11-12 9th Rockets
    15-16 9th Rockets (our current trajectory)

It's been a 3 year hiatus, but we are very most likely back to our old familiar 9th seed! Since we will have been here more times than not over the last 7 years, with this year probably being our 4th time coming in 9th, let's review our teams draft selections the last 3 times we were in this situation. Who did we pick? Who did we miss?

09-10
    • 14th Pick Patrick Patterson
    (notable guys still available: Eric Bledsoe)

10-11
    • 14th Pick Marcus Morris
    (notable guys still available: Kawhi Leonard, Nikola Vučević)

• 23rd Pick Nikola Mirotic rights, traded for Donatas Motiejunas
    (notable guys still available: Kenneth Faried, Reggie Jackson, Jimmy Butler)

• 2nd round 38th pick Chander Parsons
    (notable guys still available: Isaiah Thomas, Andrew Goudelock)

11-12
    • 12th Pick Jeremy Lamb
    • 16th Pick Royce White
    • 18th Pick Terrence Jones
    (notable guys still available: Draymond Green, Evan Fournier)
    • 2nd round 44th Pick Furkan Aldemir

And what will we do this time?

15-16

My guesses:

• 14th pick Domantas Sabonis 6'10" Lithuanian PF, son of Arvydas Sabonis
    • 2nd round 38th pick Zhou Qi 7'2" Center from China

We know we like drafting PFs. We have a Legacy of Bigs. We love China. I see these 2 guesses as pretty decent stabs in the dark.

If we don't get Zhou, I think we would get Tyler Ulis, because (A) we like Kentucky guys, and (B) we like drafting sub-6' PGs.

How do you see Morey doing his thing this draft if we have that 14th pick again?

1 person likes this.
  2. OpenLayup-Why3?

Sabonis is not going to draft this summer.

3. p10maggs

p10maggs Member

And that is the difference between our last 5-6 drafts and a team becoming a dynasty, like Golden States

4. Caesar

Caesar Member

Diamond Stone is Chad Ford's mock to us. 2nd Best name available behind Dragan Bender.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Everytime I see Sabonis in a game he's getting completely worked.

6. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

No team in the history of the league had a better drafting result that GSW had in the last 6-7 years.

Luck is a major factor also.

Year Lg Rd Pk Player
    2012 NBA 1 7 Harrison Barnes
    2012 NBA 1 30 Festus Ezeli
    2012 NBA 2 35 Draymond Green
    2012 NBA 2 52 Ognjen Kuzmic
    Year Lg Rd Pk Player
    2011 NBA 1 11 Klay Thompson
    2011 NBA 2 44 Charles Jenkins
    Year Lg Rd Pk Player
    2010 NBA 1 6 Ekpe Udoh
    Year Lg Rd Pk Player
    2009 NBA 1 7 Stephen Curry

When you can draft 4 max players within 4 years, that's unheard of.

Of course their highest pick in those 4 years was spent on Udoh also.

1 person likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

It be real hard to become a dynasty. Like someone else said, luck is greatly involved.

8. lionaire

lionaire Member

14 - Use it to trade up for Henry Ellenson
    38th - Rasheed Sulaimon, Cat Barber, Danuel House, Mike Gbinije, Niang from ISU

9. p10maggs

p10maggs Member

Is it me or would Melo Trimble be an excellent fit for us at the PG position? Sizey (6-3), athletic, can create his own space, and can shoot the 3 (41+%)......

10. jogo

jogo Member

We're making the playoffs. Print it. Utah won't catch us, though we probably won't make up ground on Portland or Dallas. We'll most likely be 8th.

11. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

I wanted the pick so badly I forgot how much analytic geek sucks at drafting lmao

12. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Lol we aren't missing the playoffs. :grin:

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Please post it if you can.

BTW that name sounds like it belongs to an adult film actress.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Draft another forward, probably power, because lord knows they haven't drafted enough already.

That player will then be shipped out within 2 1/2 years.

Rinse. Repeat.

15. p10maggs

p10maggs Member

Great, just what we need... more players who get abused on a nightly basis

16. weopeo9744

weopeo9744 Member

Zhou Qi is next Yao. Book it.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Do you mean injury prone, or talent wise?

18. Caesar

Caesar Member

19. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Guys, I really hate to burst your bubble, but we are not...NOT making the playoffs

See here: W-Ls for 5-8 for remaining games

People are talking about 6th seed, 7th seed. It would take a miracle to just make 8th seed. We're on track for 9th seed. 3-34 shooting? That's the worst 3 point shooting in the history of the NBA! If those were 2s, 13.2% FG% instead of 8.8 3PT%, that would also be the worst FG% in a game in the entire history of the NBA. Our roster is a mess. Our coach is a mess. Our chemistry is a mess. We've dug too deep of a hole and we have proven that we can't beat the majority of the teams we have remaining. Hell we can barely pull past a terrible, tanking Suns team.

And here's the thing....if I'm wrong, I will be elated! E-LAY-TED. Because I think playoff experience, even a butt whooping series, is far more valuable to our team and overall goal in winning a championship through the development of our younger guys than a mid 1st round draft pick in a weak draft class. My heart says 8th seed, but my head says 9th seed. Meanwhile, the Rockets squad's heart says "whatevs" and their head says "Derp." It's just not happening. So we might as well start discussing what can be gleaned from this subpar draft class.

What I'd like to happen:
    -Build around Harden as the nucleus.
    -Get a damn coach. Not JBB. Get a real coach. Get JVG. Get Thibs. I would be very happy with both of those guys because both know how to light into an ass like a fat kid going to town on his birthday cake.
    -Lock up Howard for a 2yr 36 million. (Or something like that. Not too long and as much under max and you can)
    -Then go get a max contract dude. Swing for the fences for Durant.
    -Trade those assets like there is no tomorrow. We need a complete re-do on building a team of role players to compliment hopefully our new Big 3.
    -Use the draft to address holes you anticipate you need to fill if your Plan A,B,C,D go accordingly with trades. Stop using analytics so heavily to draft. Stop using "we are just going to draft the most talented player available at that pick". Don't draft players as if they are assets for future moves. Draft players that will help our team next year. Like if we have to trade our 2 3rd string/ insurance clause PGs (Prigs & Johnson) to get a high risk PG (Lawson) that might not work out, then you should have drafted Jerian Grant, not Sam Dekker. That's how I hope the Rockets approach the draft this offseason.

#19 cdrive, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Lamb got packaged for Harden