1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

He just has to step off the rubber to make a throw. If he actually got the guy out it was his own dumb fault. Kids are taught in grade school to go back to the bag anytime a pitcher steps off the rubber.

2. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

In addition, we have the top 1st base prospect in all of MLB (Reed) that should be ready by mid-season (if not sooner). That helps assuage my fears somewhat. Same goes for DH. We should be able to find one quality 1B and one quality DH out of AJ, Singleton, Gattis, Tucker and White.

And as for Preston Tucker... he is not "playing first base" in spring training from what I understand. I believe he is just taking a few grounders and participating in some (not all) infield drills. They're really just trying to get a feel for his ability at the position. I hope it works out but I'm not ready to feel confident about it yet.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Once you commit to stepping toward the plate, you can not throw to first.

IIRC once you step off the rubber, you can't balk.

Once you get set, there is a bunch of things if you do will cause a balk. My son has starting to play in balk-calling leagues. The most common balks that I have seen are turning your shoulder once you get set while looking at first and moving the glove once you get set.

#2723 No Worries, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yep. Once the pitcher's foot is off the rubber, he becomes a fielder, not a pitcher.

5. Buck Turgidson

Also, he can be on the rubber and throw to a base as long as he steps "directly toward" that base and not home plate. Lots of leeway in that interpretation. His front foot cannot cross the plane of the rubber though, when he does that he has to throw to the plate.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ok, thanks guys. I've never bothered to learn balk rules. They seem weirdly vague and extremely specific simultaneously.

7. bobrek

Except in that tricky throw to second base where all bets are off. :)

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

And that even trickier throw that he steps towards first and then pivots and throws to third.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. Marteen

Marteen Member

It seems Aroldis Chapman will miss season opener vs. Astros

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Statement by <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Yankees?src=hash">#Yankees</a>' Chapman: <br><br>&quot;Today, I accepted a 30 game suspension from Major League Baseball resulting... <a href="https://t.co/uNzflS1J0n">https://t.co/uNzflS1J0n</a></p>&mdash; Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/704772690444353536">March 1, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Hmm... accepting a 30 game suspension, but insisting he didn't put his GF at harm by firing a gun (in the air)... sure.

Anyways, not like they'd be in a position for him to save a game anyways... Astros own the new stadium (should have won 4 out of 4 there last year, but the Yanks eeked out that 1-0 game in extras).

14. bobrek

45+ games would have cost him a year in free agency. Speculation is the commissioner offered him 30 as long as he did not appeal. Had he chosen to appeal, it would have been more games.

15. awc713

awc713 Member

Off-topic, but I wonder what it would take to acquire Giancarlo. It would require one of the largest returns in history, but I'm 100% down.

I think I'd trade almost any combination of players not named Correa, Altuve, Springer, Dallas and Lance. If you're Don Mattingly and Loria, do you really turn down an offer of Reed/Bregman/Tuckers/Martes/Daz/Musgrove/etc.? Over paying Giancarlo 300MM?

I'd offer that. I trust Luhnow's ability to draft and pick up young talent.

Could you imagine a top of the order of Altuve-Springer-Correa-Stanton? Could amount to one of the best orders ever. Stanton would hit 60 dingers in MMP. I love the Bonds pickup, but realistically the Marlins are going to be out of it by the trade deadline anyways.

16. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

The reason you would so easily offer that is because Miami would never take it.

Stanton's in his prime, is one of the top 5-7ish players in the game, and is already halfway to a HOF career. His contract, although heavily backloaded, is quite favorable to the Marlins. If he opts out at age 31, they'll have only paid him $107 million over the first 6 years.

To match his expected level of production, the return would need to be at least two current young border-line all-stars to actual all-stars. Something like the Correa/Springer package that was in the news last year.

A package with zero proven players has no chance. The risk-benefit analysis means 3-4+ players have to be all-stars for Miami to see upside in WAR and that's hugely unlikely, even as much as we may like our prospects.

17. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

Stanton trade discussion were leaked two years ago. Miami requested Springer and Correa. That understandably stopped the talks.

18. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

19. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I think fair value might be Springer & McCullers player-to-player...but when you add in that contract tho... no thanks.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

This is the big reason why it would be hard to trade for him. He won't start making big $$$ until 2018, so the Marlins would need a lot to move him.

Honestly, I don't think a trade like that makes sense for either team. Don't trade stars that far from free agency that aren't preventing you from making other moves, and also don't believe in emptying your farm system for one player.