1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade D-Mo, Thornton to Pistons for first round pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 18, 2016.

?

Do you like this trade for the Rockets?

1. YES

185 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. NO

485 vote(s)
    72.4%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If the trade is voided, it means his health is worse than we were led to believe so it's understandable that Morey wanted to trade him for something and get under the luxury. SVG really wants DMo long term so for the deal to be voided, they would have had to find out something catastrophic. I don't think that'll be the case which means it sucks that we lost DMo. If the trade is voided, it sucks because there's something REALLY wrong with DMo long term and we get nothing for him and are stuck paying the luxury.

This is pretty close to a no win scenario.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Trading a less damaged, but still damaged, D-Mo for a first round pick has always been considered a win by the reasonable, level-headed, non-agenda driven posters.

Those types of trades don't appear all that often... Detroit made an impulse buy that Morey was more than happy to accommodate.

Keep spinning it any way you want to try and save face...

3. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

A lot of people have repeatedly pointed out that one reason for the trade was the the rockets had determined that dmos back was a serious concern (and they had more knowledge than anyone else). That's why despite his potential they were trying to unload him to a team willing to take an injury risk. That's why the meltdowns made by various people here was over the top - it was obvious that a major reason for the trade was the injury. People who think it was solely to get under the cap were wrong - rockets could have pd ably unloaded Beverley to NY for expirings (but apparently asked for more) if they had just wanted cap space.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think the status of D-Mo's back is a binary thing - good/bad. There are shades of "****ed up all to hell", and the issue is how far down the slope he is. If it isn't rescinded doesn't mean he suddenly has a perfect back. It just means it's not quite ****ed up enough to make them hit the do-over button. And the reason they keep doing tests is that measuring exactly where he is on that slope is more art than science.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Physicals are important.

6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Lol Wut.

You did say that as well.

But before you said that you legit said "you can't determine a market now on future action" which is Lolz. That's the entire point of basic finance.

You can anticipate the future market based on some analysis of present conditions and how they'll change in the future. This is obviously very hard to do accurately, but it's 100% possible. Of course, there might be unseen forces that make your analysis moot due to chaos or whatever. But that doesn't mean it's useless. There's multiple fields solely dedicated to this.

You silly thing.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Show me the fields solely devoted to predicting actions by buyers in Auctions of relatively unique commodities 6 months in advance, and I'll show you how inaccurate they say it is for someone like Morey to bet on it enough to base trade decisions upon it. Plus, 6 mos before the auction begins, you would be dealing with the real possibility of lies and false information between buyers/sellers.

Also Dude, you underestimate my knowledge of Game Theory -- as it is part of my required knowledge for my job. What I'm talking about is not Game Theory. And it most certainly is not "finance."

You cannot predict future action by GMs and Agents based on assessing a market now. I already clarified that sentence above. And my whole paragraph should have made that very clear to you that that is what I meant.

Free agency is similar to a blind auction of relatively unique commodities. For the purpose of making very important decisions now (making a trade), you cannot accurately predict actions of GMs in the free agency auctions 6mos in advance based on any intel at this time. The market can change; the buyer needs can change; the commodity/player can change; and your intel can be lies about intended future actions. AND being relatively unique commodities, you have limited historical precedence and data to use to match specific scenarios. As I said, Morey couldn't even predict Cuban's actions 2 weeks in advance wrt to Parsons, or he would have exercised his Team Option to keep Parsons on the cheap.

#1427 heypartner, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

there's a scatter plot showing heypartner owning dudewah

heypartner wins again

[​IMG]

9. Sanity2disChaos

Building threw cap space and future free agency is a crap shoot. The draft is a cheaper and easily evaluation for future decision. Morey should collect as many first round draft picks. He's gonna need them.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He's the no-rebound rebounder.

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I couldn't care less about Dmo or that pick. Neither of them can or will move the needle significantly anyway.

Morey kicks the can down the road again... Collecting "assets" for some pie in the sky trade or FA signing that'll never even remotely materialize, so he'll then draft another Jones/Dmo/Capella/Dekker/White type player and power the hamster wheel for another 3-4 years.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We'll never get guys like Harden or Howard

1 person likes this.
  13. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Not what I'm saying... They're the two things that Morey has gotten right, he just seems to be incapable of building a team around them. From coaching on down.

14. Mr. Clutch

I think last year's team was pretty good. No way to predict Harden would develop a bad diet

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well he was photographed at a Chipotle with Khloe.

16. Mr. Clutch

Should of traded him then.

Isn't chipotle considered somewhat healthy?

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I wish there was such a thing as a healthy burrito.

More:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...o-people-actually-order-at-chipotle.html?_r=0

#1437 Haymitch, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  18. Mr. Clutch

Yeah but you can get it without cheese or sour cream.

Or you can go for the salad bowl

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The crazy thing is That mix of high sodium and high fat and calories is perfect for Pro Athletes. Must be nice lol.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

True. And you could also order apples and water at McDonalds, but ain't no one doing that.

Looking at their sales, it's clear that when people are going to Chipotle, they're getting a big ol burrito.

Really? High sodium is good (or at least OK) for them? I had no idea. Then again, I don't know anything about proper nutrition for athletes!

#1440 Haymitch, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016