1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephan Curry is unguardable...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sugrlndkid, Oct 31, 2015.

1. crossover

crossover Member

To give an idea how far from the mean Curry's current season is.

[​IMG]

2. crossover

crossover Member

One more statistic to add to above:

Curry thread - 637 replies 58,990 views
    Jeremy Lin thread - 8,218 replies 629,773 views

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

What curry is doing is absolutely ****ing insane. I replayed that last shot liek 3423233487924 times.

That being said, it puts into perspective that he is nowhere close to MJ. Nowhere.

The sheer insanity of what MJ did while having far less help into hoards of defenders every night for that long of a time. Jesus.

4. VanityHalfBlack

Best player in the game, it's not even close... Really.... Come on guys.... That's Jordan **** right there bruh.

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

How? Watching the games, Curry can pull this ish off in any situation, many of his baskets don't have anything to do with his teammates. Simple screens, ISO, everything, don't need an elite supporting cast for that. People have to stop talking about the teammates or rules, Curry is just insane and not relying on any special rules or team.

I don't see how his insane performances make MJ look better (on offense) and in a different league anyhow.

6. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i dont care what anyone says, curry still sucks!

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You didn't experience Jordan's nuts riding? :p

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

My point is, that this season he is having is very Jordanesque, sustaining it for as long as Jordan did and dominating in the post season is what shows us how difficult the task truly is. You're absolutely right, he is doing what he wants right now.

9. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Wasn't interested in the sport then.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know what rules from the 90's would stop him. I suppose if you were allowed to body him up and bang with him more of the game that would take its toll and lower his fg percentage somewhat.

But I doubt it.

11. MD_in_Training

It's not just the bodying. It's also the fact that you're allowed to put two hands on the offensive player's body at a stop and when he drives. Part of Steph's effectiveness is the fact that he has an above average first step and is deadly when he drives and gets into the midrange area, where his tear drops are basically automatic. With effective hand checking, a strong defender can then crowd him a lot more on the perimeter, while also taking away some of the effectiveness of his drives.

With that said, Steph would have still been an Allstar, borderline superstar in the 80s-90s. Not sure he would be the best in the league...

12. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">What a great shot to win the game by <a href="https://twitter.com/StephenCurry30">@StephenCurry30</a> Welcome to the club young fella. I'm sure it's a matter of time before its yours alone.</p>&mdash; Donyell Marshall (@Dmarsh42) <a href="https://twitter.com/Dmarsh42/status/703801192103731200">February 28, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. T_Man

T_Man Member

I agree with this.. Harper was the main reason for the change of the hand check... He gave Kenny Smith fits.. Harper could control your direction with his hand in your lower back and people forget how much bumping of the body they allowed back then... Today if you touch someone like that it's an automatic foul.

T_Man

14. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Member

I remember four years ago or so when a few of you guys said GSW was going to be a scary team. Mad props to you guys who could see how great they could be. I shrugged it off because they were first round fodder or couldn't even make the playoffs.

15. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

That's because they got Kerr. No offense to Mark Jackson but they would still be a 2nd round exit kinda team if he was still there

16. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Lebron has way more muscle....Haren still last year's mvp?

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think coaches are all replaceable.

18. Icehouse

Icehouse Member

Go to YouTube and look at clips of the 1991 NBA finals and 1998 ECF's. Magic and the Pacers PGs aren't struggling for space because they have weak handles. They are struggling because a 6'7 athletic freak with insane footspeed, length and strength is allowed to use all of those attributes to body them 94 feet. So imagine if a LeBron, Durant or Leonard (I listed the long wings from the other contenders today) were allowed to do that to a dude who's what, 6'3 and 190?

He wouldn't be a scrub or anything but I'm lost on how folks can't recognize the impact that could have. The league didn't change the rules just for the hell of it.

19. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

In the 90's people could hit their arms and elbows while they shoot with no whistle. A foul like that on a jump shooter was called about as often as an illegal screen is today.

20. Patience

Patience Member

That was also due to Kenny Smith's limitations as a player. There were several top notch PGs who could drive to the hoop at will, even in the hand check era, such as Kevin Johnson and Gary Payton.