1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade D-Mo, Thornton to Pistons for first round pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 18, 2016.

?

Do you like this trade for the Rockets?

1. YES

185 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. NO

485 vote(s)
    72.4%
  1. dmoneybangbang

That does make sense. However, I do think inquiring about the injury was necessary as they could have potentially made other moves thay they wouldn't be able to go back in time to make if DMo's back was way worse.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That wouldn't actually screw the Rockets, in fact it wouldn't affect them at all. All they'd have to do is renounce his rights and let him go if that was going to play out that way. Then there would be no difference at all except you wouldn't have hurt the competitiveness of your team at the end of the previous season to end up pretty much exactly the same place.

The move was ONLY done to get under the luxury and DMo and Thornton, being players of actual value, were the easiest to move. No one would take the garbage like Lawson, Brewer, or Jones off our hands so we got stuck with them.

I get wanting to rationalize a move the Rockets made since in the past they have mostly made good decisions but this time around Morey struck out on everything he was trying to do and had to make a desperation move to get under the luxury at the very end. Even really good GM's screw up from time to time, and Morey screwed up this time. Time will tell how badly this hurt the team.

3. sammy

sammy Member

It's still gonna be a pretty good pick. I hope Morey can find an above average player. A 2 way player. We can't rely on D Mo's health at this point.

I think it was a good trade. Opens up minutes solely for Lawson and Jet. Terry's leadership is needed and Lawson has to find a way to get it against the good competition coming up.

4. heypartner

heypartner Member

And you don't call this spin? Fascinating.

And I love the part that another team signing DMo "wouldn't actually screw the Rockets at all" part. Complete hypocrisy. Had Morey not traded DMo, then let another team this summer sign him without matching, you and DD would be all furious all over again...calling the Rockets cheap and how much that strategy is going to screw us.

Your spin doctoring and hypocrisy are weak debating tools.

And I'm not even for this trade. It's so obvious you are just mad.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not spin, it's what obviously happened. If they kept the good part of the team together for the rest of the season and then DMo got an offer they didn't want to match due to chasing FA's then I'd completely understand. If the trade they made was just the first move and there was a bigger move coming to justify it, then it would be understandable. None of that was the case, they just made the team worse solely to get under the luxury.

6. heypartner

heypartner Member

I'm willing to bet Durant will make his decision before the moratorium ends...since every top free agent does it that way now. In that scenario, we can sign DMo to anything still. You'd be pissed off if we didn't match DMo to whatever offer sheet he gets to join Durant, since we'd be instant contenders and should go all in. So, name me another scenario where you let DMo walk, "due to chasing other FAs".

As for your spin doctoring, a pure salary cap dump usually doesn't include getting a mid, first rounder back. Am I correct in interpreting your description of the trade as solely being a salary dump?

7. larsv8

larsv8 Member

If they wanted to get under the luxury tax, all they had to do was send Jones/ Thornton to Philly with the same second round pick to dump the salary.

Dmo was gone either way, and we got a pick out it instead. With or without Durant, you don't pay an always injured mediocre player tens of millions of dollars.

This was a great trade.

8. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

In addition, it spoke volumes about what they believe about his health issues going forward. He's missed a ton of time the last 2 years.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but no one would take garbage like Jones without the Rockets giving up even more assets. That's why Morey had to send useful players to get under the luxury. Now if he worked on only getting under the luxury for the past month, maybe he could have found someone to dump scrubs like Brewer, Jones, or Lawson on, but you sure as hell can't do that with an hour left till the trade deadline after everything else falls through.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

But SVG knows someone who knows DMo and that person said he'd just have to miss every other game due to back spasms.

It's all good

11. larsv8

larsv8 Member

Good lord, you are basically cap / cba illiterate.

We traded DMO and Thornton for Joel Anthony. That did not get us under the tax. Savings were minor.

We paid Philly a second round pick to eat Joel Anthony's expiring 2.5m contract to get under the tax.

If our goal was simply to get under the tax, we could have paid Philly that same 2nd to take Jones 2.5m expiring contract, as well as Thornton.

Your premise , that Jones the expiring contract would cost more to dump than Anthony the expiring contract, like basically everything you say, is incredibly stupid.

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

I love D.Mo, he was my favourite dude/player in this team.

I'm NOT happy with this move, at all.

But if i consider everything, i think it's not a bad move, not great, but definitely not bad.

13. heypartner

heypartner Member

LOLs at TJones expiring contract being hard to use for salary dumping purposes

14. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets were not going to sign Motiejunas to a 4-5 year deal at near max money... Not based on his track record, injury history and current team needs. He does something very well (post game), positional defense.... Somethings okay (passing, running the floor) and somethings very poorly (rebounding, help defense). Overall you have a good rotational big on a 50+ win team...but he isn't a starter on a really good team and he is going to be paid like one. That doesn't even take into account the back issues.

I wish Motiejunas well, Stan VanGundy will find ways to utilize him and give him a level of usage he didn't get in Houston, but none of that changes the fact that the Rockets were not resigning to the offer he is expected to get, restricted or not. Motiejunas' agent knows what the market will bare.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Joel Anthony is better than Jones even without the concussion. Anyway, keep up the good struggle trying to justify the unjustifiable. I'm sure someone will believe you if you keep trying.

16. dmoneybangbang

It's more than that. SVG expects DMo to have occasional flare ups.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What is with you and Jones..... :grin: He is not responsible for Dmo in Detroit.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It'll be interesting to see what kind of offers DMo is going to get as a RFA.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Member

You have a mental disorder and you need help.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't say he was. Were you following the conversation at all? I said that no one wanted the garbage on the Rockets so they had to trade valuable players at the last minute to get under the luxury. Poor planning by Morey is the reason for the awful trade of essentially DMo, Thornton, and a 2nd round pick for the first round pick of a playoff team.