1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade D-Mo, Thornton to Pistons for first round pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 18, 2016.

?

Do you like this trade for the Rockets?

1. YES

185 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. NO

485 vote(s)
    72.4%
  1. malakas

malakas Member

Every star will have decide by then saying that dmo offersheet wluld screw the rockets from going after the likes of durant horford fonley etc is misinformation and spinning.

It wouldnt even screw the rockets from going after H.Barnes if they wanted. Oh and btw??? Rfa always talk with the team first and if they see that the team has interest to resign them or match they oftentimes DELAY the signing of offersheets.

So yes. Stop misinforming.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Keeping DMo would screw the Rockets out of an extra first round pick

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You're so blinded by being mad, you can't even comprehend that I don't like this trade. Or you are assuming I'm someone else.

That's how bad you are right now. You won't even allow others to dislike the trade in their own way. They HAVE to hate it on your terms; otherwise, they like it and are spewing FO spin. You're so lame when you get mad like this.

And here's why I don't like it.

I don't like it for the same reason I didn't like the PPatt trade. I want to keep DMo. That's it. Plan and simple. I don't have even care about the salary dump like you to dislike the trade. I don't care about how Morey was able to nab a first rounder for him, rather than losing him to RFA. I want some other team to force him out of our hands like Cuban did with Parsons. If his back issue is too much, so be it. We tried.

But now that it is over and done...I'm rooting for DET to fail.

In your terms, I'm glad SVG dumped his first rounder on us, so he didn't have to pay a rookie this year.

4. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

BTG is right, in all honesty. It's becoming more and more clear why we did it, though. Am I happy with the move? Not at all.

I would rather walk into FA with uncertainty around D-Mo, and him being restricted, than another 15-ish pick; that we will stash in the D-League. If we were to lose Dwight then DMo/Capela is our frontline of the future.

I'm clearly a big fan of DMo. I think he's one of the better back to the basket players, a good 3pt shooter for the 4/5 spot. He's definitely an unique player and his game fits very well with a lot of players. He was also becoming a better and better passer, and much more confident with his overall game.

I really think if SVG utilizes him right, he's the ideal 4-man in that system, along with Stanley Johnson at the 3 and Drummond at the 5.

He's not a star, or superstar, just a unique piece. Fits nearly all systems. We didn't like the risk, the cap hold, the uncertainity given we'll have so much cap room and then still be tied up with Dmo. It's basically a swing for the fences.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Are you saying he's right that it's a bad trade? Or are you saying that it's a pure salary dump, which makes it even worse?

Many of us don't like the trade, and think it is bad. Many of us agree with that. I agree with how you describe it. But to call it a pure salary dump is nonsense to the point of trolling.

6. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Oh, no, it's not a measly salary dump. But Morey is getting himself out of a salary position, he's definitely unwinding here(not willing to bind himself to a pending DMo RFA game).

But it's definitely not just a meager salary dump. Morey likes DMo too much, he likes Dmo the person even more.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

DMo wasn't a part of the "current team on the floor". So what you're saying makes no sense, as is often the case. And the Rockets weren't looking to move Dwight, they probably fielded offers to appease his agent, who never wanted him in Houston to begin with.

Teams that try to integrate new players post-trade deadline traditionally regress. This is something Detroit will try to do but not the Rockets. Teams that stand pat or make minor moves typically do better after the deadline. The Rockets would be in the former category had they tried to integrate DMo after he had a year off from playing pro basketball. So as per usual, the complete opposite of what you assert is the actual truth.

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

LOL at the idea that moving DMo is the only way to dump a little salary. Good lord.

9. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Not for today, but for the off-season it definitely was. He didn't want the cap hold, albeit small, and ongoing RFA status keeping him out of any major sweepstakes.

I don't think Morey considered the move a "salary dump", it was simply opening up many more options(including landing someone really talented with the pick), no constraints in FA, and the maximum amount of space during FA.

Just like we'll tender TJones an offer; but as soon as we get someone worthy, we'll drop it. He wanted to make TJones this extendable too, but I bet he wasn't getting an offer including a first rounder. And on top of that, what happened to Tjones?

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Misinformation and Spinning.... Come on Malakas. I've been pretty clear that its my opinion. You believe whatever the F you want.

But thinking that the D-Mo trade had absolutely nothing to do with free agency when Zach Lowe has said time and time again that the Pistons were gunning for D-Mo in free agency is beyond me.... unless you think Lowe isn't credible which is your opinion but if you do think he's credible then there is literally no way on earth you can rational justify saying that the D-Mo trade didn't have ALOT to do with his free agency and how it would hamper their plans to handle higher priority moves.

