1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I've seen enough...time to Start Montrezl Harrell at the 4!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sugrlndkid, Feb 26, 2016.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That decision is not up to you.

Personally start whomever you want, the season isn't going to turn out much better.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

I guess you fail to understand floor balance. Do you think it only applies to one side of the ball

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Of course it's not up to me, I never said it was. The conversation was about who SHOULD start. Given that right now there is only one PF available that isn't just embarrassing to watch play, it's pretty clear that Harrell should play the most minutes.

Now of course JBB will do whatever the hell he feels like doing and we'll see how that works out.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

Please read carefully. His ablity to be a better shooter as you say he is then the other horrible pf optios is irrelevant because of the way defenses play him at the moment. Where does harrel play most of the time? Around the paint area. Thats another man defensively to clog the area. Get it? Amazing that needed to be explained.

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

He did a really good job playing along side Harden, JET, Ariza and Beverley in the 3rd...He spent a ton of time covering the perimeter well, hedging long enough and his active hands forced bad passes by their guards. If he was able to play without exclusively playing in the post during that stretch of time, He would fit well along side Dwight as well.

Yes while excessive fouls could be an issue, his energy is something this team's starters desperately needed. Having him just playing like a pest may just energize the rest of the team. How the starters play, will have an impact on how the rest of the guys play...

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

"Sure he's a terrible shooter, but he hangs out at the 3 point line a lot and sometimes defenders look his direction so he spaces the floor"

That's just awesome. I can't believe someone really tried to argue that.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

Nobody is guarding Harrell at the 3 pts line. Thats just ridiculous of you to say. Whoever does that shouldt even be in the league. Stop trying to make something up bc you failed to understand what was being said.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And there's no reason whatsoever to guard Jones or Smith at the 3 point line. If one of them tries to shoot, the smart thing is to just laugh at them. Neither of them actually space the floor....even if not everyone can see that.

9. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Another thing I like about Harrell...The ball does NOT stick to him at all...especially not as much as it does with TJones and Smith who take a long time to make the "next pass"...On offense he fits well because he doesnt need the ball to make an impact...His activity and great hands will yield better results than most expect.

If DMo gets healthy enough to mean much of anything for this season, DMo would totally love playing along side Harrell... and their chemistry would be instantaneous.

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Jones does have that devastating pump fake...drive to the rim...

At least Smith plays defense.

:grin:

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

Funny thing is players do bc they actually take those shots regardless if they are known to make it or not. So they actually do more so than harrell or capella. Just bc you cant see that doesnt mean its not true. Thats just basic basketball. I dont see harrell outside shooting jumpers which is the point being discussed here as far as clogging the paint even more.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

Smiths defense is so great he cant even stay in front of meyers leonard off the dribble

13. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

yea...watch this..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XiTbL6VSQuI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

He def needs to be the first pf off the bench and should see 15mpg.

His energy is great and his skill level has surprised me.

His play in dleague is why I think he's got a future in this league. It's also why I think KJ is not ever going to be a player in the NBA. He doesn't stand out at all like all the other rookies 2nd year guys who get sent to the Dleague. Harrell looks like a guy who is head and shoulders better than everyone out there. KJ looks like a guy who trying to get a 10 day contract rather than a player with a 3/10mil NBA deal.

That's reall worrisome imo.

15. hakeemthagreat

Lmao. Have you noticed DMo's rebounding? Its atrocious just like his defense. We'd be worse with him on the floor

16. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i think smith should keep starting for experience and defense but harrel should be in the rotation no doubt. 15-20mpg. and if he does better than smith then he should start.

harrel off the bench would give us good scoring spark. we dont need more scoring in the starting lineup

17. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

McDaniels has put up decent numbers in the d league

18. varughese.arun

MH is just a rookie playing like he wants to get paid. I will be a believer once he keeps plaYing like this down the line.

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

One downside with Harrell is he gets rookie calls by the refs... like the foul he was called on despite being completely vertical, and the offensive goaltending call when the balls was clearly outside the cone. Same calls that Capela got at the end of last season (and still this season).

But rather have Harrell play with his natural energy and control his minutes since he acts as a sparkplug.

20. Tmac1Yao11

Tmac1Yao11 Member

Harrel > Jones any day