1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets/Pistons/Sixers trade to be voided

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Feb 22, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, it might not suck, but it probably sucks.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Good ole, Slippin Jimmy Morey, trying to lob a dud at the 11th hour for REAL value. Sad to see this one voided.

#102 Ziggy, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  3. rockets2012

rockets2012 Member

I doubt it'd end like this. It's just the opinions of their doctor, and it screwed up other teams involved. I suspect we'd try to change the term of the draft protection instead.

4. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Detroit is just paying us back for voiding the Sean Elliot trade

5. Nook

Nook Member

I don't see how anyone that is a real Rockets fan can be excited about this.

The Rockets lost a first round pick and Motiejunas leaves in 6 weeks.

Nothing good comes out of this at all.

6. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

DET has been clear that they really like DMo. They might have voided this trade but that doesn't stop them from pursuing DMo later on.

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

It's the nature of the beast. Deals will always get make at the deadline because that's when leverage is maximized. There should just be a fail-safe in place for crap like this. If one team can get an extension on physicals, the other should get an extension on re-trading the moved assets if the trade is voided.

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm wondering how much the 5-game slide by Detroit (and 0-2 since the deal) impacted the decision.

I'm just pissed about not having the pick... I've been enjoying looking at prospects now knowing the Rockets would have a shot at some of these guys. Not happening now.

9. malakas

malakas Member

nope. The Pistons can go to the league office show the results of the physical and the doctor and the Rockets and Philly (who btw got screwed as well) have no option.
    A player failed his physical.

10. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Honestly, this kinda sucks.

Happy that DMO is back but this effectively screws over the Rockets.

First, that 1st would have been a welcomed asset for us to either use for a young upside guy or to use in a trade. We don't have very good assets to move the needle of this team.

Secondly, you're adding two player that probably feel at least a tad disrespected by the Rockets back. I think both DMo and Thornton are good guys and don't mind being back but there is always a little animosity to the people that basically said, "We don't want you, go somewhere else.." I mean, we did trade them for Joel Anthony of all people..

Third, this might mean no more minutes for the young guys on the team. KJ and Montrezl have earned minutes for this team, IMO. Both can bring so much to this team that if we aren't going to be a top team, might as while use this time to develop them for the future. It a shame that this might mean they are going back to the D-League.

Fourth, DMo is probably going to leave. I don't think Houston wants to offer him anything more than 8-10M this offseason and DET is clear that they want DMo and will offer a sizable offer. We might have been able to get DMo for a discount had we kept loyal to him but I think trading him might make him go for the biggest offer than to stick with us. DET can now keep their draft pick and sign DMO in the offseason.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yes, that's the process.

The NBA Medical Director is examining their justifications now. It has to be more than they reasonably understood from DMo's current status as rebabbing from surgery.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In the short term it could make the Rockets a better product. Sure they lost a first round pick, and probably lose another when they make the playoffs, but that's something I guess.

13. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Marcus Thornton's agent,Tony Dutt, on <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rockets?src=hash">#Rockets</a> trade with Pistons: &quot;My understanding It's been rescinded.&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/701851918193336321">February 22, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. Layup Drill

Layup Drill Member

Good point. But you could always take it one step further and say that the Rockets execs knew that this scenario was a possibility. I'm guessing the rules are clearly outlined regarding voiding trades if a player doesn't pass physical...but the request for an extension may have been uncommon and not something the Rockets planned for...i don't know.

I'm wondering if the Rockets could have put a "no backsies" clause in the trade contract or if that would have been too suspicious.

15. Lightsnowaction

Bad news for KJ McDaniels.

16. malakas

malakas Member

A very important part of their rotation Tolliver got injured last night and may miss a lot of games.

17. dje243

dje243 Member

This could very well be true.

18. bmd

bmd Member

I was thinking this. Is this not how it works currently?

As long as the Rockets disclosed everything, and nothing new was discovered, then the trade should not be able to be voided.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Seriously, the prospect of having a decent first round pick was kind of exciting, and then the idea that we'd miss the playoffs and have a decent pick and then a low end first was doubly exciting.

This just sucks all around. I have no reason to believe DMO will be back next year and now you have the added baggage of his injury being worse than we thought.

Gut punches all season for the Rockets.

20. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

The hedgehog actually pulled out for once. Coaches shouldn't be GMs.