I'm just really baffled right now because I have no idea what you kind of fight you and Bobby are trying to fight other than disagreeing to be disagreeable.

And serious "RFA always talk to their team first"... because you have been a RFA player before, or you are a former GM, agent, etc.?? This is a human business, and every situation & negotiation is different.

Take two years ago with Parsons for instance. Parsons was only told to seek the highest offer he could get, and the Rox might or might not match. Cuban came in hard early, and I'd be willing to bet that he told Parsons that if he didn't sign early, the offer would drop or they'd move to other free agents. That just makes sense for a pure negotiation standpoint. I'd do the same.

And Parsons would have been dumb to let the money & the offer walk to wait on the Rockets and Bosh. There was no guarantee from the Rockets that they were going to come close to that offer or another team would offer what Cuban was offering.

So look... again its a human business and every situation will be different depending on the situation. For Detroit and D-Mo, IN MY OPINION (read that.... OPINION) it seems to me very similar to the Parsons/Mavs situation where they weren't going to be waiting around for Durant or Horford to make a decision and they would go hard after D-Mo early, and D-Mo would be a fool to not take the early offer.

I don't see how that is "Spinning" and "MisInformation" but whatever.... Its what my prior knowledge would lead ME to believe.

11. cml750

cml750 Member

By far the worst trade Morey has made. I am really starting to question Morey.

12. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I was a fan of DMo and appreciated having Thornton's scoring off the bench. If DMo is healthy, I would love to resign him if we can make the dollars work. If not that Sabonis kid from Gonzo would be a nice piece to add with the DET pick.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

This trade sucks, and the irony of going all on on a guy named Durant with rebuilt feet.....yet somehow no one questions the lunacy of that.

Or paying Dwight a Max deal 2 years after he had a more invasive back surgery than DMO.

I am just not surprised that the stupid people can't figure out the truth of the matter, that the cheap assed owner/org didn't want to pay for the talent we need to surround Harden and for now Howard....same as Parsons....oh no, better to get a 15th pick that will be years from helping in any significant way.

DD

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I agree with the trade sucking but to call Les a cheap owner that doesnt want to pay is kind of off putting. portions getting paid hinged on Bosh that year and if Bosh wouldve signed, portions would have still been part of this team with 3 superstars and an awesome sidekick. He went into the luxury tax this year cause we were all in with this core. Too bad things didnt work out this year.

15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

He barely goes into Lux tax, then scrambles every year to get under it....Les is KNOWN as a cheap owner - the org is a cheap org.....we make $$$ over winning decisions - it sucks to know that as a Rockets fan.

DD

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Going into luxury tax without a team that can win it all is kind of stupid in my opinion. Its like saying Im all in with a 2-Q in holdem. Like i said, he thought this year we could repeat what we did last year and maybe more, so he invested into the luxury tax threshold, barely or not, he did. Is he cheap? Yeah, but hes a business man and hedges his bets and for that, I dont blame him.

17. dmoneybangbang

The truth according to DD.... Sometimes it's hard to see the forest through the trees.

18. malakas

malakas Member

Oh nope. You said "there's no point arguing about this trade becasue it was the only way"
    That's misinformation. I don't know if you do it on purpose or if you are misnformed yourself.

Going after UFA with capspace and then resigning your own RFA is not rocket science or some super complex master plan. Teams around the league do it every year. And yes teams talk to their RFA first..in fact they talk the year before about extensions to see what they are after, and then they usually also talk during the year.

Oh you are going to compare now Lebron's UFA situation to a normal FA? Years before in a completely different cap environment when Cuban COULD claim "I will take the offersheet away" and be believable, while nowadays no team can say that, since 28 teams will have capspace for days?

After the Harris trade the Pistons would have to throw assets around to convince a team to take on the albatross of Baynes DURING the moratorium (good luck with that!) and then wait for the moratorium to pass AND ask fro a meeting with DMO, and then OVERPAY and then tie their money for days waiting. Meanwhile Drummond their own RFA waiting for his own max extension of 22 million.

The danger is when a team has multiple RFA. Since we shouldn't care about Jones RFA there's no problem.

Btw we STILL have to get rid of Brew, and as I said above with the Pistons and Baynes good luck finding a taker. But Dmo isn't a difference to that. We will have to get rid of Brewer's corpse one way or another.

So it doesn't matter if it's your opinion or not, because it's factually wrong.

19. malakas

malakas Member

yes. Going under the luxury tax is something expected.

BUT getting rid of DMO for that was the worst way to do that. AND throwing away a second rounder on top of that.

20. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Hard to see the truth when you put a GM on a pedastal over players, isn't it.

DD